Filed under Sports

Weekly Sports Update 9/18-9/24

Kainin Blissett

Kainin Blissett

Graphic by Kainin Blissett

Football (Kellie Foy)

The sophomore team and varsity both lost to rival Waubonsie Valley this past Friday on the Mustang Stadium field. The football unit plays Lake Park this week for its last home game and the Homecoming game.

Girls’ Golf (Kellie Foy)

The girls’ golf team played its last regular tournament on Thursday against Wheaton Warrenville South at home. The team also had the Naperville North Rosie Invite on Saturday. The girls will play at the DuPage Valley Conference on Tuesday at Phillips Park.

Girls Volleyball (Kellie Foy)

The varsity team beat Naperville North on Tuesday, winning 2-0. The freshman A and B team both lost to Naperville North. The varsity team beat Geneva on Wednesday, winning 2-0. The JV and freshman B teams lost to Geneva in two sets while the sophomore team lost in three sets. The freshman A team beat Geneva in two sets. The varsity team lost 1-2 in the Waubonsie Warrior Blast this weekend. The team plays at Naperville Central on Tuesday and at home against Downers Grove North on Thursday.

Girls’ XC & Boys’ XC (Myra Bajwa)

Both teams had a week off last weekend to recover before heading to St. Charles for the St.Charles North Invite on Saturday, Sept. 30. Special shoutout to Rokas Gudinavicius, Brooke Bolger, and Natalie Weisman for being exceptional athletes and the August 2017 Athletes of the Month

Girls’ Swim (Myra Bajwa)

Girls’ swim and dive fought hard against Neuqua on Thursday but were eventually beaten by the Wildcats. Kellie Willhite and McKenna Stone set new pool records and swimmers Alexis Bass, Abby Garza, Brooke Montemayor, and Aimee and Melanie Patterson performed well at the meet. Diver Madi Satinover also showed her skills at the meet. Next, the team travels to Downers Grove South on Friday, Sept. 29.  

Boys’ Soccer (Tyler Burleyson)

Thursday, the varsity lost in an overtime game against Wheaton North, losing 2-1. They quickly turned that around, winning their Saturday game against Glenbard North, winning 4-1 . This week, the team anticipates their Tuesday night game against Waubonsie Valley. The game is at home and starts at 6:30pm. The team returned to Hermes Elementary on Saturday, where they taught soccer to the students there.

Boys’ Golf (Tyler Burleyson)

The varsity golf team took a strong third place finish at the Sterling Invite last Saturday. The tournament was a good way for the team to transition into the final stage of their season, with the DuPage Valley Conference tournament on Tuesday, Sept 26 at Bartlett Hills. The top eight golfers from varsity will play 18 holes in a bid to move on to the IHSA Sectionals and State tournaments in October.

Girls’ Tennis (Tyler Burleyson)

Last Thursday night was a long one for the tennis team. They faced off against conference rival Wheaton Warrenville South in a match that went to 3 sets.  It was the doubles team of senior Madhumita Krishnan and sophomore Isabella Palm that broke the tie. The Mustangs rallied to the end, winning the sets 2-6, 6-4, and 6-1.