Math team eagerly prepares for state competition

The math team celebrates their recent win at their regional competition and prepares themselves to raise the stakes at the state competition on May 2nd.

“We mainly prepare by working together and cooperating with each other to solve problems. That’s where a big portion of our success comes from,” math team co-coach John Riddle said.

The process for competition preparation stays constant throughout the year. “We complete a lot of regional tests from previous years to prepare, because they will repeat the same types of questions a lot of the time,” junior Arjun Zutshi said.

“The material you must understand is almost identical.We meet about once a week for an hour and are able to use our peers and coaches as resources,” junior captain Imad Longi said.

Individuals compete on categories according to their grade level: freshman are tested on algebra I, sophomores do geometry, juniors do algebra II, and seniors do precalculus. Teams are divided into different sized groups and are ranked based on points given for each correct answer. Students can place at a competition for either an individual, team category, or both.

A driving factor in the math team’s success is their teamwork and dedication to math and problem solving in general.

“There are many very smart individuals on math team, but no one person knows it all.  We all rely on each other and our coaches to help us get through certain problem,” Longi said.

“I love getting to be with my friends and collaborating together on something we all enjoy at the same time,” senior captain Abhi Devathi said.
By Alicia Diaz