Opinion: LGBT education should be implemented in school

CaptureLightspeed Systems is an internet filtration system used at Metea that prevents students from accessing inappropriate information while at school. Lightspeed Systems bans the usual, basically anything to do with pornography or swear words. However, also banned is the word, “gay.”

For instance, if a student searched “gay marriage activists,” it would be regarded as an inappropriate search. The search “straight marriage activists” is perfectly fine. It could just be an accident, as the word “gay” is often used as an insult and the word “straight” is not. Upon further research, a student finds that the words, “bisexual,” “lesbian,” and “queer” are also considered inappropriate for school browsing.

While not outright condemning those who live with a non-heteronormative identity, the filtration system’s ban on these words is implying that identifying as gay, bisexual, lesbian, or queer is “not acceptable.”

It could be argued that sexuality in general is an inappropriate search option during school hours. If that was the case, then the term “sexuality” would be banned. It is not banned.

More “obscure” identifications (such as pansexual, transgender, asexual, omnisexual) seem to be deemed acceptable. This is most likely a case of a lack of education on these other identifications, among others.

Furthermore, why is talking about sexuality and non-heteronormativity such a taboo in a school setting? The point of school is learning: about the world, humankind, and yourself. How can we as a species move forward if we continue to ignore the difficult subjects in the place in which we learn?

At Metea we have a beacon of hope. Advanced Health is an option for students, but it’s still only a start. We need gender studies, ethnicity/race studies, and sexuality studies. Not meaning the school should administer “the sex talk,” but that identification in gender and sexuality plagues adolescence, primarily due to ignorance. The people who bully and create problems for the people who don’t fit the bill of “average” are the people who are, by far, the most uneducated. As a school teaching young minds to change the world, why aren’t some of the most prevalent issues discussed? It is not any single person’s fault.

The school is (obviously) not to blame for homophobia; this is a global issue that almost all humans struggle with. However, we can make our mark in modern society by telling gay, lesbian, and queer students they are accepted within these school walls.

By Jenna Keeney

• H

HUMAN RIGHTS ARE IMPORTANTFeb 5, 2015 at 8:11 am

People who think that we don’t need education on sexuality have obviously never walked these halls. I’m new to the school, and the amount of people who uses “gay” like an offense CONSTANTLY, is way higher than I’m used to, and quite frankly a lot more than I should be hearing in the halls. Every single time I hear it, I feel super uncomfortable, and no matter how much people try to convince me otherwise, whenever I look at a person who says that, my respect for them, and my consideration of their intellect drops a lot. What I’m hoping, is that this is due to a lack of education on the subject, instead of a lack of tolerance. New research says that sexuality may be linked with genetics, and if that’s true, this is something we’re born with, like our ethnicity or our biological gender, both of which we learn about in school, because school is a place of education, and high school especially is a key part in forming our identity. That’s why the school makes it important to teach you about tolerance. THAT is why we learn about religion, race, gender, and all those things. To make sure when you go out in college, that you don’t go around being offensive and alienating people. Having that search blocked is preventing us from an education, not just about others, but possibly about ourselves. It’s not making a mountain out of molehill to talk about it. Because when there are people dying, getting abused, getting bullied, and getting disowned due to their sexual orientation or preferred gender, every little bit counts. The more tolerant that the more towns get, the faster we get equality. And the most proficient method to getting equality is education.

• M

MeganFeb 10, 2014 at 7:55 am

The internet and search engines are sources students use at this school for work and research yet our brilliant blocking system blocks out half the information. I think not only blocking the word ‘gay’ but blocking other meaningless topics for no reason is over powering and completly penalizes our use of school resources.

• M

Master YodaFeb 7, 2014 at 5:19 pm

A school this is

A social issues forum this is not

do your math homework you should

• A

AlexFeb 5, 2014 at 12:19 pm

Just a waste of time, we don’t need to learn attraction on same-sex.

• D

Dakkota R EslerFeb 5, 2014 at 10:59 am

I’m gay, and I agree with side of the internet. I don’t think LGBT issues is something that should be talked about within school. If you are doing a project in which lgbt issues, you can ask the tech people or librarians to let you search. Also, the databases allow you to search homosexual issues, and you can just use those. But overall, the idea of homosexuality isn’t something the schools should talk about unless within the schools gsa. Sorry, but as a gay man i agree with internet block.

• T

Trevor ScarlettFeb 5, 2014 at 8:22 am

I can’t even search the word “zombie” without my internet getting suspended from the school for like 30 minutes

• A

AnonFeb 4, 2014 at 1:52 pm

GO d204…discrimination at it’s finest..

• M

MaxFeb 4, 2014 at 1:51 pm

i’m glad someone brought this to the attention of the school…..I tried to search “gay rights” for a project and that got blocked as well.. WHAT THE HECK d204!

• J

Joel NanniFeb 4, 2014 at 1:17 pm

I dont aprove of this at all, if you cant talk about religion in the school why should we talk about gays

• A

anonFeb 18, 2014 at 9:15 am

because being gay isn’t a religion

• J

Jake StrangeFeb 4, 2014 at 9:29 am

yall are calling this homophobia? this country is headed straight down the tubes

• A

AP3Feb 4, 2014 at 7:40 am

I was trying to right my ap3 inquiry project about parts of homosexaulity but had to switch topics because the school blocked anything to do with it.

• A

abigailFeb 3, 2014 at 8:41 am

you also cant google homosexual… just saying

• B

Big RobFeb 3, 2014 at 8:24 am

More glorification of something that should be taken seriously, but not blown out of the water. ughh