Filed under News

Student found with starter pistol and knives in car

Valerie Morrice

Valerie Morrice

Principal Dr. Darrell Echols sent a message to parents and students to alert them of an incident that occurred earlier in the day last Friday, April 6. A student was investigated after it was brought to the attention of building administrators that he or she had a gun in the car. Upon investigation, law enforcement found a starter pistol and two knives in the student’s car in the parking lot.

In his message to parents, Dr. Echols said, “A student reported a rumor to our staff about another student possibly bringing a weapon to school. We immediately contacted the Aurora police and found a student had an unloaded athletic starter pistol and two knives in a car in the parking lot. The police determined the starter pistol did not contain any of the blanks used in athletic events and was not capable of causing harm. At no time were any of our students threatened or harmed.”

The size and type of the knives are not known.

“[The weapons were brought to the attention of building administrators] around 8:45 and it was all buttoned up and handled by 10:00,” Dr. Echols said. “[A lockdown] was considered but we decided because the threat was outside that there was no immediate threat to students in the building so we wanted the learning to continue,” Echols added.

Students were upset that they were unaware of the incident. “I think the school responded a little inappropriately because immediate action for the safety of the students should have been taken, such as informing us and initiating a lockdown until there was an investigation and making sure no one was in harm’s way,” junior Naomi Douglas said.

The call also included a message directly for parents. “Please discuss with your child the importance of making good decisions to keep our school safe,” Dr. Echols said.

“Also, I think it’s inappropriate that the school told our parents over the phone to have a private discussion with us when in reality we should, as a school, be talking about this as well, because it can’t be swept under the rug. School shootings are a real and ongoing issue and we need to draw attention to it and raise awareness. I think it’s ridiculous that there wasn’t [a lockdown] considering we put so much effort into yearly practicing, but when it comes to the situation we act as if it’s not needed,” Douglas said.

33 Responses to “Student found with starter pistol and knives in car”

1. Reality Doctor on April 13th, 2018 7:25 am

Thinks to those mental ruffians, there won’t be a pep assembly.

2. Anonymous on April 13th, 2018 7:31 am

School shootings are bad news and they really need to be prevented. I believe that we should have had a lockdown because it would make more sense to protect students. We should also be more vocal about weapons and why they are bad.

Caleb Berry, a proud yet concerned patriot Reply:

please talk to me about this, I want to hear your opinions. My Gmail is [email protected]

3. ;l on April 13th, 2018 7:32 am

Thank goodness it was found out.

4. Nikki C on April 13th, 2018 8:43 am

So we are just going to wait until someone is inside the building and threatening us with weapons until we take action???

5. no thanks on April 13th, 2018 8:54 am

Seriously?
    An athletic starter pistol and a couple knives causes a school lockdown? That seems slightly ridiculous.
    A starter pistol doesn’t even fire projectiles; it just makes a loud noise. Disruptive, sure, but hardly unsafe.
    As for knives, I don’t see anything wrong with keeping a knife or two in your car for utility. My family keeps multitools (with knives) in each of our cars in case we need them for any reason.
    I understand that school safety is important, but this is just oversensitive.

no Reply:

True

Your Nightmare Reply:

This world is messed up!

Mama Reply:

Why would you need more than one knife? I mean, I get there are different types and all, but one utility or Swiss Army knife should be fine. Two, though? I don’t see the point from a regular, just-in-case standpoint.

no thanks Reply:

We keep a smaller multitool in the glovebox and a larger, sharper, and overall more useful multitool in the emergency kit in the trunk.

Mama Reply:

Oh. That’s understandable, then. Of course, those are only family cars, I’d think. None of your siblings (if you have any) have cars, right? In my opinion (not that it matters on the Internet, haha) adults’ cars having things like that is totally fine, but a high-school student’s personal vehicle is a different story.

6. Peeved Pleb on April 13th, 2018 10:08 am

This person is doing this for attention…why are we giving that attention to them?
    -From someone that said this next to me.

7. yee yee on April 13th, 2018 11:00 am

Why is it that the school feels the need to try to protect us from news like this by saying that the assembly was canceled due to “a lack of interest”?

Mama Reply:

I agree. If that was really the reason, they would have stopped even trying to host pep assemblies years ago.

clarification Reply:

The assembly was canceled for lack of interest. They cancelled the assembly early in the week, how could they have cancelled it if it was because of a possible incident that wouldn’t happen for a few days.

clarification Reply:

Sorry I was confused on when the incident happened. I misunderstood which friday it happened on. I take back my statement.

8. Trevoroni and cheese on April 13th, 2018 11:06 am

Thank you for making this public and helping us realize that things are often swept under the rug. There are several incidents that need to be talked about so that they can’t happen again but nobody is encouraged to talk out. I’m glad that this is on the front page of Metea Media so that people can see this important message.

clarification Reply:

1. These things are always public and parents are always contacted. If you don’t talk to your parents its not the district’s fault if you don’t know.
    2. How is notifying the student body about a knife and starter pistol on campus gonna prevent an incident in the future? This was a good event seeing as it was told to the administration and the problem was addressed.
    3. Everything that is posted on MeteaMedia is on the front page. It just goes away when new stories are added.

9. Caleb Berry, a proud yet concerned patriot on April 13th, 2018 11:45 am

If the student is over 18 years of age and doesn’t have any knives on their person while in school the knives don’t mean anything to the school. Also the fact that the school has the right to search a students car based off of a “rumor” is wrong. Also it is a right given by law for any legal gun owner over the age of 18 to safely carry any rifle in their vehicle. I will question the fact that this could’ve been a handgun, and the student might not have been of legal age to carry it, but knives? Really? Knives have far more purposes then as weapons, and while they can very well be used as weapons, Using the possession of a knife as a reason to explain the situation is ridiculous.

clarification Reply:

1. It is illegal for anyone to bring a firearm on to a public school’s property in Illinois

“430 ILCS 66/65 Prohibited Areas.
    (a) A licensee under this Act shall not knowingly carry a firearm on or into:
    (1) Any building, real property, and parking area under the control of a public or private elementary or
    secondary school.”

2. In the student handbook under “Examples of Misconduct” example 13 it says
    “Possession or use of a weapon or other object which may reasonably be considered to be a weapon on or about the student’s person or upon any District 204 premises or at anyschool-sponsored activity (including student parking for school attendance) Tier 4”

The tier 4 is a reference to the punishment system
    “Level 4
    • OSS
    • Recommendation for Expulsion”
    If you have a problem with the handbook remember you agreed to it during registration, you should have handled your grievance then.

10. POTUS on April 13th, 2018 12:03 pm

Sad!

11. Lockdowns? on April 13th, 2018 4:42 pm

If the student did start shooting, wouldn’t they already know where all the students are? I mean, it’s a student. They practiced the same routine that we did…

darkstripe Reply:

honestly if a shooting ever happens at this school i see it as guaranteed i’ll die. there’s no chance i’d make it out alive

12. Balkin Tuffle on April 13th, 2018 8:43 pm

“I think the school responded a little inappropriately because immediate action for the safety of the students should have been taken, such as informing us and initiating a lockdown until there was an investigation and making sure no one was in harm’s way,” – Naomi Douglas

The school responded as it should have, because if you lock down the school because of every rumor, people would call in fake threats to get out of a test. And the school upon contacting the authorities usually keep everything confidential, because if the student had actually had a real firearm, and was alerted to the faculties intention in any way; could’ve caused more harm during a lockdown.

-Security cannot be obtained without secrecy.

13. Wut on April 14th, 2018 8:56 pm

Ugh this is a mess.

14. darkstripe on April 15th, 2018 4:07 pm

am i the only one here wondering why there’s a teddy bear in the article image?

Mama Reply:

There’s a soccer ball too. I think they’re just things that may belong in a school next to something that shouldn’t (gun).

darkstripe Reply:

who tryna bring teddy bears to school tho

clarification Reply:

Sophmores on “first day of first grade” theme day.

Mama Reply:

You never tried to smuggle in a toy from home in kindergarten or preschool? I know I did.

ya boi Reply:

only if I could like this comment

15. Mama on April 16th, 2018 7:25 am

Anyone else here skip because of the threat?

16. Someone on April 18th, 2018 12:00 am

There was also another incident 2 years ago when a student brought an unloaded handgun to school, and there was also an incident earlier this year where there was a threat that a group of students would shoot up the Waubonsie-Metea football game. So this is not new to the school and school district. I think they should have done a lockdown because all they suspected was a weapon. They didn´t even know what it was; it could have been an machine gun and they still wouldn´t have known, so I think the school should have treated it as if safety was actually at stake.

• Student found with starter pistol and knives in car

News

Vote for Senior Superlatives

News

Submit your Senior Shoutouts

News

Heartland Blood Center hosts drive for Metea students

News

An inside look at the Metea L.I.F.E. event

The Mane

04.13.18 Mane

News

Spirit week pep assembly canceled

News

Dog rescue event to be held at Metea

News

Students start club that helps make a difference

News

OLAS dance exposes students to latin music and culture

News

Metea students participate in a national student walkout