African American History Month assembly celebrates every voice

Students gathered last Thursday for the Black History Month celebration. An annual affair to honor those who have made advancements in African-American history, students, faculty as well as students from local middle schools joined in the auditorium during 4th period for the hour-long assembly.

“Black history [to me] means an opportunity to learn more about myself and where I come from. Sometimes it is not celebrated and taught on a regular basis, so in my own family it is something we talk and learn about,” Dean Jennifer Rowe said.

The entire month of February is designated to honor Black history and the advancements that have been made over the years. Metea makes the ultimate effort to celebrate. Emceed by seniors Sannah Boyd and Demetrius Steele, the program highlighted the contributions of Black Americans such as Dr. Ben Carson and Rosa Parks. 

The experience prompted students to reflect what Black History Month meant to them. “Black history is the celebration of all the people who made it possible for freedom and remember what they have done for us,” senior Sean Dube said.

Perhaps most notably, the assembly featured storyteller Oba William King. Calling on African influences, King utilized percussion, poetry, and vocals to tell the story of Black culture. Using call and respond during many of his songs, he engaged the audience with a performance of his original song “I Love My People”.

“When [the performers] were storytelling there was also music behind it, and we get a feel for that time and all the emotions,” senior Ashley Hollis said.

The assembly also included African American culture through music and performances from the Jazz Ensemble and a selection of “Lift Every Voice and Sing,” sung by the members of Muses.

“I thought [the assembly] was a really empowering experience. It was nice to see groups that I have not seen before such as the Jazz Ensemble,” junior Anisha Kapoor added.

Students gained knowledge and understanding of the many achievements made throughout U.S. history by African-Americans.

“We are America, and it is important to know where we come from,” Rowe added.

View Comments (1)
Hailey Hagemaster, Newsmag Editor-in-Chief
Hailey Hagemaster has been on staff for three years and is current EIC of the newsmag. She plays volleyball, loves country music, and goes crazy without her coffee fix.

• J

JAckFeb 28, 2017 at 8:33 am

What is the point of it being black history month if we celebrating everyone?

Reply