NISPA recognizes and teaches excellence in journalism

The annual Northern Illinois Scholastic Press Association conference, NISPA, was held Friday, April 24, at the College of DuPage. Student journalists from Northern Illinois, including Metea Valley’s newspaper and yearbook staffs, came together to attend workshops on topics that lead to becoming a better journalist and student.

NBC5 News reporter Mary Ann Ahern was this year’s keynote speaker. She told the story of her career in broadcast journalism from Peoria, IL, to Atlanta, GA, to finally, Chicago, IL. Her inspiring stories painted the picture of future journalism students, and showed on of the many the routes to success.

Along with the guest speaker, students and advisers attended sessions regarding teaching skills, leadership, team building, layout and design, photography, ethics, and writing. NISPA inspires and improves the journalistic attributes within high school students.

The afternoon ended with an award ceremony, where high school staffs are recognized for their yearly journalistic achievements. With awards including best yearbook layout, best features writing, and best sports writing, all areas of the school programs are noticed and awarded. Including the highest award, the Golden Eagle, which The Stampede has won three consecutive years.

“Our staff has worked really hard this year, and I am really proud I have led us to continue to make The Stampede the great publication it is,” former editor-in-chief Gabbie Ramos said.

Individual award recipients included: Ramos, Anastasia Bicolli, Grace Marshall, Emily Rodriguez, Nirmal Mulaikal, and Drew Danko.

By Megan Arnold

View Comments (2)

• A

A Noble FriendMay 11, 2015 at 11:35 am

Congratulations Nirmal

Reply
  • A

Antonio BusotApr 30, 2015 at 7:07 am

Actually, it’s about ethics in gaming journalism.

Reply