Filed under Sports

Ultimate Frisbee continues to succeed and expects positive results at State.

Since March, Metea Valley’s Ultimate Frisbee teams have continued to sustain the dynamic success that the program has been accustomed to over the years. Although this season has had some strange effects due to weather and the postponement of a handful of games, the energy that the athletes consistently hold has made for exciting season so far.

Despite ultimate frisbee not being recognized as an official sport by the DuPage Valley Conference, it still plays an integral role within Metea’s athletic community. With strong player turnouts every Spring, coach Jonathan Ogrodnik is pleased about the program’s growing popularity

“[Our season’s] been a little disappointing with rainouts, but overall, it’s been good. We have three different teams and the player turnout has been huge,” Ogrodnik said.

Currently, the teams participate in the Chicago High School Ultimate League. The league consists of familiar DVC rivals such as Neuqua and Waubonsie, as well as other schools including Plainfield North, Downers Grove South, and others. The athletes enjoy the competition amongst other schools, but also have a strong passion for the game itself and being able to bond with others.

“There’s such a great community around the game and even when we play other teams, they’re really nice. They’re always willing to help us,” junior Donesh Devathi said.

One interesting aspect about these teams is that a lot of new leadership roles have been filled for this season. Last season, much success was centered around athletes from the class of 2016. However, the teams are constantly working on the fundamentals of the game such as offense and defense, and this is something which is important in order for strong cohesion on the field.

“Being a leader is fun, because you get to teach the new kids how to throw and just play ultimate,” senior Kyle Adams said.

This upcoming weekend, all three teams will participate in the state tournament at the Stuart Sports Complex in Montgomery, Illinois. With goals on the line, the athletes are obviously hoping for a great outcome, but are also pleased with the effort and progress that’s been made all season long.

“We got seeded in a pretty tough pool, but I think our main goal is to go out there and just get as far as we can,” senior Hudson Baer said.

2 Responses to “Ultimate Frisbee continues to succeed and expects positive results at State.”

1. Kyle Welsh on May 20th, 2017 5:21 pm

The Ultimate Frisbee team makes me very proud to be part of Metea Valley. I think being on the team actually assists my actual education because the team is a community you can go for anything and have a good time with everyone on the team. I’m so proud to be a part of the team and everyone on the team are all very good people. I would highly recommend joining next year.

2. thimira on May 22nd, 2017 8:31 am

Grant Kern is standing behind me

▸ Attempts to imply comments were written by a person other than the author

• Ultimate Frisbee continues to succeed and expects positive results at State.

Sports

Sports Update 5/15 – 5/19

Sports

Girls’ water polo finishes season on an encouraging note

Sports

Weekly Sports Update: 5/8 – 5/12

Sports

Boys’ water polo takes strong record into sectionals

Sports

Boys’ volleyball serves up a win against Waubonsie

Sports

Boys’ track takes pride in recent success and looks to end the season on a high note

Sports

Girls’ Badminton serves success at the DuPage Valley Conference Tournament

Sports

Weekly Sports Update: 4/24 – 4/28

Opinions

Struggles of the Student Athlete

Opinions

April Mane