Photo courtesy of Laurie Donahue

Candidate: Laurie Donahue

Tell us about your high school experience. What clubs or activities were you involved in?

Symphonic and Marching Band, Varsity Synchronized Swimming, National Honors Society, Exchange Club

As of March 5, Metea Valley had the highest number of positive COVID-19 cases in the school district. How would you help reduce the transmission and keep students safe?

Everyone needs to continue to follow the guidance given by the DuPage and Illinois Departments of Health and the CDC, including wearing a mask, hand sanitizing, social distancing, and following quarantine instructions. We’ve found that most cases in our schools are associated with activities outside of school. I ask everyone to be diligent outside of school by following the guidelines and limiting activities with groups of people in close proximity. When qualified, I encourage people to get the vaccine.

There has been discussion in the district about culturally responsive pedagogy. What steps should the district take to achieve equitable outcomes for all of its students?

Equity is a continuous and ongoing area of focus for the district. Our board considers this a top priority. If you go back four years, you will not find equity in our goals. Now you will find equity included in both district and board goals. While I have been on the board, we created a cabinet-level position in support of equity, published a district-level equity statement, and have been reviewing all LMC materials and curriculum with an equity lens. These are all good steps that take us in the right direction. Going forward, I will actively participate in actions to continue with our plans to build and execute a long-term equity strategic plan. This plan will build on our equity statement and lay out a roadmap of actions to continue improving our high-performing district. For immediate actions, the board needs to advocate for identifying and removing barriers for student success. Our curriculum needs continued review to be inclusive and to recognize the contributions of all. We need to provide the resources and support to excite and challenge each of our students, including our pursuit of a diverse staff. I commit to continue being an active, engaged board member striving to create an environment that eliminates disparities and embraces our diversity. 

What are the district’s biggest strengths and the biggest weaknesses?

There are so many areas I consider strengths, it will be hard to restrain the amount I write in response to this question. I am enormously proud to be on the board of a continuously highly ranked district. US News had our high schools ranked in the top 5% in the nation, and recently, Niche gave high rankings to our middle schools. This achievement is because of the hard work of our students, teachers, and administrators. Our district mission is, “Inspire all students to achieve their greatest potential.” To make this reality, we need to offer opportunities that inspire every student. Our robust set of curriculum choices, amazing Emmy award-winning arts programming, sports, and diverse vocational opportunities are constantly reviewed for new innovative possibilities (like our new rocket science class) to help our students be successful in the world beyond District 204. The district budget is a weakness. If you add up all the state educational mandates, we are only funded at 80%. 203 is at 117%. The majority of school funding comes from taxes on local property. Our district has a lot of residential property, which brings in students, and less commercial real-estate compared to other districts. The state categorizes school districts in Tiers with Tier 4 being the wealthiest. Indian Prairie is a Tier 2 district. Given this situation, it is impressive to see our accomplishments. We do an amazing amount with our limited resources!

What is your vision for high school students?

I hope that your experience in high school prepares you to achieve your dreams. I can’t wait to see you apply your creativity to bring solutions to today’s problems and make this world a better place for all. 

What makes you different from all the other candidates?

I’ve jumped out of an airplane…. Just kidding (but I really did this), a bit about me: I have a BS degree in Computer Engineering from the University of Michigan and an MBA from Benedictine University. My career in telecom consisted of leading large business and technical teams including a $1 billion procurement program and a $250 million investment portfolio. I retired in 2018 to devote more time to school district functions. Being on a school board can be more than a full-time job. When I am not busy with board work, you are likely to find me at Edward Hospital or in the schools with one of my therapy dogs. Maybe you visited with Nessie or Pippi when I visited Metea last year. I lead the League of Women Voters’ “Voter Girl” program, teaching students the importance of voting. I am also on the board of directors for the Indian Prairie Educational Foundation (IPEF) which brings many great programs including, holiday concerts, Fine Arts Festival, and robotics tournaments to our district. As a current board member, I spent the last four years learning all about the complex world of Indian Prairie. I bring a proven track record through my board experience, career background, an extensive history of volunteer integrity, and the ability to work with others to create success. Vote #4 on the ballot for District 204 on April 6.

METEA MEDIA • Copyright 2024 • FLEX WordPress Theme by SNOLog in