Chapel Hill murders spark controversial religious discrimination

Tragedy struck the University of North Carolina, Feb. 10, when three young students, all of the Muslim faith, were brutally murdered at the hand of their neighbor, a Caucasian atheist.

Investigation is still undergoing, though, it was originally thought that the incident began from a dispute over a parking spot. The Saudi Press Agency released a statement Sunday regarding the murders: They believe the tragedy was a hate crime against the Muslim religion.

The terrorist attacks on the World Trade Center September 11, 2001 pushed the United States into a decade long war against those who caused the attacks, a Muslim terrorist group named Al Qaeda.

Soon after the tragedy of 9/11, many Americans succumbed to what is now coined as “Islamophobia,” or the fear of individuals of Islam or Muslim religion. From 2000 to 2009, hate crimes in America decreased by over 18%, while hate crimes against Muslims increased by over 500%.

“Islam preaches justice and peace for everyone, even people who don’t follow the religion. Many people just go off of what the media is showing, when the truth is really all behind the cameras,” sophomore Safa Shaik said.

After World War I, Hitler blamed the Jews for Germany’s loss of the war and led Germans to support the extermination of the Jewish population during the Holocaust. Today, we look back on the Holocaust as a tragic genocide fueled by ignorance and racism, yet we still allow ourselves today to perceive people of Islamic or Muslim faith as “terrorists”.

In times of distress or tragedy, we often look to blame someone to make ourselves feel better. Irrationally, Americans have blamed Muslim Americans for the Al Qaeda terrorist attacks.

Despite that Al Qaeda only represents a small portion of the Muslim population, for which the majority of Islam or Muslim citizens in America have no connection, ignorant Americans continue to call these individuals “terrorists” solely due to their religion.

“The actions of a few people should not be a reason to judge everyone from the Islamic community. It sickens me that people can discriminate a religion so much that there is a phobia created for these people,” junior Mounika Devakonda said.

These people live with the same values and views as any other American citizen. How can anyone base their knowledge and opinion of a certain race and religion over bias views and conspiracies?

Stated in the Quran, the religious text of Islam, “Allah forbids you not, with regard to those who fight you not for (your) faith nor drive you out of your homes, from dealing kindly and justly with them: for Allah loveth those who are just.”

Just like Christianity and Judaism, Muslims are taught to forgive, accept, and love, no matter the situation. Therefore, having violent acts of terrorism and war suppress and label an entire religion, when these acts are not based on or concerning the religious practice of Islam, is politically and religiously incorrect.

Whether a hate crime or a dispute over a parking space, three young students have been murdered. The wrongdoings of one man caused a horrible tragedy, though, it brought extreme exposure to a prolonged issue of racism and lack of knowledge.

Rest in peace to the victims, Deah Barakat, Yusor Barakat (Mohammad), and Razan Mohammad Abu-Salha.

Co-Written By Drew Danko and Megan Arnold

• J

Jack KorsgardMar 19, 2015 at 9:56 am

(Before you read, know that I am an atheist and do not have a bias towards a specific religion)
    A very well written article, but I have a few things to say. Although the Quran does talk about being peaceful early on, later in it begins to get extremely dark, telling people to “Kill infidels,” and such. Although there are peaceful portions of it, I don’t know how you can say it is a religion of peace when there is so much talk of killing people that have a different belief as you. Although I hate to say it, groups like ISIS and Al Qaeda, ARE following the teachings of Islam, and they are following it better than anyone else. They are peaceful with those of their religion (For the most part). But they will attempt to kill those who disagree with them, “Infidels” according to the Quran. Also, I would like to say that this article attempts to frame the crime as a hate crime, going on about prejudice against Muslims in America, which is certainly a big problem. But this shooting was almost certainly not a hate crime. He was known for being hot headed and aggressive, and was very unstable. The police, and his wife both said that he had a parking dispute with the same family recently. On the other hand, there wasn’t much evidence to support it was a hate crime. Although he was and Atheist, and against religion, he had never said anything wanting to harm religious people based on their beliefs. He had only spoken out against the religion itself.

Although I disagree with this article, it is well written, and a very good article. Thanks for writing it, it’s good to see the other side of the argument.

• A

Anushah SajwaniMar 11, 2015 at 12:51 pm

Thank you so much for this article it was very much needed to be said and informed about. I am Muslim, and as a Muslim I have been taught to forgive and forget and to create and spread peace. What these terrorist groups are showing are not a representation of the whole religion nor what it teaches. What the media shows us is as if they are targeting Muslims rather than being fair. If this situation was vise verse it would be shown all over the news, but because it’s an American doing the harm to a Muslim, it isn’t shown in the media as much. This article and understanding was needed to be announced and talked about more often.

• C

Conner LovelyFeb 24, 2015 at 10:39 am

I understand many people are seeing only “what the media is showing” but what the media is showing is horrific. This new terrorist group known as “Isis” is videotaping beheadings, caged infernos, and brutal murders. By no means am I saying they represent an entire Muslim community, however their despicable actions only fuel the fire for this fight on terror. Also, comparing a logical idea that these Isis members are REAL and BRUTAL terrorists, and the terrible genocide of Jews during WWII seems a bit ridiculous. While some Americans may think there is some overriding hate towards all Muslims, I can assure you that the MAJORITY of American citizens are not racist, close-minded, individuals. Most Americans are open minded individuals with less prejudice than one may think. While this article did shed light on a relevant religion issue, the connections and comments made were a tad, over-the-top.

• A

Arjun NairFeb 20, 2015 at 11:46 am

This is a great article. While Islam has had a violent history, so does every major religion (except Pastafarianism). I may not be a Muslim, but I know that it is important to remember that Islam also preaches peace and good relations between people. Muhammad himself (Peace be upon him) has said that “Do you know what is better than charity and fasting and prayer? It is keeping peace and good relations between people, as quarrels and bad feelings destroy mankind.” Besides, it is important to distance ISIS, Boko Haram, Al Qaeda, and other terrorist groups from Islam. We can’t equate the actions of a few radicals to the devotion of average Muslims. But, if we distance ISIS doctrine from Muslim doctrine, then any young person who might consider joining ISIS will look and see that they are not truly Islamic.