Illinois representative urges students to connect with veterans

[quote]By Alicia Diaz
News Editor
Photo by Brittany Coates[/quote]

Stephanie Kifowit is the Illinois state representative for the 84th district, which covers all or parts of Aurora, Boulder Hill, Montgomery, Naperville, and Oswego. Previously, she served as the alderman for the city of Aurora. She is a veteran of the U.S. Marine Corps and served from 1990-1994. Joining the military, for her, was a decision she made completely uninfluenced from family members. It promised a future beyond the part-time job she worked in high school, as well as years of building character and strength. Ms. Kifowit urges students to adopt or visit veterans who are without support and are forced to live in homeless shelter. “Connect with them. Make them truly feel appreciated. They need to be connected with you, and you need to be connected to them,” Kifowit said.

Of your experience in the service, what has been the most influential to your character?

Well just being in the military was an experience in itself. When you’re in the military, you meet people from every part of the United States and every different personality and just really realizing how blessed we are to be here in America. And in the military they teach you leadership, confidence, and a go-getting attitude and I don’t think I would’ve gained that strength and character if I hadn’t joined the military.

Serving in the military is a huge challenge in itself, so what steps have you taken to overcome any challenges you’ve faced?

I just do it. I don’t care.

What are specific examples of obstacles you’ve had to deal with, and how did you go about doing so?

I don’t ever look at things at obstacles, but I look at them as opportunities. Opportunities to grow, opportunities to achieve things in life and so through the military I learned that where there’s an obstacle there’s always a way. I can look back and I don’t think I can identify any real “obstacles,” I just identify life’s challenges that I was able to overcome one way or another and it’s not always the way I thought it would be, but you always have to try different avenues.

How do you feel students are impacted from this assembly,  specifically seniors and those that are making upcoming choices regarding their life after high school?

For myself,  I think it’s very important for me to keep wearing my uniform and keep telling my story because you don’t see many women in the military, hardly at all. You see a lot of men in the military, so I think in terms of being a female and a female leader in the community, I want to motivate people that they can do whatever they want to do. They can join the Marines or whatever, and the military is an honorable way to serve their country right after high school, to be able to see the world, and to defend this wonderful country.

• B

Bob LoweApr 5, 2016 at 2:52 pm

I really think that it is important that young kids understand the importance veterans play in our freedoms. Like Stephanie said, being in the military helped her to realize how blessed we are to live in America. I also really like how she talked about motivating kids that the can become whatever they want. As a female in the military she was able to overcome the stereotype that all military personnel are men. She is showing kids that they can and are able to do what they dream in life.