Can money buy happiness?

With recent news of Robin William’s self inflicted death and many other celebrity suicide attempts, the thought is put into question – can money really buy happiness?

His suffocated body was found in a twenty-five million dollar home that he shared with his third wife, Susan Schneider. “I think everyone was really surprised,” said sophomore Grant Wilson. He won fifty awards that were given to him for the amazing characters he brought to life on the silver screen and William’s net worth was over $130 million.

Robin William’s performances in film were just as impactful as Billy Joel’s effective musical performances. Joel created a genre of music that changed the entire industry. “His music puts me in a good mood,” said senior Bri Heerhold. His singer-songwriter image has continued to impact artists in the 21st century and he has collected six grammy awards. In 1970, Joel succumbed to his overcoming depression and downed furniture polish in an attempt to kill himself. Billy Joel’s net worth at it’s height was over $180 million.

Nirvana, an iconic rock-n-roll band from the 90’s included Kurt Cobain, Krist Novoselic, and Dave Grohl. The lead singer, Cobain, started the band out of his garage – they soon released the song “Smells Like Teen Spirit” off their Nevermind album, which is now a theme song for teens everywhere. As the band’s popularity imploded, Cobain became more and more troubled and got into extreme drug use. “He had such amazing talent but he was obviously so conflicted,” said sophomore Carol Garcia. In 1994, as the band was at it’s peak, Kurt Cobain was found in his Seattle home that he shared with beloved wife, Courtney Love, with a self-inflicted shotgun wound to the head. “Fame got to him.” reacted sophomore, Kyle Loughlin. Cobain’s net worth was over $100 million.

With suicide and depression being extremely common in the media and entertainment business, it is also something people here at Metea Valley have struggled with and hid from their peers. “The truth is, suicide catches everyone’s attention. It’s the actions that lead up to suicide that go unnoticed,” Ava Hernandez, grade 10.

Depression and suicidal thoughts are not something that only a certain kind of person has. “Anyone can get help,” said sophomore Devin Myers. No amount of money or fame can cure someone of this disease.

Though, you can overcome these issues with hard work and determination. “With therapy and self exploration, I feel alive again,” said junior, Nikki Roberts, reflecting on her struggle with depression in the past. “I had to think positive, no matter what the situation,” sophomore, Jacy Monaco, also reflects.

September 10th is World Suicide Prevention day – If you or anybody you know needs help, refer them to a guidance counselor or call 1-800-273-TALK (8255).

By Megan Arnold

• M

MalaveOct 6, 2014 at 7:36 am

yes money could buy happiness for most people in the world.

Can money buy happiness?