Editorial: Compromise is the key to a successful environment

The recent government shutdown has everyone arguing over who is to blame, but there is a bigger underlying issue – our elected leaders’ inability to compromise. Democracy is a key value to our society, along with the belief that everyone should have a voice and be able to input their ideas. With so many different, and usually conflicting, ideas and ideals, compromise has become key to the success of our country.
Given the recent government shutdown, the Stampede Editorial Board feels it is necessary to restate the importance of compromise in any successful society.
The government shutdown was most significantly caused by a lack of compromise by our political leaders. Congress members refused to make deals or budge on their personal convictions in order to help the good of the whole country. Whatever side you stand on, we can agree that both Republican and Democratic congress members were more focused on their own agendas than on what would help put the government back in business. Kids are taught how to work together from a very young age, but our elected leaders, the people we have chosen to lead our country, could not work together and come to a civil agreement on the budget. This lack of one of the most fundamental skills and inability to collaborate and work together for mutual success has been embarrassing to our country.
If a society or group of individuals cannot compromise, nothing will be accomplished. In a group setting, it is crucial to the success of the group that the members focus more on the success of whatever team or organization they are working for than on their individual agendas.
At Metea, there have been very good examples of successful compromise. The administration compromised on the new Technology Policy, allowing students to use their phones in the hallway. Although we all complain about our homework load, teachers can be very accommodating when it comes to due dates in relationship to other assignments or student conflicts, like field trips or concerts. These, and other, compromises are what makes the Metea community successful, a workable society, and an environment to learn. MV StuGo often has to compromise, both between students and in student-teacher relationships, in order for the school functions to adhere to both the students’ wishes and the administration’s standards. Continuing to compromise will not only help Metea maintain our success, but also set an example for students which will allow them to use those, not just in high school, but in other aspects of their life.