Filed under News

Readiness Days jump start the new year

Dr. Echols provided an enthusiastic welcome to a new school year during Metea Valley’s inaugural readiness days last week to prepare the entire student body for the 2017-18 school year. The days included tasks designed for the students to prepare for the upcoming year-which included the payment of any necessary class fees, the taking of ID and yearbook pictures, and students receiving their Chromebooks.

“Neuqua Valley tried this to try to eliminate some of the classroom interruptions with kids going down to pay fees,” principal Dr. Darrell Echols said.

There was no doubt that Echols not only knew the days would help students prepare for the upcoming year, but also give them the opportunity to complete the tasks all in under a few hours.

Although Echols is optimistic about the program, students have mixed reactions. Some students believed that it was an annoyance to have to come early in the morning while still on their break.

“It’s a little frustrating because I didn’t really want to come in before school started,” senior Jenny Couch said.

A lot of students also tended to find the order of tasks confusing. However, several parent and staff volunteers were present to assist the students in completing the entire process with signs placed to mark the number of each station.

Photos by Aimee Leal and Kellie Foy

While many other students shared mixed feelings, some of them agreed with Echols’ viewpoint. They also acknowledged the importance of conserving class time.

“It keeps everything organized for what you need to do to prepare for the year and what you need to sign up for,” sophomore Sharika Majeti said.

In addition to the annual Freshman Orientation held last Tuesday, the program also gave incoming freshmen an extra chance to acquaint themselves with the school. Specifically, they were able walk their schedules and practice opening lockers, which are pivotal for a successful first day.

“Freshmen have an opportunity to come here and check their lockers…and so they’re going to feel a lot more confident coming in on day one,” Echols said.

Connor Smith, Spotlight Editor
Connor Smith is a senior and the Stampede’s spotlight editor. He is thrilled to return for his second year on staff, as he previously served as sports editor during the 2016-17 school year. Aside from the Stampede, Connor also is a member of Metea’s Chamber Choir and Madrigals group, in addition to being a FreshConnect...
Avani Shah, Headlines Reporter
Avani Shah is a headlines writer and a junior. This is her first year on staff. She is a martial artist and an active Twitter user. She can often be found petting every dog on her street, or @avaniishah on Twitter.
Kellie Foy, Sports Editor
Kellie Foy is a junior and the Sports Editor on The Stampede. This is her second year on staff and participates in BG Stampede. Outside of the sports world, you’ll find Kellie working church retreats, sassing everyone, and constantly listening to Skillet and Jon Bellion.
Ben Weiss, Perspectives Reporter
Ben Weiss is a junior perspectives writer for Metea Media. It will be his first year writing on staff. He’s also involved with The Mane, Bass Chorus, and Metea’s theater program. Ben’s quite the workaholic. His poor social skills are only rivaled by his desperate need to be liked, along with other insecurities. But outside...

3 Responses to “Readiness Days jump start the new year”

1. C28 on August 24th, 2017 7:27 am

Yo! Conner, GG!! Good article.

2. ...me on August 24th, 2017 2:16 pm

I found it anoying but it’s not a bad idea gets everything out of the way at one but kinda anoying.

3. A on August 25th, 2017 9:53 am

Amazing article Kellie and Connor. Keep it up 😛

• Readiness Days jump start the new year

News

Unified basketball team receives mayoral recognition

News

‘Our Town’ introduces new take on theater

News

BREAKING NEWS: Student found with a knife at school

News

LMC holds author visit with actor Keegan Allen

The Mane

The rise of kids dropping Encore classes

News

WE Day motivates students to make a difference

News

Senior checkout in LMC to return Chromebooks

News

Vote for your most influential teacher

News

Submit your questions for Keegan Allen

News

Submit your “Senior Secret”

Readiness Days jump start the new year