Filed under Opinions

Trump Administration’s DACA decision is the most immoral decision it’s made

Photo courtesy of Creative Commons

On September 5, 2017, Attorney General Jeff Sessions announced that the Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals program, popularly known as DACA, will be rescinded. This would put an end to the Obama-era program that protected around 800,000 illegal immigrants who entered the US as children from deportation and gave them a path to citizenship.

This decision spurred controversy across the nation. While many see this as a completely preposterous action that put many people in danger of losing their livelihood, some see this as a good thing. These people were technically here illegally, so why give them special protection? It only makes sense.

Well, those few people are wrong. Dead wrong. The rescinding of DACA was not only one of if not the most immoral thing that the Trump administration has done, but it is also completely debased from the reality of the situation.

Before we take a look at why rescinding DACA was such a terrible move, it would be best to add some context and deconstruct the reasons why DACA was ever considered being rescinded in the first place. To begin, DACA has its origins with the DREAM Act, a bill protecting illegal immigrants who come to the country as minors. The bill went through congress several times since its inception, but could never fully pass. Seeing this as a problem, then President Barack Obama enacted the Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals program on June 15, 2012, better known as DACA.

And now just over 5 years later, DACA is seen by some groups as an unnecessary program that not only protects potentially dangerous people from leaving this country but also allows many immigrants coming into the country illegally without fear of deportation. This creates more problems at the detriment to law abiding citizens.

But was that actually going to happen? Let’s look at the facts. According to the US Citizenship and Immigration services, the guidelines of those that can apply for DACA protection are that they must have been under the age of 31 by June 15, 2012, came to the US before the age of 16, have continuously resided in the US since June 15, 2007, are in the US when you make your application, must not be a US citizen or here on a visa, are currently in school or graduated high school/obtained a GED, or have not committed a felony or significant misdemeanor. So not only according to these guidelines is it impossible for supposed criminals to be protected by the program, but it’s also impossible for an influx of minors to cross the border to take advantage of the program, as according to those guidelines, they are not eligible for the program.

However, the crimes that disavow you from DACA protection are pretty heavy. It can still protect people who commit minor crimes from deportation. That would be the case, if the statistics did not disprove this fact. According to FactCheck.org, multiple studies have proven that immigrants do not commit more crimes than the average US citizen. So no matter what, saying that a DACA recipient or any immigrant for that matter would cause trouble and commit more crimes is just factually inaccurate.

So generally, if you look at the facts, DACA seems like a fair and balanced program that both protects those who came to the Unites States as children and also makes sure that the only ones allowed to stay were good upstanding citizens already. So why would the Trump administration find anything wrong with the program to begin with?

Let’s go back to the Obama administration. In 2014, Obama made attempts to expand DACA to include older immigrants and the families of DACA recipients. This was seen as too much by the members of the GOP, who already saw the implementation as the president going too far with executive powers. It got to the point where Texas and 25 other states, all with Republican governors, sued the United States government over the expansion. This allowed for that expansion to be blocked. And of course seeing all this hate building up for DACA on the conservative side of things, a certain politician got on the 2016 Presidential Campaign trail, and announced that he, if elected, would eliminate DACA on day one of his presidency. That candidate was President Donald J. Trump.

So there we have it. A program defending the dreamers that came to America as kids not knowing they were illegal has been ended thanks to misinformation and fear spread by 25 state governors and one very powerful man. With 800,000 people facing possible deportation, what can be done to help them?

The answer is simple: fight back. Contact your local senators, city council, mayor, governor, or just an influential community member. Even go as far as to contact each and every one of the current state governors of those 25 states that helped kill this program. Make sure it is known that you and many others want this program to protect these dreamers, no matter what the fear mongering says otherwise. These people are family, friends, co-workers, you name it. The only thing they have done wrong is that their family attempted to give them a better life, even if doing so was illegal. They have not done anything wrong.

So if you know a dreamer, please, do what you can to fight back. Because if you don’t, they may never have the chance to dream on.

7 Responses to “Trump Administration’s DACA decision is the most immoral decision it’s made”

1. Avery Austgen on September 13th, 2017 8:20 am

We already know he is out of his mind. Hes “Making America Great Again” by taking away protection from little kids FORCED to immigrate by their parents?????? Its incredible how he hasn’t been impeached. Getting into power struggles with North Korea is only one bad mistake. He clearly has only made matters worse and if he keeps it up, will get us all hurt.

C28 Reply:

He has not been impeached yet because, regardless of what Liberals think, it’s not Illegal. In fact, it’s easier to try impeaching President Donald John Trump( <3 ) by showing how he's doing nothing about these people illegally residing in our great nation. Laws are Laws, don't be a sheep, but don't be an Anarchist.

2. Dusty Dindu on September 13th, 2017 11:23 pm

If your parents sneak you into Disney World without paying, does Disney World have the right to kick you out? Yeah they do. I don’t care how old you are, immigration has never been easier than it is right now. When my great great grandfather entered this county through Ellis island, if he so much as coughed he would have been sent back to Denmark. Immigration is a privilege not a right. This is one of the most bias and factually incorrect Liam Sweeny articles and that’s saying something.

C28 Reply:

Thank you!!! (and I swear I didn’t see your comment when I did the Disneyland metaphor.)

3. Common Sense on September 18th, 2017 7:28 am

You benefit from the good decisions your parents made. The same goes for when they make stupid and illegal decisions. It is not immoral for the government to kick you out for illegally being here.

4. C28 on September 19th, 2017 7:55 am

Laws

Illegal immigration is not an issue of morality, these children were skewed by their own parents. It is because of their parents decision to break the intranational law of the United States of America that they are facing problems such as deportation. I say we should just deport them all. I don’t believe that it really matters if we “hurt their feelings”. This strong nation needs to prove that we are a superpower and mean business. No Childish games when it comes to breaking the law, when you break any laws, you face the consequences. It’s really not a lot to ask an emigrant to do all of the paperwork and pay the fees to come in. They would become AMERICANS, we don’t care about Americans illegally residing in these great United States. If this issue was about parents who want a better birthday for their kids, and decided to jump a fence at Disneyland to sneak them in, nobody would care, we KNOW that’s wrong and Illegal. so why does this not apply on a National Level?

C28 Reply:

*Skrewed

• Trump Administration’s DACA decision is the most immoral decision it’s made

Opinions

Letter to the Editor: Chromebooks are meant to enhance the classroom

Opinions

The happy medium in the ‘should college athletes get paid’ debate

Opinions

Students receive Chromebooks that already display major issues

May 26 Mane

Opinions

Spinners: The toy that divides a generation

Opinions

Letter to the Editor: Why the story of AIDA matters, and always will

Opinions

Macron’s presidential victory will shape the future of the west

Opinions

Struggles of the Student Athlete

Opinions

April Mane

Opinions

United Airlines causes turbulence with violent incident