Do teachers really care?

Kennedy Homman

Kennedy Homman

According to Julia Ryan, studies show that out of students who get mostly A’s, 17% only get an hour of homework, and only 7% got 3 or more hours of homework. Students receive way too much homework leading to unhealthy lifestyles and poor grades. Teachers, if you really care about our education, then maybe it’s time to think about the amount of homework you assign.

Being a student in high school, I understand that teachers will need to give some homework every few days to help us practice study skills on our own, but when you, our teachers, give us too much homework we worry more about finishing it then the quality of our work.

During my freshman year of high school, many students, along with myself felt very stressed about the amount of homework given. For some people, the classes where we got the most homework were the classes where we learned the least and did the worst in.

According to a study published in the Journal of Experimental Education, students have an average of more than three hours of homework every night, and many of which getting more rather than less.

Our social lives are important, and we value the time we spend with our family and friends. Being social helps us to relieve stress and get through school together. It also has a number of benefits to physical and mental health including longer lifespan, stronger immune system, improving your mood, decreasing feelings of depression, and even a lower risk of dementia. “The results offer empirical evidence that many students struggle to find balance between homework, extracurricular activities and social time, the researchers said. Many students felt forced or obligated to choose homework over developing other talents or skills”(news.stanford.edu). We are also always being told to join clubs, sports, and other extracurricular activities but often are discouraged or worried that we will not be able to being so busy with homework after coming home from a day of learning. When we are spending most of our evening doing homework, we only have a little bit of time to spend being social or being active. For example: ne day after school, I had a game, and I didn’t get home until 8 pm. I also had a lot of homework and multiple tests the next day. I wound up staying awake until three am and soon found that I did poorly on the tests and on the homework questions too.

The amount of homework you give also causes a lot of stress in the lives of students and causes them to go to bed late which makes them not get enough sleep, which can be very unhealthy. Also, in a study, it was found that only 15% of teens get 8 ½ hours of sleep on school nights. According to sleepfoundation.org “During sleep, important body functions and brain activity occur. Skipping sleep can be harmful and even deadly, particularly if you are behind the wheel. You may feel moody, and you perform poorly. Sleepiness can make it hard to get along with your family and friends and hurt your scores on school exams…It can even help you to eat better and manage the stress of being a teen.”

According to the Washington Post, over 99 percent of surveyed students say that homework stresses them out, 56 percent say that homework causes most of their stress, and

43 percent say that tests cause most of their stress.

Homework can also have health consequences.

“Many students wrote that homework causes them to sleep less than they should and leads to “headaches, exhaustion, sleep deprivation, weight loss and stomach problems” as well as a lack of balance in their lives” according to the Washington Post. 

I understand that teachers give homework to help students continue to learn, but when students go to bed later they will be more tired the next day which makes it harder for them to learn and obtain the key information that they learned that day.

According to Metlife, studies have shown that more teachers with zero to five years of experience give over an hour of homework than teachers with six or more years of experience. Teachers with more experience understand that giving minimal homework will help the students rather than hurt them.

Students spend 7 hours of their day at school with each class being close to an hour and teachers should have enough time to teach their lesson for the day while giving students time to start their homework. Giving an excessive amount of homework, teachers lead students into an unhealthy lifestyle; therefore, they should limit collective homework to 1-2 hours a night. If teachers assign less homework, then students will in turn be more motivated to do after-school activities, spend time socializing, and get a healthy amount of sleep.

21 Responses to “Do teachers really care?”

1. ... on February 1st, 2018 8:17 am

So let me get this straight…BECAUSE TEACHERS GIVE HOMEWORK MEANS THEY DON’T CARE!!!!!!!!?????????? THIS IS THE MOST RIDICULOUS ARTICLE EVER!

... Reply:

If you get stressed out at night it’s because you prioritized socializing over school work it’s not the teachers fault it’s your fault.

darkstripe Reply:

you do realize that there’s a thing called overwork, right? some curriculums really do offer far too much homework for the students to handle. on top of this there are anxiety disorders that can cause easy stress, especially when it comes to school and tests. on top of this some students have parents that are very strict about what grades their child receives. there are many reasons that a student can be stressed over school, and not prioritizing is only one of them

Henna Reply:

Okay, try not to break your shift key, buddy. Another thing you should try is reasoning why. Otherwise you look like a screaming 5-year-old getting mad at Call of Duty.

... Reply:

So now i’m a 5 year old because i think an article is ridiculous. Last time i checked i’m entitled to my opinion.

darkstripe Reply:

you are entitled to your opinion, but holding the capslock and adding on like five exclamation points isn’t a very good way to present it.

Nintendo #1 Fan Reply:

We should all avoid homework and play Nintendo!

Reality Doctor Reply:

I agree with Nintendo #1 Fan

That's Harsh Reply:

I agree with both of you!

darkstripe Reply:

now this is an idea i can support

Reality Doctor Reply:

Nintendo rocks!

That's Harsh Reply:

I like you, because you’re like the coolest person other than Brandon Yechout and I on Metea Media

That's Harsh Reply:

Plus you’re not harsh.

2. darkstripe on February 1st, 2018 8:27 am

If you want to see proof that less homework and less emphasis on tests works better on students, check out Finland’s schools. They have some of the top-ranking schools in the world, and yet their classrooms compared to ours are like night and day.
    http://www.latimes.com/opinion/op-ed/la-oe-0318-doyle-finnish-schools-20160318-story.html

3. Nintendo #1 Fan on February 1st, 2018 11:57 am

How do I create articles?

Nintendo #1 Fan Reply:

If I don’t know by March 16, then there goes my Kirby Star Allies review and Letter to the Editor Super Mario Odyssey

4. Danielle on February 2nd, 2018 3:53 am

I understand this argument, however you have to realize that the blame cannot lay entirely on teachers. There is a curriculum, topics that must be covered and tested on by the end of the year, approved by the district board. Teachers are not always able to cover everything needed in class, and homework is necessary to cover the gaps of what cannot be practiced during class. Worksheets are published by companies, copyrighted and numbered–teachers do not create these on their own to give out to a class to create stress, it’s part of the curriculum.

Teachers, for the most part, /care/. It is why we are able to ask questions, are able to work on a worksheet at the end of class if there is time to do so. Homework also acts as ‘cushioning’ for our grades, preventing a poor grade on a test from completely tanking our grade. I completely understand and agree that there is too much homework in most classes, however it is not that teachers don’t care, it’s that they don’t really have much of a choice.

Students are allowed to schedule appointments with the district office and give proposals/presentations, so if one could come up with a strong argument encouraging a lesser amount of homework rather than stating that teachers don’t care, more progress could be made.

darkstripe Reply:

my hot take: teachers are unfortunate victims as well of the students of the american school system, which needs to change drastically.
    down with common core

5. nmrwkdbvfouwlgbdzspoislhgiwledvgiulwedgfoikjeuidakl fuyzvikcgduycvfbylwsrbdsiuedfbvgiudabwlegviylws on February 2nd, 2018 7:53 am

groundhogs day is a lie

darkstripe Reply:

groundhogs day is a lie
    groundhogs day is a lie
    groundhogs day is a lie
    groundhogs day is a lie
    groundhogs day is a lie

starring bill murray

6. nice on February 14th, 2018 11:28 am

We need more letters to the editor. They get some pretty top notch comments.

• Do teachers really care?

Letter to the Editor

Letter to the Editor: Speak up about sexual harassment

• Do teachers really care?

Letter to the Editor

Letter to the Editor: The Dickey Amendment

• Do teachers really care?

Letter to the Editor

Letter to the Editor: Walkout or political rally?

• Do teachers really care?

Letter to the Editor

Inconsistent Deans cause confusion among students

• Do teachers really care?

Opinions

Back in Iraq: How the Syria strikes are the start of the next War on Terror

• Do teachers really care?

News

Vote for Senior Superlatives

• Do teachers really care?

News

Submit your Senior Shoutouts

• Do teachers really care?

‘Invasion of Privacy’ raises excitement in the Cardi B fandom

• Do teachers really care?

News

Heartland Blood Center hosts drive for Metea students

• Do teachers really care?

News

An inside look at the Metea L.I.F.E. event

Do teachers really care?