Giving remains better than receiving

Giving remains better than receiving

[quote]By Drew Danko
Online Editor
Graphic by Drew Danko[/quote]

Americans are expected to spend an average of $800 on gifts this holiday season, according to the National Retail Federation. We fill our Christmas gift lists with all of the hot, new gadgets and clothes: a Fitbit Charge HR, Bean Boots, a drone, and a new iPhone. We’re so caught up in what we don’t have, that we find it difficult to give thanks for the things that we do have.

Over Thanksgiving break, my friend and I took a trip to Target to purchase gifts for a child in need. Key Club’s partnership with Alliance for the Children provides students a unique opportunity to help families in our district this holiday season by buying gifts for these children. However, most of these wish lists didn’t include the NexBoards or Vineyard Vines that many of us have starred at the top of our lists.

The child we sponsored asked for three things: underwear, socks, and a toy, in that order. Obviously, asking for expensive items in this situation may seem inappropriate for some families, but these kids don’t want new toys this year. They want things that most of us haven’t ever had to “wish” for.

DuPage County is the third wealthiest county in the state of Illinois, according to the 2012 census. Sometimes, it is hard for us to understand that there are people, even just next door, that are in need and looking for things like jackets, hats, or gloves this holiday season, rather than “traditional” gifts. I know that I can be a very materialistic person, but I also know how great giving back feels. Knowing I am helping locally, in the same school district, only makes the humbling feeling of giving back that much greater.

Going shopping for these gifts was a fun experience. We were shopping for a seven-year-old boy, and we decided to get him all Despicable Me items. We bought a winter hat, underwear, socks, and Despicable Me Operation. These items only cost us $35, but we know they will make someone’s holiday season a lot brighter. Opening presents and receiving gifts is definitely exciting in the moment, but it does not match the joyous feeling I had the entire day after shopping for a seven-year-old who I have never met. Giving is truly better than receiving.

DuPage County provides many organizations you can give back to this season at givingdupage.org. You don’t have to spend money to give back; you can donate your time by working at a soup kitchen like Hesed House, helping out at a homeless shelter, visiting a retirement home, or ringing a Salvation Army bell in front of a local grocery store.

And here at Metea, you can do what my friend and I did: sponsor a child through Alliance for the Children. There are still many gift tags available for students to help out with. You don’t have to purchase the items alone, you can commit to the tag with a friend or group of friends. Rather than spending your money on seeing a movie or going out to eat, you and your friends can use that money to help someone who needs it much more than yourself. Pick up a gift tag from Mrs. Povilonis in H206, Mrs. Hoffert in H124, or Mr. Fox. Bring your unwrapped gifts and white tag to the freshman class house Dec. 4, Dec. 7, or Dec. 11 before school. Show your gratitude for all you will receive this holiday season by giving back.