Filed under News

BREAKING NEWS: Student found with a knife at school

Principal Dr. Echols issued a phone call home on Friday, April 27, regarding an incident that happened the previous day, on Thursday, April 26. Students notified building administrators that a student brought a knife to school.

“We received information that one of our students made a poor decision, and brought a knife to school,” Echols said in the call.

According to the phone call, no students or staff were ever in immediate danger, and the Aurora Police Department worked quickly to investigate the situation. “Please know, at no time were any of our students or staff threatened, or in any danger,” Echols said.

Echols declined to be interviewed for this story citing an ongoing investigation that is taking place. 

In his phone call, Echols commended the efforts of the students who reported the incident and emphasized the importance of making good decisions.

“We appreciate that our students acted responsibly and immediately notified us so that we could take action. District 204 takes this situation very seriously and disciplinary action is occurring,” Echols said in the call. 

31 Responses to “BREAKING NEWS: Student found with a knife at school”

1. Killian Kenny on April 30th, 2018 1:56 pm

Who would bring a knife into the school? It’s such a useless thing to do. And why now, when we’re so close to the end?

hello Reply:

Maybe that person felt threatened and they wanted something to defend themselves with. But you are still right we are so close to the end of the year that its unlikely that having a knife would result in any gain.

друг Reply:

agreed, its mental health week. this person could e bullied and felt vulnerable in a sometimes hostile place

goofy Reply:

I know the student and that student dont get bullied nor did he feel threatened his naive actions were’nt a big deal. Yall are makin this a huge deal like he didnt even threaten no one. He was being dumb tryna act cool which is’nt right but it should’nt be a big deal.

2. Anonymous on May 1st, 2018 7:34 am

This is an awful thing to happen and I feel that not enough punishment was given to the kid in question. Dr. Echols from what I am reading seems to only be giving him a slap on the wrist. “poor decision”? no. He knew what he was doing and asking parents to inform their kids of how to act is not the best method to prevent a tragedy. this is the second time something like this has happened in the school. We need better preventive measures.

no Reply:

Its a knife not a nuke chill

Just Someone Reply:

Second time? You can add a few more numbers to that one…

3. darkstripe on May 1st, 2018 8:19 am

“poor decision” might be a little bit of an understatement

Mister Mikey Reply:

I agree. This should be categorized as a “VERY poor decision.”

Mama Reply:

Tell us about it.

4. Nikki C on May 1st, 2018 8:35 am

So we are going to wait until a student or staff member is threatened with a gun or knife to do something more?

5. no on May 1st, 2018 11:31 am

Y’all overreacting is just a knife what is he gonna do stab every single person in the school? no, nothing would have happened regardless if he was caught or not. Stop trying to make it sound like a bigger deal that it really is

Peeved Pleb Reply:

hmm…
    Your comment makes about as much sense as someone saying
    “It’s just one gun, he can’t shoot everyone in the school, (s)he’ll run out of ammo”!

Peeved Pleb Reply:

*[s]he’ll for the first pronoun as well 🙂

no Reply:

not really, guns are much more deadly than knives. A knife takes time and skill to use but with a gun you could just point it at a crowd.

6. um on May 2nd, 2018 8:39 am

I wish our school would alert us (students) of these things more. Every time something like this happens, out parents always get a phone call. Why should I find out about something like this from my parents.?They don’t attend this school, I do. The students have a right to know, we’re the people who go to school. Rather than hiding it from us, we should be alerted of the situation.

Mama Reply:

I’ve thought about this for a while now, and I completely agree. Thank you.

Anonymous Reply:

Good point, very good point. Communication to those actually at school is essential, especially in times that students could literally be in danger, such as this. Parents may not contact their kids right away about the incident either, and finding out about something like this late, even if nothing came of it, still isn’t a great experience, for sure.

Mama Reply:

I actually wasn’t told about this at all. I know for a fact my parents get phone calls from the school because I’ve heard them answer the ringing to be greeted by an automated message.

Just Someone Reply:

I agree completely.

7. anonymous on May 2nd, 2018 8:44 am

I feel like there should be stricter punishments with this. Only a few weeks ago a kid was found with a gun at our school, and now someone brought a knife. If we had more regulations and consequences, then maybe people wouldn’t bring a weapon to school “just because.” And letting these things keep happening just because there was no direct threat, is unbelievable. Someone brought a weapon to school, which should be counted as a threat by itself. I wish our school would handle this matter more effectively, since as students, we go to school 5 days a week for most of the day, we should be able to feel safe in this environment. But with events such as this, we are left with little information, and anxious about our own safety.

8. Duck on May 2nd, 2018 11:13 am

I’m missing out.

Bleppy Reply:

You’re really not, my friend. Nothing happened with this. I didn’t even know it happened until I saw it here. Trust me, enjoy your time outside this freak show.

9. Student on May 3rd, 2018 7:57 am

We live in a world where people are afraid of their own shadow…It is a knife. A knife is a tool… Give it a few years and people will be freaking out about a kid bringing a screwdriver to school.

Mama Reply:

A screwdriver is completely different. It has one use. Screws. It’s not sharp and is very, VERY practical. What uses do a knife have? Cutting rope, cutting wires, cutting people. Yes, a knife is a tool. It also has multiple and dangerous uses. School violence has been more common lately, and something often used as a weapon more than as a tool is rightfully feared.

??? Reply:

Sure a knife can be a useful tool in some situations, but can you please explain to me in what context a knife is warranted while at school? I’m just wondering in what situation you’d ever find yourself where you can go, “boy am I glad I brought my handy knife to school today”. Like ??? there’s no useful purpose even if there’s no malicious intent, which I wouldn’t be so quick to assume is out of the equation.

Mama Reply:

YES!

10. Anon on May 6th, 2018 9:58 pm

I hope this person is okay. I mean, maybe there was a reason why they brought it?

11. OMG on May 7th, 2018 9:29 am

I think the school should talk to us about this, the school is always trying to hide this stuff from us. I do not want to find out this kind of stuff from my dad who does not even attend the school, I am the one who goes to school, I want you guys to inform us, instead of always trying to hide this kind of stuff from us, just say it. The announcements in the morning are for this, I know you guys do not want to worry us or anything but obviously this is a huge thing and we should be informed. Thank you

12. Cian28 on May 14th, 2018 7:39 am

Maybe 18 Y/O seniors should be able to arm ourselves?

‘just saying: we MAY see lower weapon threats in our school.

<3

or we may not…

(but we might)

(or not)

(but probably)

darkstripe Reply:

this comment confuses me, honestly

• BREAKING NEWS: Student found with a knife at school

News

Unified basketball team receives mayoral recognition

News

‘Our Town’ introduces new take on theater

News

LMC holds author visit with actor Keegan Allen

The Mane

The rise of kids dropping Encore classes

News

WE Day motivates students to make a difference

News

Senior checkout in LMC to return Chromebooks

News

Vote for your most influential teacher

News

Submit your questions for Keegan Allen

News

Submit your “Senior Secret”

News

Submit your ballot for Senior Superlatives