Filed under Sports

Boys’ volleyball makes program history with regional title win

For the first time in program history, the boys’ volleyball team took the IHSA Regional title against rival Naperville Central in the Main Gym last night. In an epic three-set win, the boys’ teamwork and drive were what gave them the win.

With much talent to build off of and a previous win against the Naperville Central Redhawks earlier in the season, the boys knew what they were in for as they started the game. Fighting hard for each win is something that the team has been doing this whole season, and the boys were able to continue to do that through last night’s game.

“It’s awesome [to be a part of this team] because it’s never been done. We just kept fighting for that last set because we wanted [the title] so bad for this program, for this school, and for us,” senior Eddie Forsythe said.

While the Regional game proceeded through the evening, each set’s intensity increased over time. As the boys started out the game, they were able to take the first set against Naperville Central, winning 25-15. The team played both outstanding offense and defense but took a very close loss in the second set against the Redhawks, losing 24-26.

With the third set being either team’s chance to take home a Regional title, the Mustangs fought effortlessly to take home their first title and advance to the Sectionals seed. Without a doubt, the boys were willing to use all their strength and talent to sweep the game. In result, the third set was the most thrilling and remarkable set of them all. Both teams continued to trade off points, keeping the score very tight and leaving the crowded gym on their toes. At the end of the night, the Mustangs toppled the Redhawks in the last set, winning 34-32.

“I mean that final game wasn’t going to come easy, and we were trading points at the end. I just had faith in my seniors. We’ve been here before, they know how to close a game out, and they did,”coach John Aister commented.

The team already has enough to be proud of this season with multiple DVC wins and a variety of new and old talent that has brought them the success that they have been showing. In a result, the boys aren’t done improving just yet and are already looking ahead to their next big game in the postseason. “It was exciting to see [the game] at Metea, to have Metea fans be a part of it, [and] to have our first Regional title at Metea. I think the crowd was electric. I’m so proud of our school, our fans, and the guys that play on the team,” Aister added.

Come out and support the boys as they take on rival Neuqua Valley in the IHSA Sectional semifinal game on Friday at the Illinois Mathematics and Science Academy at 5:30 pm!

About the Photographer
Kellie Foy, Sports Editor
Kellie Foy is a junior and the Sports Editor on The Stampede. This is her second year on staff and participates in BG Stampede. Outside of the sports world, you’ll find Kellie working church retreats, sassing everyone, and constantly listening to Skillet and Jon Bellion.