Mabulay, Nagao win Voices of Democracy scholarship

Voices of Democracy is a competition for high school students that is founded by Veterans of Foreign Wars. The competition is a way for students to express their ideas and principles when it comes to our nation through their written essay and in their audio piece. Students have to submit an essay using the theme for the year and an audio submission of their essay. At the beginning of each year schools are sent information about the program  with posters and the organization relies on the schools to inform students about the opportunities.

The contest is a way to inspire patriotism though essay and audio submission using the theme for the year. Junior Grace Mabulay won the first place prize,which including $1,000 in scholarship money, coming in second place was Senior Enzo Nagao receiving $500 in scholarship money. Mabulay talked about why veterans are important for our past and future. “The theme was something that I really liked..the writing part is what I liked the most, I’m also on speech team,” Grace Mabulay said. Mabulay now has the chance to compete in the state and national competition.

Nagao’s key point was about how veterans lead the country forward and help to rebuild it. “The contest is important to me because I have family members that are veterans,” Enzo Nagao said. Military service is something that we do honor at our school, at the Veterans day assembly we had five star General McDew speak to us about patriotism and freedom.

Each year almost 40,000 high school students across the country enter the state competitions. While the first place winner of each state wins an all expense paid trip to Washington D.C..  At the national competition the winner receives a $30,000 dollar scholarship paid to the winner’s chosen college university or technical school.

By Monet Goldon