Senior events committee starts new tradition with Senior Movie Night

By Prashant Shankar
Online Writer
Photo by Drew Danko

The senior events committee worked to set up Senior Movie Night, as members of The Class of 2016 gathered on the football field Wednesday night to watch horror movie “Insidious” projected on a movie screen.

“I think it was a great idea,” senior Alexis Bass said. “I think that the weather was perfect, which was awesome. [It was] a great movie. It was really good to be able to socialize with just seniors and have something special for seniors.”

The committee rented an inflatable screen to project the movie onto for students. The committee arranged Senior Movie Night, along with other events, such as Senior Sunrise and Senior Brunch in order to give seniors special events to look forward to for their last year at Metea.

75 seniors attended the event, and MVStuGo sponsor Elizabeth Buchanan hopes that attendance will increase as the possible new tradition continues to grow. “It’s to just give seniors a fun way to enjoy a little something fun every couple weeks for the remainder of the year to make their last year here at Metea special,” MVStuGo and senior events committee sponsor Elizabeth Buchanan said. “Our goal is just getting kids to know that these events are here for you, and that hopefully we’re just going to keep building and getting more and more kids coming throughout the year.”

Seniors have enjoyed events such as Senior Sunrise and Senior Movie Night, since it’s the last time they’ll be able to take part in them. Some of these new events may even be established as tradition.

“It really brought us all together,” senior Jordan Cagigal said. “I thought it was a really good idea, and I think that we should do one in the spring time also to have that great feeling again. [I] also feel like we should continue this tradition that every fall we watch a scary movie.”

Students on the committee chose “Insidious” after voting and then receiving approval from administration. “We had our committee come up with a list of scary movies that they wanted to watch that were PG-13, so once we made that list, we sent it off to administration to get it approved, and that was the one that got picked,” Buchanan said.