Connor Smith

Connor Smith, Spotlight Editor

Connor Smith is a senior and the Stampede's spotlight editor. He is thrilled to return for his second year on staff, as he previously served as sports editor during the 2016-17 school year. Aside from the Stampede, Connor also is a member of Metea's Chamber Choir and Madrigals group, in addition to being a FreshConnect mentor. He loves music, travel, sports and is interested in pursuing journalism as a post-secondary goal.

All content by Connor Smith
Kane County Cougars showcase excellence in sports and entertainment

Ben Weiss and Connor Smith
May 15, 2018

As Summer Break approaches, it is customary for students to begin making plans with friends and family to fill the next three months. For many, one of the most exciting and beloved summer traditions is...

Justin Timberlake brings the woods to Chicago

Justin Timberlake brings ‘the woods’ to Chicago

Connor Smith, Spotlight Editor
April 2, 2018

t’s no secret that superstar Justin Timberlake enjoys performing. Last Wednesday, I attended the second of two nights of his “Man of the Woods Tour” at United Center and the entire performance was...

Unified basketball thrives at state, creates special meaning for seniors

Connor Smith, Spotlight Editor
March 21, 2018

For the second consecutive season, the Special Olympics unified basketball team competed in the annual Illinois High School Association Unified Basketball tournament in Peoria this past March 16 and 17....

Why a re-tool may be necessary for a struggling Chicago Blackhawks team

Connor Smith, Spotlight Editor
January 19, 2018

As a passionate Chicago Blackhawks fan, one word comes to mind without much thought to describe the team’s 2017-18 season: mediocre. A 22-17-6 record may seem respectable with 37 games remaining....

U2 remains relevant and evolves its sound with Songs of Experience

U2 remains relevant and evolves its sound with “Songs of Experience”

Connor Smith, Spotlight Editor
December 7, 2017

This past Friday, veteran Irish alternative rock band U2 released its highly anticipated album “Songs of Experience”. The album was released as a companion album to 2014’s “Songs of Innocence”,...

Students express mixed opinions on how Veterans Day should be honored

Students express mixed opinions on how Veteran’s Day should be honored

Connor Smith, Spotlight Editor
November 10, 2017

ince 1938, Veterans Day has been a significant holiday for several Americans. Unlike Memorial Day, the day pays tribute to all veterans who have fought for America, living or dead. Originated as “Armistice...

A behind-the-scenes look at Audrey II: the man-eating plant

A behind-the-scenes look at Audrey II: the “man-eating plant”

Connor Smith, Spotlight Editor
November 2, 2017

When theatre director Nathan Bramstedt chose the timeless horror comedy “Little Shop of Horrors” as Metea’s first ever fall musical, he knew it would be a significant addition to the school’s collection...

Eight Chicago Blackhawks games every fan should watch

Connor Smith, Spotlight Editor
October 5, 2017

Photo by: Brittany Coates October has arrived, which means that a new season of Chicago Blackhawks hockey is finally here. While all 82 games definitely matter, it can be a challenge for most fans to...

Thomas Kuhn demonstrates his passion of sports through Special Olympics and Unified Soccer.

Connor Smith, Spotlight Editor
September 6, 2017

Photo Courtesy of Chicago Fire When senior Thomas Kuhn first came to Metea Valley High School as a freshman, he wasn’t sure what path he wanted to take to get involved.     As a lifelong...

Readiness Days jump start the new year

Connor Smith, Avani Shah, and Kellie Foy
August 24, 2017

Dr. Echols provided an enthusiastic welcome to a new school year during Metea Valley’s inaugural readiness days last week to prepare the entire student body for the 2017-18 school year. The days included...

Ultimate Frisbee continues to succeed and expects positive results at State.

Connor Smith
May 19, 2017

Since March, Metea Valley’s Ultimate Frisbee teams have continued to sustain the dynamic success that the program has been accustomed to over the years. Although this season has had some strange effects...

Boys track takes pride in recent success and looks to end the season on a high note

Boys’ track takes pride in recent success and looks to end the season on a high note

Connor Smith
May 4, 2017

Since January, one group of athletes has consistently been giving its strongest effort. Throughout endless practices and hard-work both on and off the track, both the varsity and junior varsity boys'...

Girls soccer opens season with a capitalizing victory

Girls’ soccer opens season with a capitalizing victory

Connor Smith
March 23, 2017

Girls’ varsity soccer opened its season with a dominating 4-1 win over DuPage Valley Conference rival Wheaton North at Mustang Stadium on Saturday. The entire game was filled with action and intensity,...

March Madness aims to continue its excitement and thrilling surprises

Connor Smith
March 16, 2017

Each March, sports fans make brackets, bet money, and create fantasy leagues with friends and family for one of America’s most popular and intriguing sports tournaments: March Madness. Although NCAA...

Former NFL player J.R. Niklos aims to inspire local athletes at Acceleration Sports

Connor Smith
February 22, 2017

Since 2008, former NFL fullback J.R. Niklos has co-owned Acceleration Sports, a local business in Naperville. The facility is dedicated to helping local athletes achieve their full potential and setting...

Wrestling thrives at conference and looks to continue their success

Connor Smith
January 30, 2017

This past Saturday, the boys wrestling team participated in the annual DuPage Valley Conference meet at Lake Park High School. While the team showed tireless effort throughout the day, notable...

Special Olympics help Pack the Stands in victory over staff

Special Olympics help “Pack the Stands” in victory over staff

Connor Smith
January 20, 2017

TWednesday, the Special Olympics basketball program hosted its annual "Pack the Stands" game in the main gym on Wednesday. The game lived up to the excitement of previous years' games, with a 67-57 victory...

2016s top moments in sports

2016’s top moments in sports

Connor Smith
December 12, 2016

Although there's still three weeks to go this year, 2016 has been a year full of memorable sports moments. From broken championship droughts to new records, there have been plenty of highlights for fans...

This IS the year: a look back at a historic Cubs championship

Connor Smith
November 4, 2016

Game 7. A championship on the line. Two teams, the Cleveland Indians and the Chicago Cubs, whom have had amazing playoff runs, had the two longest championship droughts in baseball. In a back and forth...

Photo by Amanda Brennan.

Girls’ cross country brings in success and looks to build for the future

Connor Smith
October 20, 2016

As the fall sports season quickly comes to an end, one group of athletes has experienced great success in the past few months. Having just came off a 3rd place finish at the DuPage Valley Conference Championships...

Photo by Ethan Meyers.

Why “this could be the year”: a 2016 Cubs playoff preview

Connor Smith
October 7, 2016

"Try not to suck." It's safe to say the 2016 Cubs have definitely lived up to manager Joe Maddon's expectations, as he is well known for motivating the club with the above slogan. It's also a fair...

By Brittany Coates

Livingston inspires, and gives students a new outlook on music

Connor Smith
October 3, 2016

It's no secret that the music department has often been regarded as one of the best in the business. Having won a Grammy for music education last year, it has proved that every ensemble and director takes...

Photo by Connor Smith.

Soccer gives back, and pays it forward

Connor Smith
September 20, 2016

This past Saturday, the varsity boys' soccer team traveled to downtown Chicago for what would be a morning full of helpfulness. The team paired up with Chicago's St. Patrick High School for a team-building...

Load More Stories
Connor Smith