Filed under Staff Playlist

Stampede Staff Playlist: September Edition

The school year has started. Along with the new year and opportunities, students strive to balance the stress of homework, grades, and social lives. Music is one of the best ways our staff unwinds and loosens up on the stressors of being a high school student. Every month, we will share some songs that our staff has been jamming to, and we hope you’ll love them too!

Brittany Evans (Profiles Reporter):

If You Let Me ft – Sinead Harnett
It is a relaxation song that makes me think about life when I don’t feel like doing anything else. It’s the right amount of bass and quietness to be satisfying, like musical ASMR.

Everybody – Anthony Hamilton
It is the perfect song to listen to when you’re upset. It’s impossible to listen to this song and be upset. it’s the type of song you listen to and you just want to dance.

Feel It Still- Portugal the Man
It is the song I need to wake up every morning. It’s the only way I’ll wake up. It’s actually my alarm. It makes me so happy waking up to it in the greatest mood. I feel like everyone needs this song in their life.

Esha Mandadi (Spotlight Reporter):

Nina Cried Power – Hozier
Nina Cried Power is the titular work off of resident forest king Hozier’s newest EP. Of the new songs, it’s one of my favorites, as it retains the power and depth of his past discography while also offering a fresher perspective on current social issues. The song itself is an amazing tribute to past musical legends, and definitely worth a listen.

Wait a Minute! – Willow
Although lesser known than her brother’s, Willow Smith’s music carries an identical level of unique self-expression. This song in particular chronicles her own coming-of-age and internal strife. Wait a Minute! Is definitely an anthem for all angst-ridden teenage girls, and its ability to be wailed loudly while flinging oneself onto one’s bed, and still sound good, is incomparable. The best part is when she starts speaking the language from Avatar. 

Riverside – Fleece
When I first started listening to this band I had no idea that two of its members were the ones responsible for creating the “How to write an Alt-J song” video, but ever since I found out it’s only made me like them more. Riverside is my favorite song off of Fleece’s 2017 album, Voyager. The song is mellow, full of synths, and overall a great listen.

James Turnbull (Headlines Reporter):

September by Earth, Wind, & Fire
It’s September.

Africa by Toto
It may be a meme, but it tells a heart-warming tale of wanting more out of life and having the will to do what it takes. Solid lyrics + great music = absolute bop.

Come Sail Away by Styx
The reminiscent and nostalgic song by the classic band is all about looking back. Seniors, it’s time to look back so that we can look forward, just like the song.

Lauren Coates (Headlines Reporter):

Genghis Khan – Miike Snow
Miike Snow is a criminally underrated artist with well-produced, high concept music videos that both entertain and push boundaries. Genghis Khan has a very groovy, 60s-esque sound, and it’s lyrics are clever while never getting too overcomplicated.

TV in The Morning – DNCE
Joe Jonas’ Band, DNCE is probably most well known for “Cake By the Ocean”, but other than that one hit, they haven’t gained much mainstream attention. I think TV in The Morning is a song that could show their softer, more intelligent and nuanced lyrics, while still keeping interest with catchy beats and instrumentals.

Janelle Monáe – Dirty Computer
The entire visual album Dirty Computer is an amazing feat, and undoubtedly Janelle Monae’s best work as an artist. The song Dirty Computer is the introduction to the dystopian world created in Monae’s concept album, and even if you haven’t been a fan of her past music, I think it’s a significant enough departure that anyone could love it.

2 Responses to “Stampede Staff Playlist: September Edition”

1. darkstripe on September 14th, 2018 8:07 am

petition to have africa by toto playing on fridays instead

2. I Agree with Above Sentiment on September 14th, 2018 10:24 am

What s/he said.

• Stampede Staff Playlist: September Edition

Your choices do not matter in Deltarune

News

Junior English Classes Present and Discuss Community Issues

The Mane

LIVE: Veteran’s Day Assembly

Opinions

Religion and finding my identity

‘Bohemian Rhapsody’ is a somewhat weak but ultimately moving tribute to a culture-defining star

News

Various music groups showcase talents at universities

The Mane

Video: Production of ‘Alice in Wonderland’ takes place this weekend

The Stampede

Issue 2: October 31, 2018

News

UPDATE: Neuqua searched, found safe by police following bomb threat

News

Key Club backpack drive helps students in need