Filed under News

BYOU Club offers a safe and helpful environment for the women at Metea

The Young Mustangs Women’s Club, also known as BYOU (Be Your Own U) started out as a small group of girls who talked about their problems and goals in society. These women find something special in their conversations and wanted to share their ideas with our youth. Thus, the club was created and offers a place for women to be safe and respected.

“We were all just doing coffee and all decided that we were all going through something that impacted our lives. What can we do as women to overcome all of these challenges? So we decided to make a girls group,” alumni Desiree Herrera said.

As indicated by the staff and students optimism, the Young Mustangs Women’s Club, filled with an entirely female demographic, gives the youth an opportunity to feel wanted. Students in the club are able to talk about their lives without much restriction, offering a non judgemental environment for these young women. The staff also encourages the youth to achieve, asking what their big achievement for the day was and asking what they will be doing in order to be a successful human being.

“You don’t have to act tough all the time. You just need someone to be there to help you and make you grow and be flourished because it’s hard to be a girl here sometimes. Here, its an open realm to talk about whatever you need to talk about,” senior and BYOU president Madison Simpson said.

The women behind the club found that much of the young females attending have their guard up and have a hard time expressing their emotions. Many times it is hard to get a someone to talk to staff members and authority figures throughout the school. One of the many goals of the club is for the students to relax and express themselves in a positive manner. This in turn creates a new perspective with the authority figures and building a strong bond with teachers and students.

“They see the other staff members and all the other students that are there in a different light. Sometimes when we drop the titles and the rules of this school and you’re just women, I think it lets them let their guard down and feel safe,” freshmen dean Jennifer Reyes said.

Meeting are on Thursdays after school. The Young Mustang Women’s Club is open for all women to join and participate and ensures a safe environment for its youth.

6 Responses to “BYOU Club offers a safe and helpful environment for the women at Metea”

1. bryzky stokes on October 25th, 2017 7:50 am

Very Informational

Balkin Tuffle Reply:

*Informative

2. 谢洋洋 on October 25th, 2017 10:08 am

I think there should be a similar club for boys since the stereotype for them is to “act tough all the time” and because of this they “have a hard time expressing their emotions”.

Just my opinion.

– A woman

Nehc Neb Reply:

I agree.

3. Caleb on November 7th, 2017 9:24 am

Yet there isn’t a MGTOW club in school. Men in today’s society are pushed so hard to make money through mediocre jobs that they hate until they work themselves to death to build a successful family, yet these women’s clubs, and other feminist groups are worried about the false patriarchy that oppresses woman, and in return they fight online with their $800 phones, in the safest country in the world. Clearly woman are not oppressed in the United States. Actual oppression in this country, modern day, is pretty rare. There aren’t massive groups of people that are under oppression everyday in the US and anyone who tries to argue this doesn’t know what oppression is. Working men have a work mortality rate 11 times higher than any woman, 99% of all the hard dirty jobs in the country that move the country forward and advance infrastructure are taken by men, and men make more money in the same job positions as woman, due to the proven fact that men retire later, work more hours, work more when sick, and accumulate more money than woman do, yet woman demand equal respect as men. I respect woman, and you can’t blame them entirely for what I talked about. Female brains are different than male brains, and this explains some things. Woman are more patient and can focus better than most men on a general basis, and this explains why women are more social as well, but this shouldn’t affect what a woman is interested in. Society is to blame for woman not as common in the military, labor filled jobs, and stem fields. While woman are better at care taking, and at home tasks because of the female brain, Woman are still great at all of these jobs men take up. Things need to change.

Caleb Reply:

I also don’t have any problem with a woman’s club, its just not fair to ignore the problems men face.

• BYOU Club offers a safe and helpful  environment for the women at Metea

News

Metea hosts citywide soapbox competition

News

National English Honors Society election results

News

Anderson’s Fandom Frenzy inspires and connects local teens to the YA world

News

Speech holds auditions for this season

News

Latino Heritage Month helps educate students on the experiences of Latino Americans

News

Literary magazine hosts scary story competition

News

Aurora and Naperville Mayors inspire interest in local government

News

Giving back: helping young victims of Hurricane Harvey

News

Is homecoming too early this year?

News

MVHS takes on National English Honors Society