Candidate: Kader Sakkaria

Photo courtesy of Kader Sakkaria.

Candidate: Kader Sakkaria

Tell us about your high school experience. What clubs or activities were you involved in? 

I went to high school in India, in a very rigid learning environment. I had failed eighth grade and so was conscious and anxious about my academic success. I did make time for cricket and soccer clubs, though, both of which I enjoyed.

As of March 5, Metea had the highest number of positive COVID-19 cases in the school district. How would you help reduce the transmission and keep students safe?

First of all, we can’t fully, 100% reopen a school until it’s safe. Some elementary schools in our district are in a position to be reopened, and MVHS may be on the other end of the spectrum because of the age of its students and the trends in case numbers. To reduce transmission, and on top of standard social distancing, we need to focus on vaccines, masks, and ventilation. These are three resources that the board should be intimately involved with: How quickly can we vaccinate teachers? Does everyone have a mask? Are the ventilation systems sufficient? While we’re working on those items, and even after we’ve made progress, I also want to ensure that remote learning remains accessible for whoever needs it, for as long as they need it.

There has been discussion in the district about culturally responsive pedagogy. What steps should the district take to achieve equitable outcomes for all of its students?

To start, I support the general concept of culturally responsive pedagogy. I think it enhances the student’s learning experience and ability to be a civically-minded member of the community. With any discussion about curriculum, we need to involve the entire community. To the extent it’s legally possible, the board needs to hold more public forums, and individual members should not shy away from granting interviews. If we’re talking about a more narrow definition of pedagogy as teaching methods, then that still involves the community, but it really gets into how we work with our educators. My wife is a substitute teacher who happens to be a Muslim woman, and she’s happy to bring that experience into the classroom just as any teacher would want to enhance their students’ experiences. The question is then how we make sure educators have some degree of access to that breadth, and also the tools necessary to deploy portions of culturally responsive pedagogy that may not be part of the formal training they received before getting their license. It’s very difficult to achieve an equitable learning outcome if we don’t properly value and support our teachers.

What are the district’s biggest strengths and the biggest weaknesses?

The district’s biggest strength is its commitment to providing academic rigor for those who seek it out. For instance, my eldest daughter was well prepared for her pre-med college program by the education she received in 204. The district’s biggest weakness is very much intertwined: Its equitable access to quality educational resources. There are big gaps in this district with regards to how accessible AP classes are, how accessible mainstreamed learning is for students with special needs, how crowded classrooms are, and so on.

What is your vision for high school students?

My vision for high school students is that during high school, they have a welcoming learning environment and the resources they need to maintain their health, especially mental health, and their ability to learn. During these years, I also want high school students to be exposed to a wide range of information, hands-on experiences, and possibilities for their lives post-graduation. Ultimately, I want them to graduate high school empowered to be successful on whatever path they choose. A big part of this empowerment is ensuring that students have the space to make their voices heard while still in school, and that’s why I support the creation of a democratically elected Student Advisory Council that would work closely with the elected officials of the board.

What makes you different from all the other candidates?

Among this field of great candidates, I have a unique technical background that will inform my ability to advocate for students’ post-graduation preparedness. I have also been explicit about the steps I will take once elected, from school reopening and remote learning accessibility to budget reviews to examining systemic changes to zoning. I will also highlight the Student Advisory Council, both in terms of the number and diversity of students I’d like to see on the council, and inclusive in terms of how closely I want this council to be engaged with the board’s business. This degree of detail across a breadth of topics is, I believe, superlative in this race, and demonstrates the careful thought I’ve put into running and what I’d do if elected.

METEA MEDIA • Copyright 2024 • FLEX WordPress Theme by SNOLog in