1:1 technology program introduces Google Chromebooks to students

By Chesney Wargo
News Writer
Photo by Brittany Coates

Select Metea Valley classes are piloting Google Chromebooks for the 2016-2017 school year to prepare for each student getting one the following year. This year, classes such as American Society, Peer Partners, and AP English III have tested out the new Google Chromebooks.

Language Arts teacher Erin Kulinski explained the goals of the program, some of which includes providing students with real world technology skills and integrating the digital world into coursework.

“Simply, my hope is to introduce and implement tools to help students best engage with class and content. It’s an exciting time for us, and I hope to pass on all the things I learn[ed] this year to my peers,” Kulinski said.

Teachers are planning to utilize the new technology to its every extent. The Chromebooks will be put to work, whether it be in the form of lesson plans, homework, or classroom activities.

“We can use this technology to have information at our fingertips in seconds. We can use programs at the same time to collaborate in and out of the classroom, and we can use programs to express our creativity in presentation of information,” Kulinski said.

Currently, Google programs such as Classroom, Drive, and Docs are used as a foundation in most classes, so the addition of the Google Chromebook will make it easier for students to complete and turn in assignments.

“The Chromebooks don’t change our curriculum, but it will change our approach and what we can do with our curriculum,” Kulinski said.

Students are especially excited for opportunities the new Chromebook program brings. The fast communication between students and teachers is an important way for students to utilize the new technology.

“I think the Chromebook will help the collaboration aspect of the classroom. For the revisions in English, multiple people can go on your document and make comments and concerns that will help you in the long run,” junior Nina Koeppen said.

Although most kids can’t wait to dive into a more modern classroom, some students worry about the possible problems with the new program.

“I think that some classes are going to start creating a lot of the homework and activities over computers, but they really need to keep in mind that not everyone has Wi-Fi or Internet access from their homes,” Koeppen said.

Even with the uncertainties, Kulinski remains positive that students will adapt and prosper from this new introduction of technology in the classrooms.

“I think this move to 1:1 is really going to open some doors for our students. I hope they feel the same,” Kulinski said.

View Comments (6)
Chesney Wargo
Chesney Wargo, Co-Social Media Editor and Headlines Editor
Chesney is a senior who is excited to be in her second year of Newspaper as a news and social media editor. She enjoys playing soccer here at Metea. Chesney is also looking forward the coming years as she is attending Central Michigan University to play division one soccer and continue her educational career. 

• G

GamewrecSep 14, 2016 at 11:32 am

Remember that that Benjamin said the back lite was broken and the laptops are older the one i am using right now is the traditional dell latitude 3340 it has been here for three years and it still is running like brand new WITH builds i am just saying that these are more reliable from what i have seen and here and there i know you have to get the keyboard fixed on some but that is better than a new screen and google really themselves would of liked something more like windows they are almost there but not there yet i recommend to get nice laptops and keep them for a long time like Toshiba or asus laptops or even a couple tough books those things are expensive but people still use them and they are from 2000

Reply
  • G

GamewrecSep 14, 2016 at 11:23 am

I believe Chromebooks do not contribute they are not that good the school could take laptops like they had last year and use Linux or Windows 8.1.Chromebooks are alright its just in my opinion they are less fun and more restricted but the computers.Even though we are meant to work on them its also a pain to code on them and the school can not keep Microsoft products and its might be easier to edit accounts but what was wrong with windows?

Reply
    • C

Chef RemySep 20, 2016 at 10:43 am

These are to do simple tasks on such as use Google Docs and turn that document into Google Classroom. Not to code. We also do not need beefy computers either, as long as these things work smoothly its all good for the student.

Reply
  • B

Benjamin WeissSep 2, 2016 at 12:13 pm

To be honest, I think the chrome books are a great addition to the classroom. They are very reliable as you don’t have to wait for the laptops to get driven in like previous years, and now you can bring it out whenever you want. Many assignments require classwork, and by having quick access to a laptop, it makes it way easier. I remember certain work days were ruined because a laptop cart wasn’t sent or we couldn’t access a computer lab. They also its also great when it comes to classwork as it has all of the features you need for any assignment like docs, classroom, and drive. You also don’t have to sign in all the time and wait for the servers to work. Once you sign in for the first time, you’re automatically signed in every other time you open the chrome book and once in, you don’t have to wait 200 decades for it to load up. However, from my experience at least, there are some limitations and even errors. You can’t use the right click like on other computers, and that makes certain tasks a lot harder, especially copying links and autocorrect. I also had to go through three chrome books due to technical issues. One where the wifi wouldn’t sign me in, making it useless, and another where the back light broke, making it hard to see. I’m an typing currently on my third one, and while there hasn’t been any issues recently, it does show that there are some problems that need to be solved. Despite that, I think the chrome books are very useful for school life and a welcome addition to the classroom.

P.S. I am in the picture in the far right. I’m the one that looks depressed out of my mind, probably because it was during the day the back light was broken on the chrome book.

Reply
    • B

brandon sfikasSep 14, 2016 at 9:25 am

this is fantastic

Reply
    • V

Varsity AppleSep 14, 2016 at 9:33 am

Your points make quite a lot of sense actually. To be fair at first I though this was a horrendously stupid idea but after reading what people are doing with them and why they are using them I have to agree. I still think Its a bad idea to allow students to take them home but hey, who knows.

Reply