Metea sports kicks off with the Mustang Mania showcase

By: Hannah Cox   News Editor

August 23rd marked the true beginning of the sports season for Metea students. While many student athletes have been practicing for several weeks, this event showcased the many of the fall athletic events that will take place at Metea Valley. Even some sports coming later this year were presented, including both boys’ and girls’ sports. At Mustang Mania, soccer, basketball, tennis, badminton, lacrosse, water polo, track and field, golf, and football were featured at this event.

Most sports set up tables where people could participate in fun games, win candy, and find out more about the sport that they were looking at. Some tables even try to recruit potential athletes. “I’m really passionate about what I do. I want other people to feel the same,” said cross-country runner Emily Blair.

The boys’ soccer and football teams each got the opportunity to play scrimmage games on the turf. Spectators got to enjoy the sports, buy t-shirts, and visit the concession stand. The funds help benefit the athletic boosters so they can keep supporting sports at Metea.

The experience of Mustang Mania proved to be enjoyable for students who attended. The diverse sports at Metea keep the school full of a variety of hardworking athletes. Some students who do not participate in sports enjoyed visiting. “It’s important that they can see what’s out there and if they are not involved they can join and/or get to know people,” said junior Emily Nieland, a first year cross-country runner.

The community, fun activities, and exciting sport prospects excited Metea students for the 30th, Metea Valley’s first football game, which will be at Plainfield East. “Seeing everybody together is really cool for me,” Blair said.