Student Athlete Leadership Team creates new opportunities for athletes

New athletic director Daniel DeBruycker wants to promote positive leadership in student athletes by introducing a new club for the upcoming school year, the Student Athlete Leadership Team.

SALT is a constructive program that is meant to focus on and around student athletes and what they can do to be better leaders both for their team and for the rest of the community. Every other week throughout the school year, students will meet to learn about what it means to be a leader, a good teammate, and improving overall leadership skills.

“Whether it’s having a possibly uncomfortable conversation on a hard topic, or thinking differently than the rest of the crowd, we challenge our students to be the best that they can possibly be,” DeBruycker said.

DeBruycker first implemented the SALT program at Crystal Lake and then Oswego East after hearing about it at a conference, and Debruycker plans to bring that success to Metea.

“SALT is something that I am extremely passionate about. The 15 meetings that we have every year are the best days of work for me,” Debruycker added.

Even though the title implies that the program is meant specifically for student athletes, it is open to all student leaders. Clubs and organizations that may not be considered sports are also welcome to attend meetings, such as yearbook or student government.

“No one who wants to be a part of this program will be turned down because it’s about doing the right thing and being a good person,” DeBruycker said.

The cooperation from students is necessary in starting SALT, and they are already looking forward to the program and the opportunities that it holds.

“I think having that sense of community between the range of student athletes from swimming to football will be very helpful in both improving individual team leadership and leadership throughout our school,” senior varsity swimmer Madie Sandberg said.

With the shift from the Upstate 8 conference to the Dupage Valley conference as well as DeBruycker entering as the new athletic director, Metea is entering a new chapter in its athletic program. There are many changes being brought to the scene; however, DeBruycker sees this as opportunity rather than a challenge to overcome.

“I’m always looking for room to grow, and I would love to see that happen in a variety of different aspects including parents, coaches, student athletes, and even this office itself,” DeBruycker said.

Along with SALT and the conference change, DeBruycker also plans to begin the Partnership of Positive Coaching Committee to foster positive influences throughout the coaching community. DeBruycker has large aspirations for each and every one of these new changes. “One of the things I am most excited about is to be a part of building new traditions that can still be around in the next 40 or 50 years here at Metea,” DeBruycker said.

By Lucas Rhamy

Sports Writer