Filed under Spotlight

District 204 refuses to comply with new law concerning feminine products

District 204 has decided not to comply with a new Illinois law requiring all high schools to provide tampons and sanitary napkins in school bathrooms. The Illinois legislature passed Public Act 100-0163 in September, but the district is wilfully not following the new law and has no plans to do so.

The law, called the Learn with Dignity Act, states, “The school district shall make feminine hygiene products available, at no cost to students, in the bathrooms of school buildings.” At Metea Valley, students are provided with free tampons and pads, but they are only available in the nurse’s office and the P.E. office, not in bathrooms as the law states.

According to Metea Valley athletic director Daniel DeBruycker, “They [District 204] got the information back in September that, starting January 1, it has to be accessible,” DeBruycker said. DeBruycker is in charge of buildings and grounds at Metea. “We are more than willing to continue to have those conversations but directly off of what was sent to them [the district] in September, and based off of those conversations I don’t have any more information.” said DeBruycker

The district made the decision to place the hygiene products solely in the nurse’s office. “The process that our district is going to follow is that anyone that needs them we have them for free in the nurse’s office. We have also discussed having them in the class houses as well, but from my understanding I don’t think we have moved forward with that, but it is something that we have had conversations about,” DeBruycker said.

Metea administrators responsible for implementing this law throughout the school plan to continue keeping the feminine hygiene products in nurse’s offices and P.E. locker rooms. “That is how we choose to operate right now, but the district is always open to suggestions. So they talked about signage in the bathrooms to communicate availability, where it is at, all the time, that it is free or adding multiple more locations like the class houses, the main office, some type of storage in there, where it is accessible, but their plans are not to put dispensers in the bathrooms right now,” DeBruycker said.

The law states, “When students have access to quality feminine hygiene products, they are able to continue with their daily lives with minimal interruption.” Students are required to acquire a pass to the nurse’s office, and walk there in order to get a tampon or pad, causing more than a disruption.

“I do think it is an inconvenience to go to the nurse’s office because you have to get up in front of the whole class and tell your teacher you are on your period, which is really embarrassing for a ton of people. Not to mention for somebody who has to go from upstairs to downstairs or vice versa, going to the nurse could make me late to the class,” junior Lauren Coates said.

In recent years, Neuqua Valley High School offered tampons and pads within bathrooms. However, problems arose that resulted in administrators reversing course. “There was a lot of misuse and damage and different things happening throughout the building so they chose to remove those and have them available in the nurse’s office at all three schools,” said DeBruycker. Neuqua Valley assistant principal Lance Fuhrer did not respond to our request for an interview.

Local high schools like Downers Grove South, Warren High School, and Carl Sandburg High School have already been supplying students with available tampons and pads in all girl’s bathrooms for years.

Assistant superintendent for secondary education Dr. Lewis Lee was contacted multiple times and referred questions to DeBruycker and Metea Valley principal Dr. Darrell Echols. Dr. Echols declined a request for an interview for this story.

Abbey Malbon, Spotlight Reporter
Abbey Malbon is in 11th grade and is a spotlight writer. She is involved with Literary Magazine, Best Buddies and Fresh Connect. She spends her free time watching That 70’s show reruns and writing emo poems.
Kennedy Homan, Graphic Designer
I am currently a junior entering my first year of journalism as a graphic designer. Outside of school I attend Gamers Club and Improv on the weekly basis, and when I am not attending a club, I develop my drawing skills while selling commissions through online communities. I also love ducks.

4 Responses to “District 204 refuses to comply with new law concerning feminine products”

1. Voice of the Aristocracy on May 25th, 2018 11:18 am

Ok, first of all, there is a difference between an act and law. An act is enacted by the people of Illinois and not specifically enforced. it’s like a recommended/Rewarded suggestion. also, Illinois law only requires access to the items, not convenience. And also this problem could be averted if girls just would carry these items on their person just in case.

Mama Reply:

Wooooww!! No sympathy, huh? You ever forget something at home that you knew you needed a few minutes prior to packing up? You ever realize you needed something but you were so distracted by everything else going on in high school life you left it behind? We’re humans just like you are. As much as you might hate to admit it, you slip up sometimes too. We shouldn’t be punished for being busy girls.

2. Chocolate Chip Cookie on May 25th, 2018 11:24 am

What about the women (non-students) who come here for events after school or on the weekend? Most of them won’t know where the nurse’s office is. It seems like common sense to have these amenities in any public bathroom. Whatever. At least the ones in the gym and nurse’s offices are free and I know where they are.

3. lembergini on May 25th, 2018 4:24 pm

If anyone wants to lead a march or a protest to this, my email is [email protected], and I would love to participate.

• District 204 refuses to comply with new law concerning feminine products

Galleries

Gallery: Mustang Improv Show

Spotlight

Chicks provide hands-on learning for genetics classes

Girl Talk with Abbey Malbon

Girl Talk: House of Representatives passes controversial sex trafficking laws

Galleries

Gallery: Downtown Aurora First Fridays

Girl Talk with Abbey Malbon

Girl Talk: Mississippi passes the most restrictive abortion act in the nation

Galleries

Gallery: National Student Walkout

Girl Talk with Abbey Malbon

Girl Talk: Defining the modern feminist

Spotlight

Orchesis hosts the annual Under the Lights Showcase

Spotlight

Super Bowl halftime show continues to create controversy

Spotlight

MV After Hours