Fresh Connect welcomes the Class of 2019

The Class of 2019 gathered in the gym on Tuesday to chant the Mustang fight song for the first of many times throughout their high school careers. The day of freshman orientation was packed with information to help introduce the newcomers to the school, as well as activities to jump start their school spirit.

Freshmen began their day by receiving their schedules in the commons, and then proceeded to a welcoming assembly where they were greeted by administration, the senior MCs, and of course, Marty the Mustang.  

“The welcome assembly was similar to the pep assemblies we have during the year, so it gave them a preview of what they’ll see later on,” senior Fresh Connect mentor Angela Gao said.

Students then proceeded to split up into smaller groups, led by their Fresh Connect mentors. They toured the freshmen around the school, assisted with opening lockers, and helped them meet new people within their small groups through ice breaker activities.

“I think the tour is the most beneficial part of the orientation,” senior MC and Fresh Connect mentor Conner Lovely said. “I know as a freshman I was so scared I would get lost at first.”

“I expected Metea to be huge and that I’d get lost, but the tour made me realize that it isn’t as big as I thought,” incoming freshman Dominic Capezzuto said.

Even though nervousness is common among freshmen as they enter into their new school, the Fresh Connect mentors’ goal is to make them feel as welcome and comfortable as possible.

“I thought I could help the freshmen find their way through their high school career and pump everybody up at the assemblies with these positions,” Lovely added.

Fresh Connect groups routinely meet throughout the first semester of the school year to ensure that students are getting accustomed to the school and to discuss topics like homecoming and finals.  

After being given a taste of the Metea L.I.F.E, through the assembly and tour, the freshmen ended the day at the social in the commons. Bags, basketball, music, and dancing helped freshmen interact with their mentors and get to know their peers.

“Before orientation I only thought about having more homework and harder classes, but now I’m a lot more excited about high school,” incoming freshman Jake Barker said.

By Alicia Diaz                                                                                                                           News Editor

• R

Renee businessJan 23, 2017 at 6:01 am

Omg watch