Spirit Week raises awareness for the "R" Word

Metea’s student body practices their motto -foster positive relationships- as they participate in the Spread the Word to End the Word campaign throughout the week of March 3 in the hopes to stop the use of the “R word”. Spirit week not only gives Mustangs the special privilege to come to school in their comfy, college, superhero, and school spirit wear, but it also gives students a chance to focus on respecting their fellow classmates. On March 5 students were expected to dress in purple and white as a pledge to stop the “R word”.

A member of peer partners, junior Lara Cattani finds it necessary to participate in each daily theme throughout spirit week, Wednesday’s respect theme being the most important.

“I think the word in general is very disrespectful. It is very ignorant and not allowed to be used anymore in many sources. There are a lot of kids with disabilities at school whom may find it offensive,” Cattani said.

Spirit week occurs annually around the beginning of March in which the Special Olympics funds. Metea’s Mustangs are not the only students who take this campaign seriously. The Spread the Word to End the Word campaign is practiced inside and outside of Illinois to stop the use of the “R word”.

Though this is a nationwide event, the campaign expects everyone to wear the same color. This year’s colors were purple and white. In order to make a bigger promotion of the Spread the Word to End the Word campaign, Metea decided to make this a week-long event. The student body chooses themes that others might find fun and be willing to participate in.

Metea attempted to make one spirit day into a spirit week to emphasize the Spread the Word to End the Word campaign, but students were still unaware of the importance of spirit week. Students who were aware of the reason behind spirit week felt we should do this more in the future.

“We should have more events like this because, though we’re a great school and we have a lot of friendly kids, being constantly reminded couldn’t hurt. It will eventually just become natural to not use the ‘R word,’” junior Jessica Driessens said. Spirit weeks are certainly helping the cause, and with programs like peer partners and best buddies that have lots of student involvement, it’s clear that Metea is on its way towards a more accepting environment.

By Stephanie Sorich and Tieara Smith

View Comments (3)

• J

Jordan FredrickApr 8, 2014 at 8:28 am

My best buddy and I HATE the “R” word!!!

Reply
  • D

Debbie DownerMar 27, 2014 at 11:03 am

did it really? cuz honestly i think maybe 5 people in the entire school knew about it

Reply
    • S

StopMar 28, 2014 at 8:19 am

stop being such a Debbie Downer

Reply