Filed under Spotlight

How old is too old to go trick or treating?

For years, trick or treating has been the most popular Halloween event for children all over the nation. It has been the annual event that brings communities closer together, and sometimes, the only time people actually see their neighbors for once!

Halloween has been a time for people to have fun, dress in costumes, and maybe even try out their favorite spooky makeup. However, the underlying question of this event is usually, “Am I too old to go trick or treating?”

This question has varied from people to people for many years, and it can be looked at from both perspectives. Most teenagers nowadays claim they are ‘too old’ for trick or treating, and have halloween parties instead. Some teenagers are all for Halloween and contribute to trick or treating with friends.

“I think it’s something for all ages and dress up, and everyone’s been doing it since a little kid. It was always my favorite holiday to look forward to and everyone’s personalities would shine through their costumes,” senior Maggie Harter said.

On the other hand, some people think they are ‘too old’ to actually participate in trick-or-treating, and throw a party with friends instead. Among high schools, halloween parties have been common within friend groups.

“Some people do not want to go when they are too old, it’s about preference,” junior Alex Carey said.

Look at the way you want, but there comes to a point where you have to draw the line. When people complain or penalize themselves for having fun and enjoying the same things young children enjoy is when it goes over the line.

Halloween and the events that go along with it has been popular and although some people have different opinions on trick or treating, halloween is a time where people can dress up in costumes and get closer with the community by offering treats and trinkets.

Juthi Saha, Spotlight Reporter
Juthi Saha is a junior at Metea Valley and her first year as a Spotlight Writer for Metea Media. Some clubs she’s apart of are Literature Magazine, Indian Student Alliance, and BPA. In her free time she loves to dance for her community, sing, travel the world, and play with makeup. You can probably find...
Kennedy Homan, Graphic Designer
I am currently a junior entering my first year of journalism as a graphic designer. Outside of school I attend Gamers Club and Improv on the weekly basis, and when I am not attending a club, I develop my drawing skills while selling commissions through online communities. I also love ducks.

7 Responses to “How old is too old to go trick or treating?”

1. red on November 1st, 2017 7:32 am

the whole world’s going wild in terms of news
    and metea media, meanwhile, talks about freaking CANDY of all things
    what a real inspiration

Henna Reply:

Wow, Red. Some optimist you are. If you want news about the world 24/7, go to a news channel, not a high school’s website. It was Halloween. Let people enjoy themselves.

Also, the article doesn’t talk about “freaking CANDY of all things”, it’s talking about age and outgrowing holidays. Did you even read the article?

eli B Reply:

i do agree with red on this
    media is supposed to be there for information that can be of use, especially during a turbulent time like this in america. Talking about Halloween wont really help anyone, we need to educate youth on actual real life problems instead of distracting them from the real world

Nehc Neb Reply:

It’s an article about Halloween on Halloween. Additionally, I personally feel that people are exaggerating how bad America is.

red Reply:

exactly
    this is a media site
    a “fun” feature like this can be every once in a while, but metea media, which is supposedly a news site for the school, never talks about real world problems, crises, and politics- which is what news sites are supposed to talk about. why aren’t there more articles discussing anything serious and not a cute little holiday tradition? think back to april or so when there was a whole article on fidget spinners of all things instead of focusing on the turbulent time of politics we are in. this being a high school news site shouldn’t excuse it from the fact that it never covers real news (the only thing I can find that has anything to do with real news recently is that harvey weinstein article). high school students should learn to be involved in the world around them and to pick a side in the debates of the world

2. Henna on November 1st, 2017 8:13 am

“It’s totally okay if you’re not a kid and still want to go trick-or-treating! Big kids like candy too.” –Nintendo News’s Happy Halloween Article

I’m probably going to switch up trick-or-treating and handing out candy and going to parties each year. When I get older and I can’t pass as a kid anymore, I’ll probably buy a mask and go spoopin’. Who doesn’t love free candy?

3. C28 on November 20th, 2017 7:35 am

16… 16 is too old

• How old is too old to go trick or treating?

Spotlight

District 204 refuses to comply with new law concerning feminine products

Galleries

Gallery: Mustang Improv Show

Spotlight

Chicks provide hands-on learning for genetics classes

Girl Talk with Abbey Malbon

Girl Talk: House of Representatives passes controversial sex trafficking laws

Galleries

Gallery: Downtown Aurora First Fridays

Girl Talk with Abbey Malbon

Girl Talk: Mississippi passes the most restrictive abortion act in the nation

Galleries

Gallery: National Student Walkout

Girl Talk with Abbey Malbon

Girl Talk: Defining the modern feminist

Spotlight

Orchesis hosts the annual Under the Lights Showcase

Spotlight

Super Bowl halftime show continues to create controversy