Filed under News

Spirit week pep assembly canceled

Building administrators decided last week that the pep assembly scheduled for today had been canceled, despite spirit week still continuing on. Many students were confused because they didn’t know why it had been canceled.

The assembly was canceled because of a lack of involvement from some clubs in the school. However, that was not the only reason it was called off. “We are restructuring activities in this building right now and we want to make sure that everyone has a role,” Assistant Principal Kim Maloney said. Changes are being made to the way we hold pep assemblies, including only two pep assemblies next year and social-emotional learning activities. The focus of the coming years will be shifted from fewer pep assemblies onto other school-sanctioned events, such as the talent show.

Some students feel that the lack of a pep assembly is disheartening because of the lack of school spirit displayed. Some believed that because there was no pep assembly, there was no real motivation to participate in the spirit week themes.

“Since the pep assembly was canceled, I think it defeats the purpose of having spirit week. The whole point of spirit week is to dress up in the days leading up to the pep assembly,” junior Daniel Ceniceros said.

Several students were upset at the disorganization of the whole event.“I think this shows a lack of organization by the school due to the fact that they weren’t able to have enough people participate in [the pep assembly],” Ceniceros said.

8 Responses to “Spirit week pep assembly canceled”

1. Reality Doctor on April 13th, 2018 7:26 am

I really wish it happened.

2. Anonymous on April 13th, 2018 7:45 am

I think that the real reason that the administration stopped the pep assembly because of the danger of school shootings. Because of the weapons found in that car, the threat of school shootings increased and so to not be a safety hazard they canceled the pep assembly.

Balkin Tuffle Reply:

If the school really had concerns about the safety of the students attending, they would’ve cancelled school that day or gone through the necessary precautions in order to prevent something like that from happening.

Wut Reply:

Are you implying that the school doesn’t have concerns about us getting shot up? That’s honestly pretty insulting to the people at this school that truly care about us. They chose jobs in this school because they have some degree of passion for young people. A lot more goes into ensuring the safety of a schoolful of students than what your comment indicates you know.

3. Reality Doctor on April 13th, 2018 8:15 am

I really loved these…

4. The Diddler on April 15th, 2018 3:24 pm

I am happy they cancelled it. The spirit assemblies are a waste of time. The 3 kids who actually do anything for spirit week may be disappointed, but otherwise the majority would have been making plans on how to escape the building anyways. There should only be one spirit week anyways, what is the point in having multiple spirit weeks? The lack of school spirit is due to the fact that it is being expected from a bunch of high school students. Go to any High school and you will find the same lack of school spirit.

5. darkstripe on April 15th, 2018 4:10 pm

ngl i’m glad there was no pep assembly? the pep assemblies always give me migraines due to the volume and lack of space, as well as having the tendency to overstimulate me. so personally i’m fine without pep assemblies
    but “social-emotional learning activities” does not sound like a Good Thing

6. Braheny on April 16th, 2018 9:50 am

No more early dismissal day 🙁

• Spirit week pep assembly canceled

News

Vote for Senior Superlatives

• Spirit week pep assembly canceled

News

Submit your Senior Shoutouts

• Spirit week pep assembly canceled

News

Heartland Blood Center hosts drive for Metea students

• Spirit week pep assembly canceled

News

An inside look at the Metea L.I.F.E. event

• Spirit week pep assembly canceled

The Mane

04.13.18 Mane

• Spirit week pep assembly canceled

News

Student found with starter pistol and knives in car

• Spirit week pep assembly canceled

News

Dog rescue event to be held at Metea

• Spirit week pep assembly canceled

News

Students start club that helps make a difference

• Spirit week pep assembly canceled

News

OLAS dance exposes students to latin music and culture

• Spirit week pep assembly canceled

News

Metea students participate in a national student walkout

Spirit week pep assembly canceled