Food Fight returns with initiative to make a difference

By Sushmitha Suresh
Online Writer
Graphic by Sushmitha Suresh

Students all around the world are always looking for active ways to help make a global difference, but students at Metea Valley have already gone large scale. Food Fight, an organization made up of high school students all around the Naperville/Aurora area, is actively looking to battle the fight against world hunger.

It all began eight years ago when two students from Naperville Central decided to eradicate world hunger on more than just a local scale. Metea started with Food Fight in 2012, but due to a lack of resources they were unable to continue. This student-led organization has returned, and is currently working with the Me to We club to make packaging day this year a reality.

“It’s our way of giving back on a more extreme level,” senior Ryan Mecaskey, a Metea representative for Food Fight, said. “A lot of times you’re able to give back to a local level and that’s awesome because we need that. But at the same time, I know a lot of students want to be a part of something bigger and Food Fight gives students that kind of route.”

The organization fundraises enough money in order to package as much food as possible and send it to a certain location every year. Currently, the location is undetermined. “Our goal this year is to raise 1700 dollars per school through fundraisers,” junior Celeste Ives, the head representative for Metea, said.

Food Fight works through Me to We and uses the money they fundraise to package food for a specific country every year. “We have meetings once a month and we work on big fundraisers for all of the schools including an annual Food Fight benefit concert,” Ives said.

You can support Food Fight at the Chipotle in Downtown Naperville Wednesday Oct. 14, where they will be selling t-shirts. If you say that you are with Food Fight, 10% of the cost of your meal will go to the cause. For more information on other fundraisers, you can visit their website here.