Filed under Entertainment

Valentine’s Day Alternatives: Gamers Style

Are you sad about not having a lover this Valentine’s Day? Don’t worry, because with the help of video games, the gaping sized hole of loneliness in your heart can be filled! Find romance in a variety of ways this holiday with virtual love.

The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild

Starting with the best game from 2017, this fabulous adventure is more than just stunning graphics and engaging storytelling. It also has beautiful characters that are just eye-candy galore. Sure, you have Zelda, the princess of Hyrule herself, but with a cast filled with characters including Mipha, Urbosa, Prince Sidon, and Link, who needs genuine relationships?

Life is Strange

Life is Strange is a beautiful game that takes on time travel and the idea of the butterfly effect. The game focuses on Max, the artsy protagonist on a mysterious journey with an overlooking decision, do you date Chloe or Warren? All of your decisions matter, and so does the person you end up with. Your best option is Chloe, a blue-haired troublemaker who reeks of anarchy and mystery, but then there is Warren, the male love interest who is a movie nerd. Take this Valentine’s Day to make important decisions in your life.

Super Mario Odyssey

Super Mario Odyssey is meant for the gamers who despise love and want to spend Valentine’s Day seeking revenge. Destroying Peach’s wedding with Bowser is the overarching conflict. If this Wednesday you’re finding yourself rather repulsed by the mere thought of romance, this game will be a great way to take that out.

The Elder Scrolls 5: Skyrim

Another game filled with weddings is Skyrim. However, unlike Super Mario Odyssey, Skyrim’s marriages aren’t part of the story, but whoever you chose to marry can bring benefits to your journey. Spouses can be a great addition when facing dragons and trolls. The best part of this is that when they die in combat, they come back to life. This, in a loving sense, breaks your death-do-you-part-vow. Skyrim is perfect for those who just want someone they can rely on over and over again.

Stardew Valley

Stardew Valley is a great game for those who love money. Not on the receiving end, but the giving. This pixelated farming simulator has more than just cows and chickens, it has a lot of marriage candidates. You’re able to swoon anyone, male or female, if you’re willing to give away your life savings. If you give them enough diamonds, they might even make you breakfast.

The Stanley Parable

If this Valentine’s Day you find yourself wanting to be alone, try out The Stanley Parable. You play as Stanley, the only worker in a large empty business, trying to find anyone or anything that resembles life. With only a narrator who occasionally gives guidance, you wander in silence for hours. How lovely.

Pikmin

Instead of swooning over someone else, have fun with an army of fans to do your bidding. In Pikmin, you play as a mini astronaut who landed on a mysterious planet. With the help of creatures called Pikmin that you find along your journey, you’ll be able to solve puzzles and fight enemies.When crossing a planet filled with creatures that want to eat you, you’re not able to fight, but your Pikmin can. Pikmin will sacrifice their life for you, and that keeps you safe. Love is in the air with Pikmin, just like their souls.

L.A. Noire

Don’t want to fall in love with another being? Try falling in love with your career! In L.A. Noire, your passion for completing detective missions will be just as rewarding as completing a successful date. Who knows, on a mission you might be drawn into an action-packed battle! Now that is an entertaining way to spend your Valentine’s Day alone.

Kennedy Homan, Graphics Editor

Kennedy Homan is a person of many different problems. She likes ducks too much, she throws stuffed animals at people in school, and she has no social life due to drawing too much. Her haircut might as well be copyrighted due to it never changing, and her sense of fashion is wearing black capri every day of school no matter the weather. She strives to do graphic novels, but she isn’t a creative writer, so her future is semi-planned out.

44 Responses to “Valentine’s Day Alternatives: Gamers Style”

1. прямой белый самец on February 14th, 2018 7:26 am

the only good game i can find in this list is skyrim

2. zachary Min on February 14th, 2018 7:28 am

IM LONELY 4 life

3. Nehc Neb on February 14th, 2018 7:34 am

meme.

4. Nehc Neb on February 14th, 2018 7:34 am

the art’s pretty good tho.

5. Nintendo #1 Fan on February 14th, 2018 8:02 am

You don’t know us because NONE OF THIS IS TRUE! Stop treating Super Mario Odyssey terribly.

6. Reality Doctor on February 14th, 2018 8:03 am

I know right.

7. Nintendo #1 Fan on February 14th, 2018 8:19 am

Treating Mario like he has serious mental issues.

8. darkstripe on February 15th, 2018 8:22 am

they don’t seem to realize the whole point of the game. someone in that class hates mario, but i don’t know who

9. Nintendo #1 Fan on February 15th, 2018 1:38 pm

The creator of this article hates Mario, and non credible.

10. Minnow on February 20th, 2018 7:34 am

You don’t know the writer and you cannot say that with such certainty. Also there should be an “is” in that sentence and no comma. You’re a high school student. Come on, man.

11. Minnow on February 20th, 2018 7:36 am

Your Logical Fallacy: Ad Hominem
    Your Friend: Google

12. Minnow on February 20th, 2018 7:35 am

This is the same writer who wrote the article praising Odyssey. Also she IS “one of you” and you really should stop assuming things and presenting them as facts.

13. Nintendo #1 Fan on February 21st, 2018 8:36 am

She isn’t if she thinks that Mario Odyssey wouldn’t be good because Mario is in a GTA type setting and based things off old games. The way I give my opinions and comment is none of your concern and there are plenty of you who shoot people down for, oh you know, GIVING THEIR OPINIONS! I don’t accept her as one of us. The Odyssey article was her praising the game but had ridiculous points given, so yeah. I can assume.

14. Nintendo #1 Fan on February 21st, 2018 8:52 am

Let’s also not forget that in the graphic, Bowser’s horns are red, and it feels as though she sounds like she plays a lot less in her life than she gives herself credit for.

15. Nintendo #1 Fan on February 23rd, 2018 11:41 am

Yeah, like I’M assuming. Makes sense doesn’t it? Sure. It doesn’t.

16. Confused Metea Student on February 14th, 2018 8:07 am

Isn’t Valentines Day for gamers just hanging out with your best friend eating pizza?

17. Minnow on February 20th, 2018 7:33 am

Nah. It’s to gather up all of your money to buy all of the chocolate on sale on the 15th.

18. Confused Metea Student on February 21st, 2018 8:37 am

I mean in a “single on valentines day” point of view.

19. Blake J on February 14th, 2018 8:57 am

Normally I keep from commenting, but I absolutely must say: When talking about romance in games, how can you miss Fire Emblem (specifically, Awakening and Fates). While leading an army, get them all married to each other and marry someone yourself, and then get all of their stupidly powerful children… Who you then pair with each other! Also, in the case of fates, whenever you go to your house you’ll be greeted by your spouse once you get one, who’ll pretty much always shower you in love. Try not to get them killed. Or be a coward like me and play on casual. Then they’ll just come back.

20. Minnow on February 19th, 2018 7:42 pm

Oof. Me too. Also my Morgan is terrifying on the Battlefield. Power level is the strongest in the army.

Learning the family trees of everything in Fates is fun, too. Confusing, but fun xD

(Also everyone is too attractive in Awakening and Fates [I’ve been married like 7 times {I don’t count Chrom on my first playthrough of Awakening}] and I can’t find a boyfriend in real life help me)

21. Mario Canon Expert on February 14th, 2018 9:33 am

By no stretch of the imagination is the wedding in Odyssey Peaches idea. Last I checked being locked in the Binding Band while dangling from a large height while Bowser threatened to roast her best friend was not something she liked.

22. Esteban C on February 14th, 2018 10:20 am

Dope

23. XDFallenGamerGurlllll on February 14th, 2018 10:33 am

Im a gamer girl looking for a gamer bf XD 😛 😉 😀 XDDDD

24. Slurpy Soup on February 14th, 2018 2:58 pm

For real?

25. Minnow on February 16th, 2018 7:35 am

Ew. No. Go away. We don’t need your cringe here. As an actual female video game fan, I can say that without a doubt, your spirit Pokemon is a Salazzle. Look it up.

(Step up your game, Metea Media. I’d say this base comment breaks 2 of your guidelines.)

26. poke girl on February 16th, 2018 8:50 am

i can affirmatively say ur spirit pokemon is trubbish

27. Minnow on February 20th, 2018 7:30 am

ur grammer n speling is trubbish1!

You have nothing to do with this, Garbodor. Unless you’re this “XDFallenGamerGurlllll” giving me a disease. Then you have everything to do with this and you should stop.

28. darkstripe on February 22nd, 2018 12:51 pm

metea media really likes its dosage of ad hominem in the morning

29. Nekojishi on February 14th, 2018 11:42 am

Nekojishi is a good game play it for cat boys.

30. Slurpy Soup on February 14th, 2018 2:57 pm

Video games fill the void that is my heart.

31. PlayStation Generation on February 14th, 2018 6:17 pm

Skyrim, a wonderful game, one of my favorites to play. But the Stanley Parable is also a decent game. really looking forward to Death Stranding

32. gamingdud on February 15th, 2018 10:58 am

The best game on this list is Stardew Valley. 10/10

33. Reality Doctor on February 15th, 2018 1:39 pm

This is non credible and opinionated.

34. Minnow on February 22nd, 2018 7:28 am

This is a simple list of good games to play if you have your hormones under control, unlike most of this school. Nothing is opinionated and creditable sources aren’t needed. This is based on experience and are just recommendations. Also it’s under “Entertainment” and not “News.”

35. Reality Doctor on March 5th, 2018 7:27 am

Nope, opinionated.

36. Minnow on March 5th, 2018 9:00 am

Well, what would you have liked her to have written? Let’s start with that. Let’s start with everything you find “opinionated” and how YOU would change it.

37. Reality Doctor on March 5th, 2018 11:12 am

I would’ve been wiser, more credible, and honest with what I had to say. Clearly, I think the points given were petty, and opinionated. I play the game all the time like it’s everything and I can give my thoughts. I doubt you or anyone else cares enough about the game or gaming in general other than me or Nintendo #1 Fan, so I think you shouldn’t say anything.

38. Reality Doctor on March 5th, 2018 1:41 pm

If I wanted her to say something else, it would be to give the game 10/10 and the fact that she was skeptical of the game because Mario is a meme in GTA is absolutely NOT credible and extremely petty.

39. Triple Joystick Controller on February 15th, 2018 1:52 pm

what about flappy bird

40. Triple Joystick Controller on February 15th, 2018 1:52 pm

omg yasss

41. Triple Joystick Controller on February 15th, 2018 1:53 pm

good point man, i also think that infinite warfare is the best

42. Minnow on February 20th, 2018 7:27 am

Yo stop replying to your own comments, it’s awkward to read.

43. Minnow on February 20th, 2018 7:38 am

Fallout 4 is the opposite of this. EVERYONE YOU LOVE IS DEAD (Shaun is ummmmm spoilers)

• Valentine’s Day Alternatives: Gamers Style

‘Bad Times at the El Royale’ is a suspenseful mystery with a killer ensemble cast

Super Mario Party brings the franchise back to the golden age

‘Venom’ is a rocky but promising start for Sony’s universe of Marvel characters

“Night School” is a disjointed comedy with a surprising amount of heart

‘Anthony Bourdain: Parts Unknown’ starts host’s posthumous season

Olivia Munn leads a promising but forgettable cast of bumbling misfits in ‘The Predator’

I Have No Mouth and I Must Scream Analysis

Anna Kendrick shines in stylish but overcomplicated thriller

Staff Playlist

Stampede Staff Playlist: September Edition

Ben's Guide to Musical Theater

Ben’s Guide to Musical Theater: Come From Away