Filed under News

No, you can’t pet them: Metea introduces canine search program

Principal Dr. Darrell Echols sent out an email to Metea families on Monday regarding implementation of a search program of campus and parking lots by trained dogs.

The program is in partnership with Interquest Detection Canines, a nationwide company providing drug and contraband sniffing dogs to industries and schools. Trained dogs of non-aggressive breeds such as Golden and Labrador retrievers are to search for illicit drugs and narcotics, gunpowder-based items, alcoholic beverages, and commonly abused over-the-counter and prescription drugs.

“School campus common areas, lockers, parking lots and grounds will be randomly inspected for prohibited items. If an item is found, we will initiate the appropriate disciplinary action, in accordance with our existing school policies and procedures. The program does not involve the search of individual students. At no time will this ever be allowed,” Echols said in the email.

The Interquest Detection Canine program website claims to be successful because it “eliminate[s] the need to ‘lock down’ a campus, thereby minimizing the interruption of the educational process” and “send[s] a message to students, parents and the community that a school has initiated a proactive position regarding the presence of prohibited items.”

The canines are expected to have regular appearances in the building. “We expect the school safety dog to become a regular part of the school day and part of the culture of our school,” Echols said in the email.

The protocol follows increasing concerns regarding the usage of e-cigarettes and other contraband on school grounds.

About the Photographer
Zainie Qureshi, Metea Media Editor-in-Chief

This is Zainie’s third year on staff and she is Metea Media’s current Editor-in-Chief. Frankly, she loves too many things and is unable to list them all. Find her in the music hall, the news room, and tripping over her shoelaces on the way to class. Not to mention various other locations around the school, including the whiteboard of the band room and the floor of the tech shop, where her instagram/twitter handle (@crazyzainiee) is painted on the floor. She’s also the only one who finds her jokes amusing, but she’s okay with that.

16 Responses to “No, you can’t pet them: Metea introduces canine search program”

1. doink on September 11th, 2018 8:26 am

I think htat this is truly asinine. Dogs are known to cause problems and violence wherever they go, as shown in the television show Cops. All i wish to say is if i am bit by the pitbul that the administration has sent to illegally search the student body, there will be a lawsuit in meteas future.

2. Jrmo on September 11th, 2018 11:55 am

Very cool!!

3. dink on September 12th, 2018 10:41 am

doink you’re a genius

4. j on September 11th, 2018 10:26 am

I hope he’s fluffy!

5. Steve on September 11th, 2018 12:54 pm

He’s gonna be so fluffy that you’re gonna die.

6. you favorite saint on September 11th, 2018 11:19 am

Well Metea sure sounds like it’s getting fun. Nice article Avani.

7. hi on September 11th, 2018 2:08 pm

Stop labeling dog breeds as aggressive. No dog breed is aggressive; it all depends on the owner and how they raised them, so please stop stereotyping and labeling certain breeds as aggressive or non-aggressive.

8. Hard Disagree on September 13th, 2018 7:15 am

I disagree with this. It has been shown time and time again that Pit Bulls are the most violent dog breed. According to DogBites.org, in 2016 Pit Bulls were responsible for 71% of fatal dog bites in the United States, greater than all other dog breeds combined. The simple fact is that Pit Bulls were bred to be violent and they are not safe to have around children.

9. Dog Lover 23 on September 13th, 2018 6:51 pm

Pit Bulls account for 99% of the species involved in dogfighting. If a Pit Bull is trained to fight for its life, then, of course, it will be violent. However, if it was properly socialized and trained growing up, then it makes just as good of a pet as any other dog breed. Pit Bulls are some of the sweetest, and kindest dog breeds. It all depends on how they were raised, and they are not born aggressive

10. Pit Bull Critical on September 14th, 2018 8:10 am

Pit bulls were bred to be the most aggressive dog breed. Even a “normal” pit bull will often just snap and maul a kid’s face off. I would never get a pit bull for my own home they are simply too agressive.

11. Matthew on September 14th, 2018 8:11 am

back in the day, Pit bulls were considered as Nanny Dogs, they took care of the children of homes. But unfortunately, pitbulls are now used as fighting dogs and bread as such, in the from of animal abuse for the profit, any dog can be bread into a fighting dog, from a chiwawa to a great dane. its all about the traning and the care you give to them, pitbulls are the nicest and most sweetest animal (in muy opinian) any dog can bite, not just the pitbulls

12. yayy on September 11th, 2018 9:27 pm

now I’m just waiting for them to install metal detectors at the doors…..

13. abigail on September 12th, 2018 9:17 am

Can he/she be our new mascot? Metea Golden Retrievers

14. Lad on September 12th, 2018 10:29 am

So did literally everyone involved with running this school forget some people are allergic to dogs or what

15. Tanay Vutukuru on September 13th, 2018 9:26 am

That is a good point. A lot of people are allergic to dogs and the hair that is shed. A golden retriever and such may not be a good idea as they are not hypo-allergic.

16. Alfred on October 22nd, 2018 1:17 pm

OP!!!1

• No, you can’t pet them: Metea introduces canine search program

News

Junior English Classes Present and Discuss Community Issues

News

Various music groups showcase talents at universities

News

UPDATE: Neuqua searched, found safe by police following bomb threat

News

Key Club backpack drive helps students in need

News

The Turning Pointe Autism Foundation organizes their third annual Pumpkin Race

News

AuthorFest Provides Enriching Opportunities for Students

News

District 204 skirts Illinois legislation regarding menstrual products

News

Kennedy Homan selected as Pacemaker finalist

News

Emmy winning journalist Enrique Rodriguez discusses the importance of journalism for Latino Heritage Month.

News

Abbey Malbon selected as a Pacemaker Finalist