Weekly Sports Update: 9/14 – 9/19

Weekly Sports Update: 9/14 - 9/19

Boys’ Golf

The boys’ golf team had a busy week. On Monday, the team fell short against Wheaton Warrenville South in a tight contest. With only one day off, JV bounced back and captured first place at the Aurora City Meet Championship behind Matt Berry and Matt Hummel, who finished first and second place respectively. In the upcoming week, the team will face St. Francis at home and Benet Academy and Naperville Central away.

[quote]By Nirmal Mulaikal
News Editor[/quote]

Girls’ Tennis

This week, the Mustangs fell 2-5 to Wheaton North on Tuesday, and 3-4 to Naperville North on Wednesday before defeating Downer’s Grove North, Cary Grove, and Riverside Brookfield to earn the sweep and place first at the Downer’s Grove North Trojan Invite Saturday. “We played Downer’s Grove North first and they were tough competition, but we ended up pulling through. One thing that we all improved upon was our net game, which was something we struggled with in previous matches,” senior Anjali Busch said. Next week, the Mustangs will take on Lake Park at home Tuesday, Naperville Central away Wednesday, Wheaton Warrenville South Thursday at 4, and IMSA, Plainfield East, and St. Francis Saturday in the IMSA Quad.

[quote]By Qiyuan Zhou
Graphics[/quote]

Girls’ Golf

After a tough loss to Wheaton Warrenville South Tuesday, girls’ golf had a great turnaround at Stonebridge Country Club Thursday in the defeat of the Glenbard North Panthers. The Mustangs shot 179, beating GBN by 15. Madison Kranz and Madie Grezlik both shot 49, breaking 50 for the first time this season, despite being on such a difficult course. “I am extremely happy because all season I have worked hard and keep getting 50 and 51. It’s great to know that my hard work and help from my coaches finally payed off,” Kranz said. This week, the Mustangs take on Plainfield East at Fox Bend, hoping for a good turnout at their senior night. They will also play Waubonsie at Springbrook on Wednesday.

[quote]By Ashley Walker
Social Media Editor[/quote]

Girls’ Volleyball

In its first DVC match-up of the season Tuesday at home, the team fell to the Neuqua Valley Wildcats in three hard fought sets: 13-25, 25-17, and 23-25. Senior outside hitter Natalie Krasuski recorded seven kills in the match. The team lost in two sets against Geneva on Thursday, and went 1-4 at the Wheaton Classic throughout the week. The program celebrated freshman A’s win in the St. Charles North tournament on Saturday. “We had some pressure, as the freshman team last year won the same tournament, but we were all really satisfied with how we had played,” freshman Kylie Mathison said.

[quote]By Drew Danko
Online Editor[/quote]

Boys’ Soccer

The Mustangs continued in the Pepsi Showdown tournament throughout this week, beginning with a 2-1 win against Minooka on Tuesday. The win featured goals from senior John Lynch and sophomore Nathan Barrett.  They went on to defeat Plainfield Central 2-0 at home with goals from sophomores Ryan Barry and Barrett. They ended the tournament with a 2-1 loss against Huntley, with Michael Adams scoring the goal on an assist by Jacob Kellogg. “Pepsi was a good learning experience and really helped us develop as a team. We plan to practice hard and stay focused to get ready for the upcoming conference games this week,” senior Billy Cihlar said.  The team will go on to face Naperville Central away on Tuesday.

[quote]By Alicia Diaz
News Editor[/quote]

Girls’ Swimming

The girls’ varsity swim team lost a hard fought dual meet against Naperville North on Thurs. Sep. 17, but managed sixth place in the West Chicago Wildcat Invite Saturday. The 200 yard medley relay group consisting of sophomores Anna Scovill and Natalie Castillo, and seniors Emily Garza and Amanda Burson won their event, finishing only three seconds off the state qualifying time. Burson also managed to break a team record in the 500 yard freestyle event. The team overcame some absences at meets to put together a good weekend to finish even without key seniors Madie Sandberg and Jacquelyn Kurkjian and sophomore Anna Scovill. “We did really well with some big team members gone,” Garza said.

[quote]By Turner Smith
Editor-in-Chief[/quote]

Cross Country

Boys’ and girls’ cross country combined to host Metea’s annual Run-A-Thon fundraiser Saturday at Mustang Stadium. Prior to the fundraiser, the members of each team ask family, friends, or teachers to pledge them a certain amount of money for each lap they complete within in hour.The runners will see how many laps they can run around the track in that hour with no breaks. Their goal for this season was to raise around $150 per person. Majority of the team completed 25 laps, and the girls team also did mile repeats. “Everyone did a great job this week, especially with maintaining a positive energy during our workout,” junior Nicki Cast said.

[quote]By Ashley Walker
Social Media Editor[/quote]

Football

Weather prevented the traditional “Friday Night Lights”, and the game against Wheaton North was moved to Saturday evening. The Mustangs lost 14-8 to the Falcons, senior quarterback Conner Lovely connected with senior receiver Jordan Cagigal in the end zone to score with 3:26 left in the fourth quarter, and junior Ben Loutsis caught for the two-point conversion. The Mustang defense pushed the Falcons to punt away on fourth down, but time ran out before they could finish another drive for a touchdown. The Mustangs (1-3, 1-3) will face the Waubonsie Valley Warriors (3-1, 3-1) in the “Eola Bowl” Friday night at North Central College, a bigger location for the growing rivalry. Last season, the Mustangs lost 35-34 to the Warriors in the regular season, and were knocked out by the Warriors in their first playoff appearance in school history 21-14. “[After Saturday] we are starting to get better as a unit, if we can avoid mental mistakes on big plays as a whole. We can be great, the play calling and talent is all there,” senior Joel Nanni said.

[quote]By Drew Danko
Online Editor[/quote]