Lack of discussion on 9/11 leaves students dissatisfied

[quote]By Stephanie Sorich
Profiles Editor
Photo courtesy of thomasefranklin.com[/quote]

Last Friday marked the 14th anniversary of the September 11 attacks. Though most students were either too young or not yet born at the time of the attacks to understand the magnitude, many appreciate the time taken by their teachers to discuss or learn about the day that changed our nation forever. As it is always told, the victims of 9/11 began their day with their lives going on as usual.

And this year, the same can unfortunately be said for the students of Metea Valley.

In the beginning of the day, I was surprised to be greeted in first period with no mention of the anniversary. The same in second period. And third. And going on throughout the day, I learned that I was not alone in my realization.

It wasn’t until my sixth period class when my teacher asked how many kids’ teachers had talked about 9/11 that a disturbing number of hands were raised: zero. One of the most notorious and saddening days in American history was, in that instant, reduced to zero hands.

I will admit, I was too young at the time to remember where I was or what I was doing on that day, but the lack of recognition bothered me. And, apparently, lots of others.

“Although the story may be dark, it’s important for students to be informed so we can honor it,” senior Caroline Bourg said. “We understand teachers have a schedule and curriculum to teach, but this is a vital event in American history and should have priority.”

[polldaddy poll=9077528]

In terms of teachers, many agree that talking about the tragedy is important. So what happened?

“Especially now when most of the people we teach either were not alive when it happened or were very young and might not remember what happened, it’s important to pay homage to what happened and to people and families that still live with the aftermath,” government teacher Sydney Neukirch said.

Neukirch had each of her students complete an “I Will” statement on Friday, explaining what good deed they would do to commemorate 9/11. Though it serves as a small gesture, it was good to see kids feel confident in their ability to make a difference, and to respect all that America has been through. In previous years, a majority of students filled out an “I Will” statement and each statement was posted somewhere in the school.

Although the Metea staff has done a great job in the past with commemorating those who lost so much on 9/11, that simply cannot make up for the severe lack of teachers that brought it to attention this year. Over the last fourteen years, our nation has undergone thorough change. Flight regulations, wars on terrorism, and a crushing crack down of Homeland Security. Though our current generations may be educated, if we cannot continue to pay tribute to the day our nation changed forever, whether it be through service, “I Will” statements, or simply taking time to honor and remember what happened that fateful day, we cannot hope to see future generations truly understanding the impact that 9/11 posed on so many lives.

“If it truly was ‘the day that will live in infamy’” Bourg added, ”Then why aren’t we talking about it?”