Filed under News

OLAS dance exposes students to latin music and culture

Students were able to experience Hispanic music and culture at La Primera Flor, a dance put on by the Organization of Latin American Students this past Friday. The dance featured songs in Spanish and Portuguese, as well as various genres of music such as bachata, merengue, and reggaeton.

“We were able to organize something that I think everybody can enjoy. The thing about dancing and the Hispanic culture is that dancing is not only a form of fun but a form of expression and we want to invite that into other cultures besides Hispanic culture,” senior and OLAS member Noel Rodriguez said.

The dance was open to all Metea students. One of OLAS’s leaders, senior Ariadna Mondragon, expressed her hopes that the dance would become as prominent as dances like homecoming or turnabout. She also expressed that in the future OLAS hopes to open the event to the rest of the community and why that was so important to Hispanic students.

“Usually we don’t get a lot of significance or we don’t really pop out there like other people do, so we want to make this pop we want to be able to speak, we want to show the way we are,” Mondragon said.

Both Rodriguez and Mondragon, who have been members of OLAS for four years, mentioned how important the showcasing of Spanish culture was too Hispanic students who otherwise might be afraid to share their voice.

“We need to show people that we can be a lot more than stereotypes give us, and I’m sure that’s the same thing for every other cultural club…We try to highlight that as much as possible, that on top of doing volunteer work and hosting events,” Rodriguez said.

Thuy-An Nguyen, Headlines Reporter
Thuy-An Nguyen is a senior and a headlines writer. This is her first year on the staff and when she’s not drawing or painting on anything she can find, you can find her taking photos, reading three books, and trying to achieve a hip life aesthetic.
Aimee Leal, Photographer
Aimee Leal is a junior who is a first year photojournalist for Metea Media and a newbie on the Metea Cheer Team. She loves good dad jokes and pretty much laughs at anything.

17 Responses to “OLAS dance exposes students to latin music and culture”

1. Anonymous on March 19th, 2018 7:50 am

I think that this dance was very useless because many people didn’t go and it really didn’t promote Spanish culture.

Annoyed Reply:

Not sure where this comment has any accuracy, 80+ came, brought friends and had a good night. The candy, food, and drinks contributed to some aspects of Spanish culture, and it contributed about as much as a dance should. Not sure what you expected.

just sayin Reply:

Dance wasn’t useless the dance promoted something us Latino students wouldn’t have at an event like homecoming or at turnabout or prom this was a major deal for us because the dance was our version of that it was most definitely was way more fun then turnabout and homecoming combined

Anonymous Reply:

How is it useless if upwards of 80-90 + students attended it? I can speak for everyone and say that the dance was very fun for everyone, all latino/a students got to embrace their culture. I for one, went to the dance and it was very entertaining and fun to see everyone get together.

Hello Reply:

I think your comment is very useless.

Reality Doctor Reply:

Wow guys

Annoyed Reply:

wOw gUyS

Reality Doctor Reply:

Jeez guys, real cool

Anonymous Reply:

I don’t really were can you say that is useless because that is very disrespectful from who ever said that. How would you feel if someone said something from your culture wasn’t necessary or useless?

Anonymous Reply:

Just to let you know that “Spanish” is not a culture, it’s a language. Second, this was dance and it was meant to show what kind of music we dance to and what kind of snacks we eat. It was not going to show you the whole Hispanic Culture, it was going to make you have a perspective of how we celebrate.

2. Sara Gongora on March 19th, 2018 12:04 pm

The Latino dance was a way to show the way Latinos come together with their type of dance rhythm once again. Homecoming is mostly for American kids, us Latinos miss this type of dance and the social unity from our countries. We don’t get judged for how we move, is something normal for us to share and be ourselves. This dance is important to Latinos, other people may not see it, but it is truly a great moment to bring back your culture for the night. Thank you for the organization of this dance.

Gilberto Rosado Reply:

Exactly as Sara said that’s how we Latinos want to show our ways, what we do and all that.

3. Alexandria Barrera on March 20th, 2018 8:27 am

The Olas dance was a hit!!!!it was so fun and the music was great,It wasn’t useless and several people showed up!I had a great experience and I got the chance to appreciate our culture and our people.More people need to get involved and learn about other cultures other than their own.

4. Alexandria Barrera on March 20th, 2018 8:28 am

The Olas dance was Awesome!!!!it was so fun and the music was great,It wasn’t useless and several people showed up!I had a great experience and I got the chance to appreciate our culture and our people.More people need to get involved and learn about other cultures other than their own.

5. Esteban on March 20th, 2018 1:49 pm

it was LIT :O

Dheeraj Peddinti Reply:

Esteban as in Esteban Julio Ricardo Montoya de la Rosa Ramirez?

6. Just Someone on April 9th, 2018 10:21 am

This was a pretty cool dance, not to mention a great new way to experience the Latino culture, and even meet new people. To the person who said this was “useless”, i’m guessing you don’t know how fun this was. So in this case, thinking the dance is “useless”, I guess your brain IS “useless” to use, to open up your mind to a new culture. Good joke, please tell another one.

• OLAS dance exposes students to latin music and culture

News

Unified basketball team receives mayoral recognition

News

‘Our Town’ introduces new take on theater

News

BREAKING NEWS: Student found with a knife at school

News

LMC holds author visit with actor Keegan Allen

The Mane

The rise of kids dropping Encore classes

News

WE Day motivates students to make a difference

News

Senior checkout in LMC to return Chromebooks

News

Vote for your most influential teacher

News

Submit your questions for Keegan Allen

News

Submit your “Senior Secret”