Stadium remains clean with Recycling Rampage

By Alex Bosworth
News Writer
Photo by Alex Bosworth

On Friday nights, after the football players are done playing, cheerleaders are done cheering, the marching band is done marching, and the fans trickle out, a group of students remain in the stands to keep our school clean.

The “Recycling Rampage” takes place after every home football game, led by science teacher, Jeff Schmela. Students from Honors Biology, AP Environmental Science, and EcoClub all stay in the stands after the rest of the mustangs head home and pick up recyclables that have been left in the stands.

“[The Rampage] teaches the students that there are natural resources that get left behind. On a bigger picture, the amount of energy saved by recycling cans and bottles is huge,” Schmela says.

Besides helping keep our stands clean, the Rampage also helps promote community within Metea.

“Everyone gets together for a good cause, and we all help the environment,” senior Jake Toepfer said.

The Recycling Rampage is an awesome way for Mustangs to come together and do something that makes a difference in our school. Getting involved is a great way to help out, especially on this 9/11 Day of Service. Even though the football team will not be home tonight, students can help the community by staying after and helping clean up at Naperville Central. Participate in the next home rampage after the homecoming game, Oct. 2.

• K

Kim CrawfordFeb 26, 2016 at 8:14 am

I am always pleased to read about young people who are concern about recycling and are trying to prevent it and to help our environment. Thanks for sharing!!

• A

Avery MathewSep 22, 2015 at 9:21 am

Danko, this is great. Have a great school year lol

• N

Nick BakerSep 11, 2015 at 2:07 pm

Darn I wish I could have made it. When is the next one?