Weekly Sports Update: 10/24 – 10/28

Kainin Blissett

Girls’ Cross Country By Brianna Powell
The girls’ cross country team has qualified for the IHSA State Final. After a sectional meet at the Stuart Sport Complex in Montgomery, the girls landed a 4th place team finish out of 12 teams and punched their ticket to the state competition. Led by senior Leana Goldman’s 8th place finish with a time of 18:04, this marks the program’s second consecutive team advancement. The Lady Mustangs will compete at the State Final next weekend at Detweiller Park in Peoria.

Boys’ Cross Country By Brianna Powell
Boys’ cross country has found a state qualifier in junior Ralph Papa. A first IHSA State Final advancement for Papa, he advances 15th out of 141 competitors in the Naperville North sectional with a time of 15:45. Papa will compete at the State Final next weekend at Detweiller Park in Peoria.

Girls’ Volleyball By Sameen Ali
This past week, girls’ volleyball ended their season after having played in the regional semifinals. On Tuesday, the team dominated against Naperville Central, winning two sets 25-12 and 25-17. The girls moved on to play against defending state champion St. Francis on Thursday, and although they lost, they played tough and finished the season strong with the support of their coaches and fans in the audience.

Girls’ Tennis By Trinity Powell
After a great season for the girls’ varsity tennis team, freshman Taylor Goldman and seniors Michelle He and Stacey Wei competed in the IHSA State Final last weekend at Buffalo Grove High School. For the first time in program history, the varsity team sent both singles and doubles competitors to the state tournament.

Girls’ Swim and Dive By Zainie Qureshi
On Friday, the divers had a conference a Naperville North High School at the same time JV2 had their conference at Waubonsie Valley. On Saturday, there was a varsity and JV1 conference. It was a great way to end the season, as multiple people had time drops. Looking forward, girl’s swim & dive is focusing on sectional swimmers swimming in sectionals in 2 weeks and State the week after that.