Diet soft drinks raises health concerns among students

While it’s true diet soda has less calories, those calories come at a cost. Most students know of the new cafeteria policy, with different food options, most notably, the inclusion of sodas sold during the school day. In an attempt to keep us healthy, our options have been limited to Diet products, presumably in order to quell parental and national concerns of the so-called “obesity epidemic”. Some students are worried about diet soda being the only option of soda available, when it contains the controversial sweetener, aspartame, known better as NutraSweet, Equal, Spoonful, and Equal Measure.

“I think our school is either very ignorant or very apathetic for trying to include [fake sugar] in the cafeteria… I think they should at least offer us healthier options,” senior Emily Meyers said. So while Metea’s attempt at keeping students healthy is appreciated, students would prefer to have the aspartame-free option of regular soda as well.

According to the Aspartame Information Center, aspartame is typically used because of its low calorie count and high potency. “aspartame is… approximately two hundred times sweeter than sucrose.” Despite the convenience, many say the calorie cuts aren’t worth the cost. The FDA has received several reports of symptoms such as migraines, fatigue, anxiety, nausea, and problems sleeping due to excess glutamate and aspartame. Those same chemicals, as according to the Federation of American Societies for Experimental Biology, “should be avoided by pregnant women, infants, and children.”

By Madeline White

• S

Sam Bear UrbanaSep 30, 2013 at 4:02 pm

Believe it or not… some of us NEED the caffeine. And there’s a lot of kids with eating or blood sugar problems… plus regular soda tastes so much better! 😛

• A

AnonymousSep 30, 2013 at 5:45 am

• N

Nick GarciaSep 27, 2013 at 8:32 am

Soda is bad. It rots your teeth.

• V

VSep 25, 2013 at 11:47 am

Drinking soda is not the reason America is obese. It’s the fact that the healthier foods in our lunchroom cost more than the unhealthy food. Diet soda is not going to end the obesity epidemic. If parents are so concerned about what their kids are eating, maybe they should start educating them on healthier food options. Healthy eating starts at home; not at school.

• M

MikeSep 25, 2013 at 8:20 am

Aspartame which can be found in many diet sodas has been known to cause cancer in people. Also, I noticed that in the teacher offices that they have vending machines with non-diet sodas. Why is that?

• A

AɴᴏɴʏᴍᴏᴜsSep 25, 2013 at 12:34 pm

You just answered your own question. It’s because of student regulations.

The teachers are exempt, obviously.

• M

MikeSep 27, 2013 at 8:25 am

So student regulations means only selling us a “sugar free”, or drink containing a carcinogen, to us? Nothing wrong here, I guess.

• M

Mike L.Sep 25, 2013 at 7:38 am

I do not feel like diet soda should be offered anywhere in the school. We supposedly push for more natural foods and yet we allow foods to be readily served with controversial ingredients such as aspartame.

• M

MattSep 24, 2013 at 12:20 pm

its putting more chemicals in your body

• A

Alexandra DadarioSep 25, 2013 at 9:08 am

You’re made of chemicals…

• A

ANONYMOUSSep 25, 2013 at 12:03 pm

However the chemicals being placed in our bodies with diet sodas are not the same as the chemicals in our body, and the invasive chemicals are harmful.

• J

Jalen BrimmerSep 24, 2013 at 11:20 am

I personally enjoy eating and drinking. I feel like when i drink what i want it shouldnt have that special sugar in it.

• A

AɴᴏɴʏᴍᴏᴜsSep 24, 2013 at 10:16 am

The soda industry may benefit from the use of more natural sweeteners like stevia. I, personally, have some growing in my back yard. It’s low on sugar(Even though it’s 20-30 times sweeter than sugar), isn’t bad for you, and comes cheap.

• A

Alex D.Sep 24, 2013 at 7:33 am

Dr Pepper is the greatest soda of all time!