Weekly Sports Update: 9/21-9/26

Weekly Sports Update: 9/21-9/26

Boys’ Golf

Once again, the boys’ golf team had a very busy week, as the team had 3 games in a 3 day stretch. In their first match against St. Francis, the team won their match 154-159 led by three players who shot under 40. The next day, the team fell to Benet 149-163 in Bolingbrook. Finally, the team also lost to Naperville Central in a tightly contested 150-154 final score. After two days of rest, the team shot 337 at the Sterling Invite, with David Lipan finishing with a 76 for a tie at fifth place.

[quote]By Nirmal Mulaikal
Sports Editor[/quote]

Girls’ Golf

After a successful past week, the Mustangs came into the new week with high hopes and high energy. They defeated the Plainfield East Bengals last Monday. Unfortunately, although the lowest score earned was par, the intensity from Monday could not carry over into their game against sister school, Waubonsie Valley. “I think this week as a team we struggled to keep our scores low like they had been the week before,” senior Katelyn Kline said. This week the Mustangs will take on Lake Park at the Indian Lakes Golf Course on Monday, and compete in the DuPage Valley Conference golf tournament this Tuesday.

[quote]By Ashley Walker
Social Media Editor[/quote]

Girls’ Tennis

This week, the Mustangs won 5-2 against Lake Park on Tuesday, 4-3 against Wheaton Warrenville South on Thursday, but lost 0-7 against Naperville Central on Wednesday. Meanwhile, the girls swept the IMSA tournament on Saturday to bring home the plaque. “Overall it was a pretty good week for the team… We’re definitely the type of team that will make the other team push it if they want to beat us,” junior Michelle He said. This upcoming week, the Mustangs will face Glenbard North, Wheaton St. Francis, and play in the Naperville North Invite.

[quote]By Qiyuan Zhou
Graphics[/quote]

Boys’ Soccer

The varsity team seems to be on the rise after winning two out of the three games played this week. They started off by defeating Naperville Central 1-0 with a goal from senior Michael Adams. “Every team in the conference proves to be a challenge, but playing against them and beating them for the first time in the school’s history is especially memorable,” Adams said. The Mustangs continued to win with a 3-0 shutout by goalkeeper Joey Coryell against Wheaton North. Senior Brandon Howard scored two of the goals, and Ryan Donovan took the third. They  put up a fight, but lost 1-0 to undefeated Glenbard North in overtime on Saturday. “We’re finally starting to build momentum and make an identity for ourselves,” Adams added. The team will play rival Waubonsie Valley this upcoming Tuesday at home.

[quote]By Alicia Diaz
News Editor[/quote]

Girls’ Volleyball

Volleyball had a busy week this week, playing six games total. In a matchup against Naperville North the team played three sets, first set ending 18-25, second set ending 25-20 and third set ending 17-25 leaving the team with a hard-fought loss. The Mustangs defeated Batavia and Plainfield South at the Waubonsie Valley Warrior Blast tournament in two games. However, they lost the battle against Neuqua, Waubounsie and Plainfield Central, coming out of the weekend with a 2-3 record. “We’re getting more of a feel for the DVC now as the season progresses and I think we’re getting a handle on things,” junior Maggie Petersen said. “We haven’t had a conference win yet, so that’s definitely something we want to accomplish,” Petersen added. 

[quote]By Lanie Lobdell
Features Writer[/quote]

Girls’ Swimming

Girls’ swim had another successful week, although they did lose in the Naperville Central dual meet. Despite the loss, the girls managed to go three for three in their relay events. Seniors Jacquelyn Kurkjian and Madie Sandberg, and sophomores Sadie Gregory and Anna Scovill picked up the win in the 200-yard medley relay event. Seniors Amanda Burson and Sandberg, and Gregory and Scovill, picked up another win the 200-yard freestyle relay event. Burson, Kurkjian, Sandberg, and Scovill picked up the final win in the 400-yard freestyle relay event. Despite a loss overall in the meet, the squad continued to prove themselves as a very strong relay program. “Central is tough competition, we were excited to win all three of our relays against them,” Kurkjian said.

[quote]By Turner Smith
Editor-in-chief[/quote]

Football

In a defining moment for the program, the team defeated Waubonsie Valley for the very first time at the varsity level. Amiri Finner ran in the first score of the night for 15 yards, and then returned the kick-off after a Warrior touchdown for 92 yards to make the second score of the night. The Mustang defense delivered in the second half, not allowing any Warrior scores. Lovely ran the ball in for the final score for the Mustangs of the night, making a final score of 19-7. Students cheered as the horn sounded the end of the game in the Mustangs’ first ever appearance at Benedetti-Wehrli Stadium at North Central College, signifying the first Mustang win against another Valley school. You can read our full game recap here.

[quote]By Drew Danko
Online Editor[/quote]

Cross Country

This week, the varsity girls finished first as they flew through Aurora Central Charger Classic course on Saturday. The freshman/sophomore team also placed third that day. “Overall, everyone had an awesome race and our entire program had a very strong performance. This is a fast course and the majority of the girls got personal records which was really exciting and boosted our confidence for these next meets,” junior Leana Goldman said. Goldman ran a sub 18 and had an overall personal record. Nicki Cast made a course record running an 18:35.3 second race in the gold division. Next weekend the Mustangs participate in the St. Charles North invite at LeRoy Oakes.

[quote]By Ashley Walker
Social Media Editor[/quote]

View Comments (1)

• A

Andre WentzelSep 29, 2015 at 7:42 am

Its great how much attention the guys cross country team gets. I love that You went so in-depth with our times and how well we did Keep it up Metea media. Exceptional job fairly representing all sports!

Reply
Weekly Sports Update: 9/21-9/26