Why “this could be the year”: a 2016 Cubs playoff preview

Photo by Ethan Meyers.

“Try not to suck.”

It’s safe to say the 2016 Cubs have definitely lived up to manager Joe Maddon’s expectations, as he is well known for motivating the club with the above slogan. It’s also a fair assumption to make that the Cubs have been baseball’s best team this season. With a league-leading 103-58 record, a top offense, dominant pitching, a well-respected manager, and passionate fans, the Cubs have definitely had a tremendous regular season.

Even though the Cubs have accelerated their way to the top of the standings, the postseason will certainly not come easy. After beating the New York Mets Wednesday in the National League Wild Card Game, the San Francisco Giants will be the Cubs’ first round opponent. This is a team which has won three championships in the past six seasons, and definitely brings a test of experience. The Giants are led by ace Madison Bumgarner, who pitched a stellar shutout on Wednesday allowing four runs in a complete nine inning game. While the Cubs may not face him every game, he is still a threat with a career postseason 1.94 ERA and won the title of the 2014 World Series MVP. The Giants also have tremendous offense led by 2012 N.L. MVP and one of the most well-rounded hitters in the game, Buster Posey. Although the team has a tough path ahead, the Cubs have plenty of reasons for fans to be optimistic and believe that “this is the year”.

One factor which will help the Cubs to a successful October is the lineup. Having the third top offense in all of baseball, the Cubs will need the bats to stay alive and be a threat to each and every pitcher on the mound. As they have been all year, first baseman Anthony Rizzo and third baseman Kris Bryant will need to be on top of their game in leadership positions. Both are perennial MVP candidates, as they finished the season with 32 home runs/109 runs batted in and 39 home runs/102 runs batted in, respectively. They have also combined for approximately 12 percent of the teams’ wins. The best thing about the two is that Rizzo is 27 and Bryant is 24, so while they have definitely had amazing seasons, they could still be reaching their prime with room for development. This is great for the team, because they are part of a long-term core group which will help them compete for seasons to come.

While Bryant and Rizzo have anchored the lineup, there is a number of other assets which contribute throughout the lineup. Having played in the postseason multiple times, 35 year old second baseman Ben Zobrist is a veteran who was brought in this season to give leadership and experience. Centerfielder Dexter Fowler also is a major threat with his incredibly high .393 on-base percentage. Rounding out the lineup are younger players such as shortstop Addison Russell and outfielder Jorge Soler. They may not have the superstar status of Bryant or Rizzo, but have definitely showed growth and look to contribute in the future.

Another key which will help the Cubs succeed this postseason is the pitching. The team has a 3.15 combined ERA, safe for first in the MLB. Leading the way is 26 year old Kyle Hendricks, who has had a huge breakout this year. With a league-leading individual 2.13 ERA and a 16-8 record, he looks like a clear favorite for the Cy Young Award. Along with Hendricks, left-hander Jon Lester is also a Cy Young favorite, as he has a 2.44 ERA and 19-5 record. He also brings experience, as he previously won a championship with Boston in 2013. Finally, right-hander and last year’s NL Cy Young winner Jake Arrieta will look to continue his dominance. While he hasn’t been as stellar as Hendricks or Lester this year, he is still a valuable asset and brings leadership, as he was the only pitcher in baseball to throw a no-hitter this season. Rounding out the rotation are Jason Hammel and John Lackey, two veterans with plenty of morale.

In addition to the starting rotation, the bullpen has also been dynamic as well. Leading the way is closer Aroldis Chapman. Acquired from the New York Yankees at this year’s trade deadline in July, he is one of the most well-respected closers in the game, finishing the year with 36 saves and a 1.55 ERA. Him, along with the rest of the relievers, will need to keep wearing the opposition down in order to close the game out.

Fans, get ready. Buckle up for what could be a wild October. This is a team that had an incredible regular season, and there’s no reason why playoffs should be any different. Although the Giants bring a test of experience and are always a threat come playoff time, the Cubs look primed to dominate. This is a team that exceeds in all elements of the game, bringing plenty of depth and excellence. With a still relatively young roster, a successful playoff run this year could mean several more for years to come.[polldaddy poll=9542445]