Filed under Spotlight

Senior tips for incoming freshman

Our new staff members Hunter Kulak and Leland Pan interview senior Xavier Cabanas

Ben Weiss

Ben Weiss

For incoming freshman, who wrapped up their education in junior high, leaving for high school can be difficult. The new challenges include more difficult classes, extracurricular activities, and finals. To kick off a new year, several seniors offer advice for approaching freshman.

The transition from middle school to high school is difficult by itself, but the first problem students face is “just how big the school physically is.” While some other students know what comes next for them, and have prepared for it.

“I had older cousins who came here, so I was pretty knowledgeable of what was to come; Except for the size of the school“, senior Xavier Cabanas said.

In regards to AP and Honors, apart from being “better” than their normal alternative classes, they are usually looked for by colleges and certain job groups. However taking Honors or AP for the first time can be challenging, especially if you have never taken those types of classes before.

“You take an AP class and you learn good good study habits that you can use in your normal classes.”, senior Arianna Fritz said.

Along with rigorous classes and the homework load, there is also a time where students can choose classes to find relaxing and passionate courses for the school year. “Even if it wasn’t something that I was going to do in the future, it was my chance to be spontaneous and have fun”, senior Grace Butcha said. Every student can have the option in taking classes that can be helpful for future reference, or leisure time to enhance the high school experience.

“Take more classes that are more focused towards your career. Anything that you think would help you with the kind of career you want to do”, senior Kayla Keyes said.

One of the most stressful times for all students are the finals, and these tests can prove intense for freshman who haven’t experienced it in Middle School. Students being tested on the knowledge of everything they have learned for the semester, studying is a requirement for passing these stressful tests. Seniors encourage that freshman use their time wisely during these periods and get their studying done. Ignoring the impact of finals will impact your overall grades.

“Everyone has finals so you use the time you have to study for finals for your finals. You have study halls. Use that wisely. Even when you go home use an hour of study time. Even in the class you have they will give you time to study or at least go through your study guides”, senior Kylie Halmon said.

The focus on academics and extracurriculars are all truly important for any student, but the valuable lessons that students take from high school can keep many students grounded and consistent for the future. Many situations often lead to key values that can shape an individual to who they are by the time those students walk out of Metea Valley High School. And some experiences cannot be gained outside of school.

“Find a good group of friends. They come and go, but there are people who really stuck by me”, senior Grace Buchta said.

One of the new changes to the schools design includes our staircases, which have been painted to include our school colors and mantra.

Ben Weiss, Perspectives Editor

Ben Weiss is a senior perspectives editor and writer. It will be his second and last year on The Stampede. Other activities he’s involved in include the Speech Team, Theatre, The Mane and Varsity Singers. He hopes to major in Theatre and Journalism and have a steady career when he graduates. Since his bio from last year was extremely long and depressing, we’re not even gonna attempt to describe him as a person. All I’m gonna say is that everything you think you know about him is a lie. ‘Nuff said.

Leland Pan, Sports Reporter

Leland is a sophomore, and this is her first year on staff as one of the Sports Reporters for Metea. Some activities that she participates in are DMMV and playing on Metea girls golf team in the fall. Leland also loves banana bread, yoga, and travelling. When she is not at sporting events and in the newsroom, you can find her wondering why she cannot do mental math on a golf course.

5 Responses to “Senior tips for incoming freshman”

1. Killian Kenny on August 23rd, 2018 7:43 am

Hello, Senior Killian Kenny here with my own tip for incoming freshman.

My tip to them (or you if you’re one of them) is to know your place in the school’s social hierarchy; freshman are on the lowest rung on the social ladder from the get go, but this can either change by simply moving onto each other year of school, making yourself known, or by being related to someone who’s already done this. I made myself known on my first year by being my normal quirky self and by helping the special needs students. I knew where I sat on the social ladder and respected those who sat above me. Reputation matters at this school, and right now, you have no reputation. What happens here can dictate what happens in the future, don’t take freshman year lightly. Well, I said my piece. Best of luck to you.

2. Conga on August 23rd, 2018 9:47 am

as long as you’re chill nobody will care

there really isn’t as much of a social hierarchy as you think

3. killian kenny on August 23rd, 2018 2:01 pm

It had been in my experience

4. b on August 23rd, 2018 12:48 pm

Believing in a social hierarchy is the ultimate blue pill.

5. darkstripe on August 24th, 2018 9:48 am

there is no social hierarchy. there is only those who comment on metea media and those who do not

• Senior tips for incoming freshman

Spotlight

Growing up with a twin who has Asperger’s syndrome

• Senior tips for incoming freshman

Spotlight

Metea Improv Team kicks off its fourth year with auditions

• Senior tips for incoming freshman

Spotlight

Students create a “meaningful summer” for Aurora youth through a non-profit organization

• Senior tips for incoming freshman

Spotlight

First days at Metea through the eyes of a transfer student

• Senior tips for incoming freshman

Spotlight

District 204 refuses to comply with new law concerning feminine products

• Senior tips for incoming freshman

Galleries

Gallery: Mustang Improv Show

• Senior tips for incoming freshman

Spotlight

Chicks provide hands-on learning for genetics classes

• Senior tips for incoming freshman

Girl Talk with Abbey Malbon

Girl Talk: House of Representatives passes controversial sex trafficking laws

• Senior tips for incoming freshman

Galleries

Gallery: Downtown Aurora First Fridays

• Senior tips for incoming freshman

Girl Talk with Abbey Malbon

Girl Talk: Mississippi passes the most restrictive abortion act in the nation

Senior tips for incoming freshman