Marco Rivero

Marco Rivero, Spotlight Editor

Marco Rivero is a senior at Metea Valley and is spotlight Editor for the Stampede. When he's not listening to music, Marco enjoys keeping up with politics and continuing his journey into becoming more and more pretentious. 

All content by Marco Rivero
Farewell Friday: Stampede Seniors

Farewell Friday: Stampede Seniors

Marco Rivero
May 22, 2020

How has journalism impacted your high school experience?   Noelle Smagala (Website and Social Media Editor): Newspaper has taught me self-assurance and confidence. I tend to look to others for...

After months of being quarantine, the question of what happens after the pandemic has never been more poignant.

The lessons to learn from Covid-19

Marco Rivero
May 21, 2020

It’s been 2 months since Governor JB Prtizker issued Executive Order 2020-11, establishing the state-wide stay at home order. Since the start of the pandemic, an economic crisis has destabilized the...

Many students are left wondering about their future as covid fears set in.

The existential crisis of choosing a college during a worldwide pandemic

Marco Rivero
May 1, 2020

During the start of second semester, if anyone had said that a global pandemic would soon not only destabilize the national economy, but force millions of Americans indoors for potentially half a year,...

The subtleties of music can get lost on certain audiences

Marco Rivero
April 28, 2020

Music has always been tied closely to human expression. For thousands of years, multiple works from multiple cultures have gone on to influence the lives of people. Just as music is shaped by human expression,...

The COVID-19 pandemic was always going to be a crisis. Our failed institutions have made it worse.

Coronavirus broke the country, and the Government is failing to fix it

Marco Rivero
April 14, 2020

When the news first started reporting on a new strain of coronavirus found in Wuhan, China, it seemed like the same old fearmongering that had been seen countless years before. As more and more news came...

Senator Bernie Sanders was the front-runner for the Democratic nominee for president. Almost overnight, his campaign collapsed.

Analysis: Why Sanders had to suspend his campaign

Marco Rivero
April 10, 2020

Inside a crowded venue in the middle of Navy Pier, over 12,000 people were gathered to celebrate the start of a campaign. Every few seconds, the crowd erupted in cheers as campaign surrogates and local...

Daylight saving time is meant to give Americans more light during daytime hours.

[Photo] Daylight saving time reignites controversy over observance

Amber Corkey and Isabella Villalobos
March 11, 2020

Election Update: Biden sweeps Super Tuesday as failing markets threaten Trumps reelection

Election Update: Biden sweeps Super Tuesday as failing markets threaten Trump’s reelection

Marco Rivero
March 6, 2020

The Biden Surge Following terrible performances in all three early primary states, former vice-president Joe Biden has managed to stage a political comeback. Just 72 hours before Super Tuesday every...

If the party plans to be a true alternative to Trump’s Republican Party, then it must nominate a true member of the left.

[Photo] Editorial: The Stampede endorses Senator Bernie Sanders for the Illinois Democratic Primary

Stampede Editorial Board
February 25, 2020

Democratic rivals face off as Trump continues to gain momentum.

Election Update: Sanders and Buttigieg tie, while Trump surges nationwide

Marco Rivero
February 11, 2020

Iowa Disaster The Iowa Caucus was an absolute disaster for the Iowa Democratic Party and remains a highly controversial caucus. Following trouble in several precincts across Iowa due to an app that...

The male mental health crisis requires attention and a complex solution

Marco Rivero, Spotlight Editor
January 16, 2020

Imagine being at the cusp of drowning. Imagine feeling the currents of water pulling you down as your body flails for a gasp of breath. Imagine being unable to scream for help. Now imagine walking down...

The Iowa Debate stood to define which candidate might take critical early primary states.

Democrats fail to build excitement in the Iowa Democratic Debate

Marco Rivero
January 15, 2020

OrganicLife staff prepares breakfast before school.

Humans of Metea: OrganicLife Cafeteria Staff

Marco Rivero
January 14, 2020

Every day, the staff in the commons cafeteria serve thousands of students duing lunches and passing periods. The Stampede reached out to a few of the many employees who are involved in the lunchroom. Kris...

The divide between centrist and progressive Democrats continues to divide the party.

Moving to the center has led to the failure of the Democratic Party.

Marco Rivero
January 9, 2020

The representative of California’s 12th District and Speaker of the House, Nancy Pelosi historically led the Democratic-majority House of Representatives and formally impeached President Donald Trump....

The Conservative victory in the United Kingdom has thrown the nation into uncertainty, and the opposition into a frenzy.

Conservatives win big as Labour falters in the British elections.

Marco Rivero
December 13, 2019

Tensions were high in Britain following the call for a snap election by Prime Minister Boris Johnson. Following years of failure on the passage of Brexit, Johnson opted to risk a new election in an effort...

The Greatest Albums of the Decade

The Greatest Albums of the Decade

Marco Rivero, Harrison Linden, and Alex Bedore
December 10, 2019
Throughout the 2010s many musical shifts have happened creating some of the most memorable albums of all time.
Lunch periods were noticeably thinner on Thursday. Approximately 2,000 students did not attend school, following threats against the school earlier in the week.

Students absent after threats made against Metea

Myra Bajwa, Marco Rivero, and Elena Buscher
December 6, 2019

Approximately 2,000 students were absent by midday Thursday due to two threats against the school, according to Principal Dr. Darrell Echols. The original shooting threat was written in school bathroom...

Dr.Karen Sullivan decided that all schools in IPSD 204 would move to online learning.

Breaking News: Students and teachers shocked following a racist incident during the Democratic debate watch party

Myra Bajwa, Alexandra Guckel, and Marco Rivero
November 22, 2019

Government students gathered in the Large Forum Room to watch the Democratic debate on Wednesday, when a racial slur, written backward, appeared on a Kahoot screen in front of the approximately 140 students....

Democrats clashed in their fifth debate before the Iowa Caucus

Tensions between Democrats rise in the fifth Democratic Debate

Marco Rivero
November 21, 2019

One night can make all the difference. For the ten Democratic candidates, it could be the saving night for their campaigns, or the final failure that ends their campaigns. For four of the ten candidates,...

Schisms in South America highlight the success and failure of radicalism

Marco Rivero
November 18, 2019

It wouldn’t be wrong to say that South America is the testing ground of the world. For its near 500 years of history under European rule, South America has been at the forefront of political, cultural,...

CTU Teachers strike as they clash with Mayor Lightfoot

The Chicago Teachers Union strike highlights an underlying message among educational equity

Marco Rivero and Leland Pan
November 15, 2019

On a seemingly normal October morning, a media onslaught would begin. Over the course of the month, endless headlines in blazing bold font would scream of money-hungry teachers and kids not getting the...

Brexit continues to delay as the UK sinks deeper into trouble

Marco Rivero
November 4, 2019

On Nov. 6, the British Parliament will officially dissolve ahead of an incoming election on Dec. 12. This is the latest news out of the three grueling years since the 2016 Brexit referendum. Since the...

Twelve Democratic contenders battled it out in Ohio on Wednesday to get voters attention before the Democratic primaries and caucuses.

Progressives shine in the fourth Democratic Debate

Marco Rivero
October 16, 2019

The fourth Democratic Debate, jointly hosted by CNN and the New York Times, was the most significant debate so far. The stakes were high for the 12 qualifying candidates as many hoped to either get a second...

Humans of Metea: Drushya Musham

Humans of Metea: Drushya Musham

Marco Rivero
September 27, 2019

Starting and growing a business is one of the hardest things one can do. Devoting a considerable share of that business to charity is even harder. Junior Drushya Musham is at the early stages of growing...

The government selectively banning vices is creating a moral debate

Marco Rivero
September 24, 2019

Over the past few weeks, the national conversation has shifted thanks to the Trump administrations’ perusal of banning flavored e-cigarettes. State legislators across the country have also taken steps...

Humans of Metea: Quaran Ahmad

Humans of Metea: Quaran Ahmad

Marco Rivero
September 12, 2019

All over Metea are people making their own music across every genre. Quaran Ahmad is one of those musicians. For years Quaran has been producing and writing his own music under the name VYNNI. You can...

With the yield curve inverting confidence is being lost in the American economy

Trump’s recession: How tax cuts saved and ruined the American economy

Marco Rivero
September 4, 2019

Ann Pettifor, a European based economist, published a prediction in 2006. In her published essay, she warned the people of the developed world that a massive economic crisis would happen within a few years...

Volunteers working together to weed around a bush

Volunteers beautify downtown Naperville

It’s a bright early summer day in downtown Naperville. Walking across the winding trails of the parks in relative silence makes the park seem completely isolated from the busy commotion of the downtown...

Meaningful Summers aims to help students better their community this summer

Marco Rivero
June 5, 2019

After nine long months of school, summer is finally beginning. Many students are already preparing to keep themselves busy with several different activities to help themselves and their community. At Metea,...

The College Board has announced a new environmental context score

The College Board’s new ‘Adversity Score’ is a concerning attempt to fix a broken system

Marco Rivero
May 30, 2019

The College Board recently announced a new addition to their score reporting system in order to provide context to the scores of students. This system has been labeled as the “adversity score” by the...

The final season of the brilliant show has finished.

The eighth season of ‘Game of Thrones’ is a rushed, convoluted ending to a stellar show

Marco Rivero
May 24, 2019

Spoiler Warning "Game of Thrones" season eight was its most controversial season yet. Many fans of the show have been left disappointed by the show’s final season. Even with its flaws overall the...

The theatre department prepares for a new year

Marco Rivero
May 15, 2019

Metea’s spring musical, Newsies, has wrapped up production, marking the end to the long production cycle of the Metea theatre department. Already, the theatre department has chosen its next two productions...

The team and Coach Romeo show off their robot at their booth.The team poses at their booth. From left: Rohit Tuteja, Sam Hus, Nathan Pruyne, Coach Romeo, Shri Bellala, Jim James, Archit Chabbi

Metea Valley Robotics Shines At World Championship

Marco Rivero
April 29, 2019

The Metea Valley Robotics Team, Mustang Voltage, exceeded expectations at the VEX Robotics World Championship, coming in 24th place out of the 97 different teams from across the world in their division....

Metea Art Department Tries New Grading System

Marco Rivero
April 25, 2019

Some classes in the art department have changed their grading system this year. For years, a movement to grade based off growth rather than standards has grown and spread across America. Metea now joins...

The Fox Valley Mall is the primary target of the Route 59 corridor redevelopment.

District 204 clashes with the City of Aurora over Route 59

Marco Rivero
April 3, 2019

The City of Aurora and the Indian Prairie School District have clashed over the proposed plan to revitalize the Route 59 corridor. While the city of Aurora has moved ahead with sections of this plan, the...

Cory Booker at a campaign event, Edward Kimmel; Ohio Diary 4 0216; Flickr; 3 Nov. 2016; Web; 11 March 2019.

Cory Booker

Marco Rivero
March 12, 2019

Cory Booker is definitely a cookie cutter Democrat, supporting higher taxes and spending to fix the economy. One of the only proposals for his presidency that Cory Booker has talked about is the creation...

Elizabeth Warren, Edward Kimmel; 20120421_1365 EW; Flickr; 21 Apr. 2012; 11 March 2019.

Elizabeth Warren

Marco Rivero
March 12, 2019

Warren is a progressive who represents her changing party much better than some of her opponents. She’s made a name for herself championing progressive ideas similar to Bernie Sanders while avoiding...

Joe Biden, Marc Nozell; Joe Biden; Flickr; 22 Sep. 2012; 11 March 2019.

Joe Biden

Marco Rivero
March 12, 2019

Joe Biden has been a favorite to win since 2016. Many people see him as the charismatic cool old man who’s best friends with Obama. Most polls have Biden about 4-6 percentage points above Bernie putting...

Kamala Harris Campaigning; from Mobilus In Mobili; Harris to Booker Save Our Care Rally U.S. Capitol; Flickr; 28 Jun. 2017; 11 March 2019.

Kamala Harris

Marco Rivero
March 12, 2019

Kamala Harris is without a doubt the establishment pick for this election. CNN has her as their number one on their lists despite her losing in almost every poll to both Bernie Sanders and Joe Biden. She...

Bernie Sanders campaigning, Benjamin Kerensa; Bernie Sanders Rally; Flickr; 9 Aug. 2015; 11 March 2019.

Bernie Sanders

Marco Rivero
March 12, 2019

Perhaps the most leftist candidate in the presidential race, Bernie hopes to recreate the entire economic world of this country. From the moment he announced his campaign for president it was clear Bernie...

A closer look at the top contenders of the 2020 Democratic Primary

Marco Rivero, Spotlight Reporter
March 12, 2019

From Harris to Warren, from Biden to Bernie, the democratic primaries are fully underway. With potentially 20 candidates hoping to challenge the incumbent president Donald Trump, the democratic primaries...

Parkland: One Year Later

Parkland: One Year Later

Brandt Ward and Marco Rivero
February 14, 2019
One monstrous event. An inspiring response. An uncertain future. On Feb. 14, 2018, tragedy took place at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School.
The college board fails to meet the mark

Marco Rivero, Spotlight Reporter
December 13, 2018

very single student in the country who is contemplating taking the SAT or an AP class is all too familiar with College Board. College Board is a non-profit organization which administers the SAT and decided...

Key Club backpack drive helps students in need

Marco Rivero, Spotlight Writer
October 30, 2018

Key Club is hosting a backpack drive for poor children in Chicago during this week.  Backpacks are a luxury to some poorer families in Chicago. These families often reuse the same backpacks making them...

Gerrymandering threatens the sanctity of our elections and the future to come

Marco Rivero, Spotlight Reporter
October 17, 2018

As hundreds of Metea seniors, and thousands of citizens nationwide, prepare to vote in the upcoming midterm elections, a group of Republicans in Maryland are likewise preparing, but not to vote; these...

The deterioration of the once great Hong Kong is truly a saddening event

Marco Rivero, Spotlight Reporter
October 11, 2018

Hong Kong, once the symbol of western wealth and power in the communist east now stands as a decaying reminder of the dangers of political gridlock. This pseudo-state has stood against the oppression of...

Brett Kavanaugh poses a threat to the Supreme Court

Marco Rivero, Spotlight Writer
September 27, 2018

rom the moment President Donald Trump nominated Brett Kavanaugh for the supreme court back in July, Kavanaugh has always been a controversial pick. Compared to his predecessor, Justice Anthony Kennedy,...

Load More Stories

Marco Rivero