Students take on this year's Mikva Challenge

1aaaeditedSeniors chattered excitedly as Lieutenant Governor Evelyn Sanguinetti took the microphone, “The safety net is fine- the safety net saved me, but Illinois has to be so much more than just a safety net.”

On Dec. 6, Metea held its annual Mikva Campaign Fair. This year, the fair gave local students a chance to learn about local politicians, and potentially volunteer for their campaigns. “I think the fact that candidates thought it was important enough to talk to you guys meant a lot, and part of it is they know you can vote,” said government teacher Mrs. Fuhrer.

The fair was put on by Metea’s Social Studies department in hopes that students taking government courses would get involved, an endeavor that was reportedly successful. “I thought it made people think about campaigning or even voting,” said senior Levi Scott.

Not only were the politicians effective in inspiring civic interest, but their messages reached a broad audience. “It was definitely a good turnout, and there were even kids from other schools, like West Chicago and Neuqua who came,” Mrs. Fuhrer said. The number of students who attended the event left the large forum room so packed that many had to stand in the back for lack of seats.

Because of the success of the Mikva campaign fair, Metea can look forward to inspiring even more students to get involved in years to come.

By Madeline White

Photo by Andrea Lin

• L

Liz BienDec 16, 2013 at 8:33 am

It’s great to see the young people getting involved in our local politics. I think the Mikva Campaign Fair is a great way for our students to get involved with our government. I can only hope we can inspire others to help support future campaigns.

• R

Ryan DonovanDec 16, 2013 at 7:06 am

im so glad our seniors are getting involved into politics. im glad our school is doing. Maybe ill get into the field of politics. Go Go Mustangs. I love this school!