Professional X Game athletes to perform at anti-bullying assembly

Graphic by Ana Bicolli.

In support of Anti-Bullying Month, professional BMX bikers, skateboarders, and inline skaters from the famed X Games will perform this Friday on behalf of the United States Marines and Anti-Defamation League. 

The ASA Entertainment High School Tour travels around the nation in hope to spread anti-bullying awareness to high school students. Performing on a state-of-the-art half-pipe to be set in the student drop off, the organization utilizes high energy entertainment and educational messages to provide students with the powerful anti-bullying prevention experience.

“[ADL] worked on something that is very high school driven and created something that is exciting and entertaining while still being able to splash that message in,” Dean Jennifer Rowe said.

Metea was one of the few schools selected for the national tour. These shows range from $20,000 to $30,000 with equipment costs, but the organization provides the programs to high school at no costs.

“I think kids will be very excited to see the show and be able to see the people in action. It will open the eyes of students a little more to have an interesting speaker with a thrilling life,” junior Alli Bellandi said.

A large production to construct, it takes about five hours for the crew to set up the half-pipe ramp and the rest of the course for the performers. A small semi truck delivers the materials to be set up outside of the athletics entrance.

According to the Anti-Defamation League, 47 percent of high school student didn’t tell anyone when witnessing bullying. These kids are all labeled as bystanders. The tour is put in place to leave a lasting impression on these types of students, preventing bystanders and teaching students the art of interrupting instances of bullying. 

“Anti-Defamation League and U.S. Marines collaborate together to get the message out about what bullying is and how to be interrupters [of bullying],” Rowe said.

Being an interrupter is important to understand because 88 percent of students have seen someone be mean or cruel on social network sites, according to ADL statistics. The 88 percent do not act upon the incidents, but instead ignore them. This organization provides this national tour in order to share the real facts relating to bullying, and how to assess a situation involving a bully and victim.

The program will take place Friday, Sept. 30, 2016 during Metea’s pep assembly at the end of the day.

Hailey Hagemaster
Hailey Hagemaster, Newsmag Editor-in-Chief
Hailey Hagemaster has been on staff for three years and is current EIC of the newsmag. She plays volleyball, loves country music, and goes crazy without her coffee fix.

• P

Please be a jokeOct 5, 2016 at 10:45 am

“Won Vietnam”

• D

DJ KhaledOct 4, 2016 at 11:24 am

This was an amazing pep assembly, ‘bless up’ for whomever organized this event, and lets have ‘another one’. And what was that guy in the background saying?

• T

The only man with common senseOct 3, 2016 at 11:40 pm

Matt this is not the place to exert your useless and irrelevant political views. The entire topic of this article was to discuss about the Anti-Bullying assembly. You are linking two unrelated topics so that you have a pathetic excuse to show your historically incorrect claim and your very subjective political thoughts, that you should express elsewhere. Your feeble minded attempt not only created a negative atmosphere in the comment section of this article but also showed everyone how you ruin every MeteaMedia article you comment on with your incorrect and irrelevant thoughts. Please think before you comment next time.

• M

Michael CouchOct 3, 2016 at 12:46 pm

Matt, this article is about the anti-bullying assembly, it has nothing to do with Trump. It is ironic that Trump supporters complain about liberal agenda when you are clearly forcing your agenda in the most random place. Regarding your content, first, you claim we won the Vietnam war which is empirically wrong. The objective of the war was to prevent North and South Vietnam from uniting under the leadership of the North which is exactly what happened. You make the claim that liberal bias has ruined our generation, yet the generation you are advocating a return to, the late 1960s and early 1970s, was arguably the most liberal generation of the 20th century. As for your final point that Trump will save the country and Clinton will destroy it, that is a very subjective claim. Both parties are beholden to their donors which, in both cases, is corporate America.

• .

...Oct 3, 2016 at 12:20 pm

That assembly was actually the worst. No one took it seriously at all, there was no point for any of us being there.

• D

doodlebobSep 30, 2016 at 11:16 am

“anti-bullying prevention”