Filed under Opinions

Spilled milk in some eyes is the same as spilled blood in others

We all have grown up in different environments. Different cultures and parenting styles. These sort of environments that you have grown up in shape your opinions and the way you see life as a whole.

Some people see an enormous fantasy book and think about how boring and dreadful it would be if it was assigned to them. Others think that it holds a great story and don’t mind the length. This changes based on how you were taught and what you learned was good and bad. What if I told you that literal spilled milk in the eyes of a privileged American citizen is the same as spilled blood in the eyes of a child living in deep poverty in a third world country.

Our brains are created to adapt to our surroundings and act accordingly. What is “bad” purely depends on what you’ve seen. Someone who has only been exposed to poverty and war is satisfied when peace and/or financial stability occurs and views that as a dream. Someone who would go to MVHS on the other hand, may have a mental breakdown if they lose 3-5 friends that they will most likely regain or replace in the next couple weeks. What this causes is a section of trauma that the brain creates to adhere to our needs. This often means that if someone who has experienced immense trauma who has gone a life experiencing minor incidents will be affected much more than when someone who has already gone through multiple different incidents close to this amount of intense severity. Whenever someone goes through something small like losing a phone or friend you must take into account that this could be the “worst situation” in their brain due to low exposure. There is a common phrase when someone goes through something small “think about the children in third world countries”. This does work with some people as their trauma is technically less, but their brain receives it the same as someone who has received constant trauma.

Ignoring these factors can in fact result to suicide. People in third world countries optimize survival as one of their main factors not happiness like most other species. Suicide can occur but isn’t as often as it is in the upper class. A theory could be that these people are actually being helped and their trauma is being acknowledged. When it comes to the more privileged in richer areas, they have higher suicide rates. This is because we ignore their traumas. The traumas that in their mind are life-ending as they utilize happiness over survival. Typically their mindset won’t change so we must tend to their needs just as we would tend to someone who has dealt with loss. It is heartless to shrug off problems that seem unimportant to us, we don’t know how privileged the other person is. Always know that no matter what the luggage a problem is, it is important that we care for others and help them in any way they need.

Brandt Ward, Perspectives Reporter

Brandt Ward is a Junior. He is a perspectives writer who recently just joined newspaper. He looks forward to contributing his creative writing and analysis skills.

Noelle Pryor, Photographer

Noelle Pryor is a junior, this is her first year on the news journalism staff. She enjoys movies, books, music, and other sorts of media. If you’re looking for her, she’s more than likely whining about The Great Gatsby or ruining her intestines with hot chips like Takis. STARLORD DID NOTHING WRONG.

5 Responses to “Spilled milk in some eyes is the same as spilled blood in others”

1. Sans on September 7th, 2018 7:08 am

Don’t ever spill my milk just for a photoshoot. smh. You are gonna have a bad time, dude.

2. uwu on September 7th, 2018 11:00 am

owo that ain’t milk, its c re a m e

3. cow on September 7th, 2018 1:58 pm

dude what the flippin glob I MADE THE MILK

4. dingus on September 7th, 2018 8:53 am

very interesting

5. Sean on September 8th, 2018 7:23 am

I’d disagree. People who suffer constant trauma during their childhood (abuse) can become hypervigilant, depressed, and suicidal, which continues into adulthood. In some cases, that could cause them to shrug off minor incidents, but in others it could cause them to be more prone to anxiety and reactions.

This article was very hard to read comprehension-wise, but I still appreciate that you brought up a controversial topic. I was a little off-put by the usage of “privilege” as a reason to be more kind/patient to someone, but I do realize that you’re using it in a more neutral/observational way.

• Spilled milk in some eyes is the same as spilled blood in others

Opinions

Religion and finding my identity

Opinions

Gerrymandering threatens the sanctity of our elections and the future to come

Opinions

The deterioration of the once great Hong Kong is truly a saddening event

Opinions

Brett Kavanaugh poses a threat to the Supreme Court

Opinions

Hot Takes: The Use of E-Cigarettes in Schools

Opinions

North Korea continues to be untrustworthy as planned peace talks remain in jeopardy

Opinions

Trump’s withdrawal from Iran Deal will have dire consequences

Letter to the Editor

Letter to the Editor: Life with Social Anxiety

Opinions

Patronizing the Mentally Disabled Should Not Be Acceptable in Our Society

Opinions

Back in Iraq: How the Syria strikes are the start of the next War on Terror