Weekly Sports Update: 9/07-9/12

Boys’ Soccer

Although the student section had a remarkable turnout, the Mustangs were defeated by rival Neuqua 2-1 at home on Tuesday in a sudden-death overtime round. Michael Lothridge scored first for the Mustangs, and Neuqua’s goals were both scored on penalty kicks. They continued to push forth all efforts at the start of the Pepsi Co. Showdown Tournament on Saturday, but lost 2-0 against Solario Academy. The Pepsi Showdown showcases the strengths of area schools, and is the largest high school soccer tournament in the country.  “It’s one of the highlights of every season because the environment is always so fun and competitive,” senior Brandon Howard said. The team will continue in the tournament Tuesday against Minooka. “From here out, our leaders are going to make sure every person is putting in 100 percent effort at every practice and game to pull us out of this hole,” Howard added.

[quote]By Alicia Diaz
News Editor[/quote]

Football

After a strong start against the third-ranked team in the state, Naperville Central, the Mustangs struggled to stop the Redhawks’ runs throughout the night. The Mustang defense pushed the Redhawks to numerous three-and-outs in the first half, allowing only two field goals and ending the first half with MV leading 7-6. Senior quarterback Conner Lovely ran it in for the lone Mustang score of the night. “We came out strong in the first half, but then we started to get content. It was hard to come back because we had made so many mistakes and they were capitalizing on them,” senior cornerback Reggie Hill said. Hill managed to hold an all-state receiver to one reception and also caught three passes on offense. After fighting to try to make a comeback, the Mustangs offense couldn’t score, ending the game with a score of 27-7. The Mustangs (1-2) will take on Wheaton North (1-2) in week four away at the Rexillus Field Friday night at 7:30 p.m..

Weekly Update football

White Out Student Section[quote]By Ashley Walker
Social Media Editor
Photos courtesy of MV Yearbook (Ryan Goluch)[/quote]

Girls’ Volleyball

The program celebrated a sweep over Hinsdale South Friday night, improving varsity’s overall record this season to 11-3. Varsity defeated Hinsdale South in two sets, 25-19 and 25-23. Senior outside hitters Natalie Krasuski and Ashley Walker recorded eight and seven kills respectively, and junior setter Miranda Cada notched eight aces and 18 assists. Junior libero Claire Rothenberger had 16 digs in the match. “It felt amazing coming out the very first to the last point and playing the way we know how to play. We knew the middle schoolers were coming to watch us that game, and we wanted to set a good example for the younger kids,” Cada said. The Mustangs will play rival Neuqua Valley Tuesday at home at 6:00 p.m..

[quote]By Drew Danko
Online Editor[/quote]

Cross Country

The boys’ and girls’ teams both competed at the Lake Park Invite and First to the Finish Invitational in Peoria’s Detweiller Park Saturday. The teams divided, and some runners went to Lake Park, while others traveled to Peoria. The lady Mustangs finished 15th overall with 408 points in Peoria, and 17th overall with 467 points at Lake Park. Leana Goldman finished 36th out of 326 runners in Peoria, with a time of 18:04.09. The boys finished 12th overall with 398 points at Lake Park and 25th overall at Peoria with 753 points. “I am very happy with my performance this weekend because I ran a time of 18:04, which is the fastest I’ve ever run three miles. This race was definitely one of our best performances we’ve ever had as a team,” Leana Goldman said.

[quote]By Drew Danko
Online Editor[/quote]

Girls’ Swimming

The girls’ varsity swim program took fifth in the Neuqua Valley High School varsity and Fresh/Soph invite on Sat. Sept. 13. In the 400 yard freestyle relay event sophomore Anna Scovill and seniors Jacquelyn Kurkjian, Madie Sandberg, and Amanda Burson took second place overall. In individual events Sandberg got second overall in the 100 yard freestyle event, Burson secured second overall in 50 yard freestyle event, Kurkjian got second overall in the 100 yard backstroke event, and Scovill managed second place overall in the 200 yard individual medley event. The Fresh/Soph program secured fifth place in the event.

[quote]By Turner Smith
Editor-in-Chief[/quote]

Boys’ Golf

After coming off a light week in which they only had two practices, the boys’ varsity golf team will play four matches in four days this week against Wheaton Warrenville South, Aurora City Meet, Glenbard North, and Naperville Central. With the switch to the DVC, this week should be indicative of their talent in relation to the rest of the conference. “It’s going to be a long week with four matches but with strong talent from Scott Boyajian and David Lipan along with the consistency and hard work the whole team has already displayed, we should be able to get some strong all-around scores up and put some wins in the bag,” senior Mark Prakash said.

[quote]By Nirmal Mulaikal
Sports Editor[/quote]