Filed under Entertainment

Kane County Cougars showcase excellence in sports and entertainment

As Summer Break approaches, it is customary for students to begin making plans with friends and family to fill the next three months. For many, one of the most exciting and beloved summer traditions is to attend a baseball game. Most students know that there are two major league teams only a train ride away, although there is also an option for those who may want to save money or are concerned about travel.

Located in nearby Geneva, the Kane County Cougars play at Northwestern Medicine Field as one of the single-A affiliations of the MLB’s Arizona Diamondbacks. Although the average baseball fan will not likely recognize most of the names on the current roster, some of the team’s notable alumni are two-time former A.L. MVP and current Detroit Tigers first baseman Miguel Cabrera, as well as Chicago Cubs favorites, catcher Willson Contreras and outfielder Kyle Schwarber.

Currently, the team features several up-and-coming stars. Shortstop Jasrado Chisholm and outfielder Gabriel Maciel are ranked #3 and #10 respectively in the Arizona Diamondbacks’ farm system according to MLB.com’s 2018 Pipeline Prospect Watch.

In addition to the baseball itself, the Kane County Cougars are unique in that their games include several unique events and fun activities to keep people entertained. Some of the promotions they include are Thirsty Thursdays and Kids Eat Free Sundays. The team also hosts pregame concerts on select Saturdays and the inclusion of fireworks on certain dates.

The team will also feature a collaborative concert under the title “Rockin’ For the Troops” on July 14. It will feature the combined efforts of The Voices, 7th Heaven, Ayla Brown, Rocky Lynne, and Ryan Weave in honor of our US military.

If you’re worried about costs and expensive seating, the Kane County Cougars have you covered. The stadium includes lawn seats closer to the field that only start at nine dollars.

The Kane County Cougars not only represent the sportsmanship required for any sports team but also showcase the entertainment value that even non-sports fans can enjoy. If you’re interested in finding out game dates, check out their website and the calendars below.

Ben Weiss, Perspectives Editor

Ben Weiss is a senior perspectives editor and writer. It will be his second and last year on The Stampede. Other activities he’s involved in include the Speech Team, Theatre, The Mane and Varsity Singers. He hopes to major in Theatre and Journalism and have a steady career when he graduates. Since his bio from last year was extremely long and depressing, we’re not even gonna attempt to describe him as a person. All I’m gonna say is that everything you think you know about him is a lie. ‘Nuff said.

Connor Smith, Spotlight Editor

Connor Smith is a senior and the Stampede’s spotlight editor. He is thrilled to return for his second year on staff, as he previously served as sports editor during the 2016-17 school year. Aside from the Stampede, Connor also is a member of Metea’s Chamber Choir and Madrigals group, in addition to being a FreshConnect mentor. He loves music, travel, sports and is interested in pursuing journalism as a post-secondary goal.

Delaney Reed, Photographer

Delaney Reed is a senior at Metea. This is her first year as a photographer for News Journalism and she is also a member of the MV Speech team. She hopes to one day photograph live performances of her favorite bands.

3 Responses to “Kane County Cougars showcase excellence in sports and entertainment”

1. Reality Doctor on May 16th, 2018 7:27 am

These games bring back memories

2. Truth Nurse on May 16th, 2018 1:59 pm

Me too.

3. darkstripe on May 17th, 2018 8:20 am

i’m still not used to the new logo and mascot tbh

• Kane County Cougars showcase excellence in sports and entertainment

Your choices do not matter in Deltarune

‘Bohemian Rhapsody’ is a somewhat weak but ultimately moving tribute to a culture-defining star

Local Halloween pastimes provide students with entertainment

‘Halloween’ is a flawed but enjoyable return to the legacy of Michael Myers

Stampede Staff Playlist: October Edition

Ben's Guide to Musical Theater

Ben’s Guide to Musical Theater: Bare A Pop Opera

‘The Hate U Give’ opens eyes to POC struggles and leaves a meaningful impact

Impressive performances can’t save ‘The Sisters Brothers’ from tonally confused mediocrity

‘Bad Times at the El Royale’ is a suspenseful mystery with a killer ensemble cast

Super Mario Party brings the franchise back to the golden age